Need help with buying mbp thank you

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marshallbedsaul, Jan 27, 2011.

1. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Hello,
    I have a chance to buy a macbook pro for my gf she only uses the web mostly facebook and youtube sometimes. So she wont be doing anything that will put strain on the computer ever
    The model is a
    early 2006
    MacBook Pro 15 inch Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz 1280 / 120 GB / superdrive
    price 350-400
    Trying to talk the seller to 350 shipped
    Should I purchase this model worth buying?
    Macbook is in perfect shape no flaws at all just perfect.

or stick with a
    MacBook (13-inch Early 2008) 2.4 ghz 2gb ram macbook 450.00
    thanks for your help

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's a bit on the older side, but if it's in good shape, that would work great for her use

3. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

thats what I am thinking its in great shape no flaws at all runs just fine, but its nearly 5 years old.

4. aCondor macrumors 6502

I would stick with the Macbook circa 2008 - if both are around the same price ($300-350).

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

The Macbook is faster, as it has both a more modern processor, and higher clock speed. It's also lighter.

On the other hand, the MBP will have a better screen, is aluminium, and is cheaper.

I can't really help you choose between them though, as they are different beasts, and her tastes will obviously be different to mine.

6. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Could go either way

The only thing is that if that thing goes bad that repairing it will be nearly impossible. If you spend a little more money you will most likely get a new, more reliable laptop. Totally up to you, I feel like for 400 bucks if that's all she does you could get a decent toshiba or hp. Both decent computers what she is trying to do. I mean apple is great:D and all but if that's all she is doing does she really need a 2006 mac when she could get a brand new computer? Probably not, but that's just my 2 sense.

7. zodqyv macrumors regular

I almost never recommend a Windows PC for anyone but for that amount of money there is no way I would buy a five year old MacBook (especially not a 2006 Yonah model) over a basic commodity notebook. If all she is doing is facebook and youtube then don't waste your money on worn out hardware.

8. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna go out there and suggest an iPad for $500 (new).

It'll do email, facebook and web browsing. And if in the future she REALLY wants a keyboard, she can get a keyboard attachment for it.

9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

i dont think the 2006 is an aluminium one, isnt it the old plastic model?

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My only concern with the 2006 core duo would be the 2gb ram limit on it. If you can live with it, then it is a good price for that machine if everything works fine.

11. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I also recommend an iPad.

It'll do everything she needs and it's brand new with a warranty ;)

It's the perfect solution for your budget.

12. aCondor macrumors 6502

Well if we are going to start recommending computers I recommend the Mac Pro. Get the 12 core with 32 GB memory. Facebook will work fine until 2070. And with this beast of a machine there is no danger in your girlfriend taking it with her when the relationship sours! It's a win-win!

13. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

For $500???

14. Gnomecircle macrumors newbie

As far as I can tell, that could be the only problem here.

I've using that very same computer for 4 years now, and while I am anxiously waiting an upgrade, it has treated me good the whole time. Recently, with CS5 and Parallels it lost some of its oumph, and I am convinced that if I could put more RAM into it, it would roll for another year at least.

That being said, when I get my new MBP at next refresh, my wife will be inheriting it. I know it'll last her at least 2 more years, unless there is a breakdown of some kind. It is a solid computer and it only really slows down if I run two or more demanding proggies at the same time.

We also have iPads. She uses her at work in lieu of a computer, but she is having a rough time of it because of difficulty of creating invoices and order forms in a spreadsheet. I believe that everything else that she does with it is great.

The iPad is a great lounge-about and portable web surfer, but anything that "requires" more screen real estate could get tedious after a while.

IMO, both options are good. Although, you will probably get more wow-factor out of the iPad.;)

15. Gnomecircle macrumors newbie

...and you should be able to get the price down to around $400. You can use the iPad as an argument. :D

16. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Please do not get an iPad, if you going to spend $400 and want something that will suffice as a computer buy a toshiba or hp. I feel like your gf will be much happier especially if she wants to do any major typing. I've used an external keyboard on my friend iPad it gets annoying real quick.....

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If all she is doing is surfing the web and watching YouTube videos, I'd get something super cheap. Not even sure I'd go with a Mac, but at least you know she's less likely to pick up a virus.

So, if the old one sells for $350 or so and will do what she wants, sure, why not?