Need Iphone 3G help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mlgisback, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mlgisback macrumors newbie

I recently Jailbroke my phone and with the new update coming out I'm kind of worried. If I just let my phone update through Apple will it get bricked? If so, how do I back up my files so that I can restore?

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

It should not brick it. It will un jailbreak it though.

3. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it like definitively sure that it wont brick my phone? I'm aware that it would likely remove the jailbreak apps but I'm fine w/ that anyways.

4. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering the question btw, I'm a newbie and don't really know that much.

5. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Also how do I backup my files? Do they just backup automatically if I like sync it with iTunes?

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Here is what you do old buddy. You restore before you update. Then rejailbreak after the update. Then bing bang boom and iphone jailbroken with 2.2

7. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Are my contacts all backed up on iTunes as well?

8. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Before restoring, or updating your OS, be sure to empty any Categories folders that you may have.

9. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol jeez where do I go to do that? I'm honestly just fine w/ losing my jailbreak as long as I'd be able to update on Friday and have my phone not be damaged.

10. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

This only applies if you have Categories installed. If you don't then don't sweat it. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't have it installed. ;)

It won't "break" anything, but it may cause the White Apple Logo of Death, necessitating another restore.

P.S. This precautionary steps applies whether or not you plan to jailbreak the new OS. Also, if you don't plan to jailbreak in the future, disable the battery percentage display, if it is enabled, and undo Make It Mine, if you have that installed.

11. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm assuming I don't have Cats in that case.

What precautionary step are you referring to? And I don't believe I have Make it Mine, but what purpose does disabling the battery graphic serve? Or is the percentage thing you're talking about an actual number graphic that shows up rather than the normal picture...?

12. mlgisback thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for all the questions though, I'm really just trying to figure this out and don't want my phone getting ****ed.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Updating a jailbroken phone does not brick it. All a software update will do is erase any files or folders not native to the software and seal all holes in security and flash new firmware. In other words, just jail your phone again.

Other than that, you will be fine.

14. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I was referring to what I said in my first post, about emptying any Categories folders.

Make It Mine replaces the carrier name with whatever you choose. If you didn't do that, you're good there too. :)

This isn't a big deal, but it's one of those odd things that updating the OS doesn't revert back to factory. In other words, it's a big notice that your device has been jailbroken. ;)

If you have Boss Prefs installed, there is a setting that allows you to "Enable Numeric battery." This is a representation of the battery life as a percentage.

As with Make It Mine, this hack will remain in effect after a restore. That's not to say that anything bad will happen--Just that it will be obvious that it has been previously jailbroken.