Need help turning off the sms

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cake90036, Jul 7, 2011.

1. cake90036 macrumors regular

I did the steps that apple provided and i still hear clicking

In Terminal, which should still be open from the previous step, you can disable the Sudden Motion Sensor by typing sudo pmset -a sms 0 and pressing Return (changing the setting to a zero disables the module).
    Type your administrator password when you are prompted and press Return.
    Type the sudo pmset -g command again to be sure that the setting has been applied.

When I did the last step... the sms had a 0 next to it.
    For the record I have a 2011 15'' macbook pro and the reason i want it off is that 1 its annoying and 2 I installed an ssd (smokin fast):cool::cool:

With that being said can anyone help me out.. maybe im doing something wrong.

Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

"0" is the setting you want, if you want the Mac SMS disabled. If that's what -g reports, you should be good to go, as far as the Mac's SMS goes.

I'm going to assume you have both a SSD and HDD installed, otherwise there's nothing that can click. If you still have a HDD, it could have built-in SMS (it's called different things, depending on the make).

Even with SMS enabled, you should never hear a head unload click due to motion detection unless you physically move the Mac - and move it briskly (though, there have been reports of very loud sounds triggering it - like live (loud) music).

Some drives have a noticeable click as part of their power management.

3. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the fast response!
    I only have an ssd no hdd.
    This is the profile that comes up after putting in the last step
    Active Profiles:
    Battery Power -1*
    AC Power -1
    Currently in use:
    halfdim 1
    sms 0
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    gpuswitch 2
    disksleep 10
    sleep 10
    hibernatemode 3
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 2
    acwake 0
    lidwake 1

The sound comes around anytime the computer moves, basically when its not on a table top which it isnt most of the time, that is why I am trying to turn it off asap.

4. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The only other things I can think of is some part of the optical drive moving, or, maybe, loose fan bearing, if it's an older MB (I believe all Unibody models have magnetic bearings, so I don't think they'd be able to make any sound).

Another thought (seems kinda basic, in hindsight): move the MB when it's already sleeping or, better yet, off. This would eliminate any question about SMS being responsible for the sound.

The SMS sensor is solid-state, so there's nothing that can make noise when moved either.

6. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope I tried that. Isnt the sms a sensor that is separate from the hard drive so even tho i have an ssd it would still work if tilted. Has anyone one on this message board turned off the sms in a 2011 mbp. It is too sensitive and it is really annoying. IT MUST BE TERMINATEDDDD:cool: <--- terminator lol