Need iPhone 4gig restore help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twodollars, Aug 8, 2008.

1. twodollars macrumors member

So today I received the iPhone that I got off of ebay, brand new, sweet. Well, when I unwrap it and plug it in it won't let me connect, it kept giving my stupid errors. I tried several things including the Home/Lock reset deal and that work, it connected. But then it said it needed to restore, I downloaded the new 2.0.1 and it won't install, it keeps giving me unknown error (6), and it's pissing me off. I've never had trouble like this with another iPod or phone.

I am on a Windows Vista laptop by the way...Thanks.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Reboot the computer if you haven't already. In fact, maybe try another one. Does the connect to itunes screen appear?

3. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it does.

Just restarted this PC and I'm downloading iTunes to my backup, hopefully one of the two works....

4. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Just to note it says it's in recovery mode as well.

Just got the error again on this one...****...

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

6. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Same error occurred on a Windows XP...

Really don't want to try that with a brand new phone, but my options are dwindling and I've only had the phone for a little over an hour....

7. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

8. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Same error?!?!

This is ridiculous. And I've got work in five minutes.

9. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Download the firmware again, it may be corrupted

10. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Are you SURE its a brand new iphone?
    They haven't made the 4gb ones for a while now and it seems odd that someone somewhere just kept hold of it for 6 months before putting it on eBay.

I could be wrong of course!

11. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So you're saying someone may have repackaged a lemon iPhone for him? Sneaky bastards! :eek:

12. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

The guy ebay said his former and broke so he got it replaced from Apple Care with a new one but got a 3g on the same day.

He had 200 feeback at 100% positive, so who knows.

13. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Also it was received exactly like I got my iPod Touch with no marks whatsoever so I doubt he lied.

14. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

After trying that hardcore restore, my screens stays white and now my iPhone shows the connect screen while being connected.

I'm screwed....

15. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

I should probably throw in that I bought a sim card on ebay, it's a 3g Cingular card, would that cause any issues?

16. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

SIM card should be NBD. If you truly made it to DFU mode though, the screen should be black on the iPhone, not white. Did you follow the instructions exactly?

17. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the screen does go black and then iTunes finds it with the iPhone still being off, and then it just goes pure white.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Did you try holding down the Home Button and the On/Off Button and let the iPhone turn off. Don't slide to shut off power, but let the iPhone shut itself off while you continue to hold the Home Button and the On/Off Button down. Then turn it on in the same manner. The silver apple should show up. This is called "a hard-boot."

19. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

I haven't had the slider bar/emergency call since right before I plugged the phone in originaly. I only get the silver apple, connect screen, and the white screen. That's it, period.

And yes, I've tried that, thanks though.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Can you get to an Apple Store tomorrow? Hopefully it's still under warranty, what's the first five number/letters of the Serial Number? That way we can tell what month and week it was manufactured. Example: my 3G is 88830XXXXX 2008 Aug 30th week

21. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't have an Apple/ATT store within three hours, which is why I got the first gen so I could activate it at home and hopefully avoid any issues by getting something that had been in manufacturing for a while. I don't even own a car (can afford it, just no big need where I live, especially with gas near $5.00 here), so a bus trip would be a huge hassle.

I have a crazy work/class schedule and probably can't get this straightened out for a while. This sucks.

22. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

5K827 is 2008 week 27, 5K is possibly a replacement/refurb, b/c my v1 iPhone was 5K747XXXXX, 2007 Oct week 47, and my 5K was a replacement/refurb. You might be able to take it in and get it replaced. PM me if you want. Also remove/edit the numbers/letters after 5K827XXXXXX for your protection.

24. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm going to try to call Apple and have them send a box so I can it in. I don't have another day off for five days so this would be just as fast and much cheaper. I still have a second Verizon line which I fortunately didn't cancel yet.

Is it even the 27th week of 08 yet?

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It has passed, b/c my 3G was purchased on August 4, '08, hence SN 88830XXXXXX Factory=88 Model Year 8=2008 Week=30. The seller must have just replaced his older iPhone 4GB, and that's a good sign.