Need help with a backup solution for my 3 computers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tyreal, Sep 1, 2009.

1. tyreal macrumors member

I have a Windows tower, a Macbook unibody, and a Macbook pro. I need to back these machines up in a more efficient manner. Currently I have a small external hard drive I use to manually backup important files, but I need something automated, and much bigger.

What's the best way to do this? I was thinking about getting a couple 1 TB internal hard drives and installing them into my PC tower for a RAID 1 array. Should I use Timemachine for both the macs and a different app for the Windows machine?

Overall, I want to mirror all three computers, and then setup incremental backups for important files such as docs, pics, music, and vids. I'm sort of lost in what all my options are. Any help would be appreciated.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

It's not a good idea to have the backup drive within the same computer as the drive that it is backing up. Rather use an external enclosure.

RAID 1: Protects you from drive failure but not from yourself accidentally deleting a file.

There are software solutions for incremental backups in Windows but don't ask me for names. TimeMachine won't work with the PC.

3. tyreal thread starter macrumors member

Why is that?

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To make sure that whatever affected your computer doesn't affect your backup at the same time.