Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuluIB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Hi there.

2 days ago my 2012 MacBook Pro crashed and I've Had to do a start up recovery because my mac kept crashing when it was starting. Before it crashed, it froze and I had to press the restart button. Is like to know what the error message was as shown attached. I play a multi player game online for over a year and i was hoping to know if it might be a factor.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.PNG
    IMG_1556.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 188

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you reboot into safe mode?
Do this:
1. Power down, all the way off
2. Press power-on button
3. Immediately hold down shift key and keep holding it down through boot.

It should bring you to a log in page. Then log in and see if you can get to the finder.
Does this work properly (try it a few times)?

If it does, it indicates something wrong in your account (the rest of the software is OK).

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Were you able to get in to macOS/OSX recovery? Or do you mean something else when you said "I've Had to do a start up recovery"?

You may be having issues with your disk. Your screenshot says it couldn't create the swapfile. In the macOS/OSX Recovery, have you tried running Disk Utility?

In this Apple support document, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
there's information about going into Recovery and from there using Disk Utility to repair the disk (there are links in the document to information on repairing the disk). You can also see if there's enough free space on the disk.

If you are having problems with your disk, if you can go to an Apple Store, they can check out your computer to see if it's the disk or the disk cable. MBP's from 2012 have had disk cable problems and Apple has replaced these cables for free if you take in the computer.

LuluIB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Were you able to get in to macOS/OSX recovery? Or do you mean something else when you said "I've Had to do a start up recovery"?

You may be having issues with your disk. Your screenshot says it couldn't create the swapfile. In the macOS/OSX Recovery, have you tried running Disk Utility?

In this Apple support document, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
there's information about going into Recovery and from there using Disk Utility to repair the disk (there are links in the document to information on repairing the disk). You can also see if there's enough free space on the disk.

If you are having problems with your disk, if you can go to an Apple Store, they can check out your computer to see if it's the disk or the disk cable. MBP's from 2012 have had disk cable problems and Apple has replaced these cables for free if you take in the computer.

Hi there. So I already done a Mac OS recovery 2 days ago and my mac is working fine now. il try do a disk utility. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering if this could have been from overheating my mac when I'm playing my multiplayer online game?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Hi there. So I already done a Mac OS recovery 2 days ago and my mac is working fine now. il try do a disk utility. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering if this could have been from overheating my mac when I'm playing my multiplayer online game?

I'm not sure what you did when you say "I already done a Mac OS recovery" but it sounds like you didn't use disk utility. The Intel CPU's can sense heat and are very good at forcing itself to decrease the speed it runs at and then shutting down if need be. If you had an overheating issue, you would have heard the fans, the performance would have dropped and the computer may have shutdown. If you didn't have a shutdown, it's not likely that overheat caused the issue in your screenshot.

As to what could have caused your problem, it could have been a unusual occurrence that won't happen again. But your disk could also have problems - something more likely if you have an older drive (if you have a mid-2012 MBP and the drive is original to the computer, that's considered old in computer terms). If you don't already, you should have at least one backup of your drive.

If you have the mid-2012 MBP and only have 4GB of memory, then there could have been an issue with the computer running out of memory and having problems with the swap to a HDD, if you have an HDD. If this is the case, you may want to consider more memory. But you should monitor your memory usage while you're playing the game before deciding this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.