Need help with Mac buying addiction.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSlave, Apr 27, 2009.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

Okay, if anyone has any advice on this problem, or suffers from similar sympoms, I'd greatly appreciate any advice on a cure....

It goes like this..

You buy a Mac. usually an iMac or a Macbook Pro. Everything is fine. Your happy. A few months down the line, you start getting the itch to trade up to something else, usually the reverse of what you've just got (i.e. desktop > laptop, laptop > desktop). No matter what you do, eventually you will succumb and make the switch...and then a few months later the whole sorry process starts happening again.

Somebody please tell me what's wrong with me! (politely please). :apple:

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You are a victim of today's consumerist society and Apple's very svelte looking products.

I don't blame you. Unless you have the money to keep this sorta thing up :D Then you need to send me over a Mac Pro or something.

3. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

If I had the sort of money to afford a Mac Pro, this could get a lot worse!! :p

Any cures that you know of? So far I've tried slapping myself in the nether regions with a slipper whenever the thought enters my head. So far, all that's given me is an empty wallet and sore balls.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've not found a cure for the bug unfortunately. Let me know if you find one though as I have owned 3 of the 4 non-unibody MacBook Pros... (I had to stop buying MacBook Pros because I need my editing laptop to have a matte screen and want the portability of the 15".) (So I guess if Apple made all of their computers and displays have glossy screens, then it would make me stop... Oh wait, they did do that... Maybe that's why I haven't upgraded in a while.)

5. Psychmike macrumors regular

At the risk of pontificating, here are my 5 cents:

Today's Western society does not adequately support the development of things that are intrinsically fulfilling; solid relationships with friends and family, gentle reflection and self-discovery, giving to others, and growth. Many people therefore feel a low level chronic sense of anxiety or inadequacy. We often do not feel 'known' to ourselves or to others.

At the same time, consumerism gives the appearance that everyone else is perpetually happy. It promises us the means to achieve that same happiness by buying their products or services. Buying something these days rarely means enjoying your own experience. Instead it means being handled to have the experience a marketer intends everyone to have. Apple gloriously provides An Unpacking Experience. Movie theaters bombard you from entry to exit with The Next Packaged Experience (Movie X with Food Combo Y).

While contemplating said purpose, we have a temporary sense of control. That's why some people obsess for hours and pour over small details. When we purchase the desired object, we may feel a temporary sense of completeness or joy. Some people imagine that everyone is looking at them as they pull out the laptop for the first time. Some people admire the perfection of the objection as a narcissist would admire their own reflection. There is a cost, however. People can become upset when the desired object does not produce a permanent sense of completeness. Some people obsess about keeping their possessions perfect. They polish and protect. They fret over every little scratch. They protect their things as they would protect their own self-esteem. They fret when the next product cycle comes and they don't own the latest and greatest.

Owning something does not provide true happiness but our experiences reinforce over and over again that they MIGHT. Perhaps the next car. Perhaps the bigger house. If you're anything like me, looking back, believing that owning something would make me happy has only in the long term made me feel less adequate.

Take a deep breath. Go for a walk. Laugh. Turn off the TV. Breathe. Give something away. Really listen to a friend. Nurture the things that really make people happy and owning things won't mean so much.

Best of luck!

P.S. Does anyone know when the Mac Tablet is coming out?? Just kidding! Kind of.

Michael

6. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Without a doubt, the singularly most helpful and complete description of my issue. I feel better already!!

Thanks Michael!!

7. Psychmike macrumors regular

You're very welcome!

Peace be with you and with your sore balls! :D

Michael

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

This sounds like a good description iAD (i-Acquisition Syndrome) - must have anything that starts with a lower case 'i' ;)

I have a similar problem (NAS) Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Great post Michael.

What I found very ironic to all of this was the following comment by the Steveness himself-

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i clearly have a similar issue. i've kinda gotten over it lately, but i am currently looking to buy yet another mac. it's been over 2.5 years since i last bought one, and with my new job, i feel like i need to reward myself. i hope i'm not starting the cycle over again

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Wouldn't that be iAS?

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

buy a laptop AND a desktop

If you use computers even 1/10th of what I use them for its completely worth it to have both.

13. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Consumerism has enslaved you through your own shallow materialistic desires. The only solution is to discard all your worldly possessions, rid yourself of this evil, give that MBP to me, and head for the mountains. :D

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try funding my Harley addiction! That'll cure ya! :D

15. Nasty Roo macrumors member

Thank you Michael, your insightfulness on the situation has changed my life for the better.

:) Great post

16. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to print Michael's reply, and keep it on me whenever that buying urge hits me.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

not a bad idea

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get something else to revolve your life around instead of computers. Get into guitar playing or video games or something. Then you stop caring about the computer specs and just care if it is working or not.

19. anubis macrumors 6502a

I also have a problem similar to the OP's: Canon L-disease ;)

20. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I think I have that disease a bit worse than you do ;)

21. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

...says the guy with three computers and two ipods ;)

Just kidding of course.

22. Psychmike macrumors regular

Yeah, there is definitely something about photography equipment that grabs people with a bent towards art and technology. So many people are forever comparing resolution, contrast, sharpness, etc., etc., etc. Something similar seems to happen with audio buffs too.

But if you look at much of the really good old photography, the technical aspects often SUCKED. The subjects weren't always in focus, contrast was so-so, and it isn't hard to find the odd hair or dust particle.

Perhaps us techies have the belief that the right equipment will provide the right experience.

23. Psychmike macrumors regular

Wow. Thanks for sharing!

24. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Well, I admire the poetic words that were posted above me, but they don't provide me with sustenance. TO me, they feel like have a poster of the steps to recovery and simply looking at them hoping to recover.

My down solution to spending is to have two accounts, a checking and a savings. Every paycheck, I move ~$250 into that account, or more based upon if I made more that cycle.

All in all, I made the mentality that the money in that account essentially disappears once I move it in there.

And Presto change-o, the money that I hold in my checking becomes my "funds". It works for me, though I don't much suffer from consumerism.....

25. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I always end up needing a desktop if I get a laptop or vice versa. My cure is buy them both at the same time and be very happy!