Need help upgrading ram on a 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xanderstone12, Jan 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Xanderstone12, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

Xanderstone12 macrumors member

Xanderstone12

I'm trying to breath life back into this older iMac. It was given to to me by my aunt who swore it was done with. I purchased snow leopard to try to get to a newer OsX but it only has 1 gig of ram. So I cannot get anything newer than 10.8 on it. That renders it useless to me bc I want iCloud and things to sync up. I don't know the first thing about this computer and would like to buy ram for it so I can upgrade it.

Is it worth it?

What ram do I need?

I saw the install videos on YouTube and it looks easy.

Attached Files:

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Installing the RAM in these isn't much trouble, just unscrew the bottom plate (one screw) and place your new RAM in. The memory you will need is DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz) and there are two slots. I recommend 4GB (two 2GB), which will improve your computer's performance massively over 2GB. Here's a good website to purchase it from http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/6400DDR2S4MP/

By the way, "Snow Lion" isn't an OS. Do you mean Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7), or Mountain Lion (10.8)? Oh, and this computer can be upgraded to the latest OS for free.

3. Xanderstone12 thread starter macrumors member

Xanderstone12

Oops! Yes that's what I meant. Thanks for posting that. I have snow leopard on it now. But it's very outdated . iChat,MobileMe. Obsolete stuff. For a free computer I can't complain I just want the satisfaction of getting it up and running.