Need new 21.5" iMac with Celeron G1820 processor, 4GB RAM, and 500GB HD...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by waltchan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. waltchan macrumors member

That's what I want, and how can I get Apple to build this basic iMac for me for around $799.99 area. I'm sick and tired of seeing all these useless, overpriced luxury specs that I don't have any use at all. I have not been a returning Apple customer since way back in 2007, and don't even know what's going on at Apple right now (or the company and the people here). Actually, I didn't know Steve Jobs already past away until now.

I'm sorry for creating this thread, but my frustrations with Apple just seems to grow each year. :mad:

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

buy refurb'd or used. I used to feel this way, however I've come to realize that I'd rather buy a high end product from a couple years ago, than a current low end product. Get a lightly used Core 2 Duo or i5.

3. waltchan thread starter macrumors member

Refurb or used is out of the question for me. I always end up going with Microsoft PC each time for replacement because it starts at $299.99 price on average. I'm totally surprised iMac's starting price increase by $200 compare to 2006-2007 iMac models before. You would think iMac prices should start at around $800 by now given price drop in PC parts today.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

There's so many other manufacturers out there, why would you want to stick back to Apple if you complain about its price tag?

There's a premium we pay for the good hardware that usually doesn't break down as often as others and also a good user experience, plus good design.

5. Dustman, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

… But you're basically saying that you'll only pay 300 anyway. If you absolutely refuse to use something used thats in your budget, get a better job. You want nice things but can't afford them.

Also… why would you choose a new Celeron over a used i5. It's a desktop, its not like it's been dropped or .. moved for that matter. The only thing likely to ever go is the HD which is like 50 bucks..

As much as I hate the car analogy (so much…) I'd rather buy a used BMW over a new Hyundai.

*Typed on my USED Macbook C2D 4GB Ram 10.8.5, that I purchased for 240.*

6. DavidG328 macrumors regular

What about a Mini?

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I think the reason Apple has such highly speced Macs is to help make the UX a lot more enjoyable.

I had an '06 MacBook CD with 2GB of RAM. It surfed the web fine but doing some minor edits in iMovie or anything with Flash took it's toll. Facebook gaming was terrible.

In 2012 I bought an '10 MBP, the one in my signature, and it's been wonderful. A few times it feels as if I'm running out of RAM but that's a little my fault for doing too much at once. Unless I get Mac Fever I plan to use this for at least mother 5 years and I'm almost certain I'll have no performance issues doing so.

Buying a lower end PC could leave you with Flash and other UX problems right out of the box. Spend a little more now, use it for a long time, and enjoy it.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Really though, Apple could make a fast, cheap laptop. It's been happening in the Windows world for a while now. The Apple tax goes into the construction, and attention to detail, not the specs. It appears as though the OP really wants a slower Mac, but with that awesome build quality. It exists… It's called the Refub and second hand market. He's too good for it though so he'll get another $300 Sempron plastic laptop instead of getting a $400 Aluminum C2D Macbook with some minor signs of usage.

Mountain Lion is pretty smooth on a C2D.

9. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

That's like asking BMW to design you a 5-series with a Chevy Malibu engine for half the price. Apple doesn't make cheap Macs. It's not their target market.

As others have suggested, if you want an iMac without the premium price tag, buy a used one from eBay or Craigslist. Same reason people buy used cars. You get something nice without paying the premium for brand new. Plenty of 2-3 year old 21.5" iMacs available on Craigslist for $600-$800.

10. DanTSX macrumors regular

If Apple built a celeron iMac for the $800 or less price point, a lot of people would buy it, and it would fail to make their expectations of an apple product. It would be slow feeling within a year. The people that bought them would feel that Apple took advantage of them. On the other hand, people who buy current apple entry level computers get a computer that lasts them for quite a while and keep coming back for other products because they feel they got a good value.

If you are not willing to buy even an apple factory refurb or used, your options are to go without if you will not pay.

I suggest waiting until a product changeover and watch the refurb store and snag the outgoing generation's lowest or second lowest end model for $1000-$1100. I've been buying refurbs for years and never had a bad experience.

11. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

So how many times did you buy new PCs in the 7 years since you bought from Apple? I bought an iMac in 2006 and that lasted me until late 2012 (and it's still working today as a server). I would have bought 2 or 3 PCs in that time just so the processors could manage the latest anti-virus software.

12. waltchan, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

waltchan thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for not updating this thread. My concern is not the premium price alone, but are the iMacs really that price competitive today in real world? They need to do a reality check. After Steve Jobs died, to me, I think Apple is already in trouble with its marketing positioning, and they may NOT be able to survive in the next 10 years or so due to aging hardware, consumer awareness of their higher prices, more and more competitor sellers, and declining number of technology inventions. Look at their stock prices falling lately.

Back in 2006-2007 when all-in-one PCs were 3 times more expensive than today, and iMacs were at $200 starting price lower than today, it was more economically wise for me to choose iMac over a PC, and I was glad I bought one. Now the gap has widened today by 5 times the amount, and all-in-one PCs now start around $399.99 today vs. $1,199.99 in 2006, lately, it's no longer economical for me to consider another Apple computer anymore. I accidentally let Apple slipped out from mind and forget about them since the last 5 years or so.

And yes, I still have the 2006-2007 20" iMac white-plastic version today. It was a good value back then. It's now 7-8 years old and I don't know when's the right time to upgrade, and I fear I may no longer be a returning Apple customer. Money is not the issue here, but I'm always pessimistic and concerned all the time whether I get a good value purchase or not (2014 iMacs are not good value at all, sorry to say, and Apple is taking advantage of the extra greedy profits had I purchase one).

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Sure, go try finding a PC that has a PCIe SSD and a display that's got a color gamut that is comparable to that of the iMac's.

And also go try finding a PC that's got a minimalistic, elegant design.

Apple could make an iMac with the mediocre specs that you wanted, but you'd be complaining about how slow it runs within a week of buying it.

14. ball4lyfe macrumors newbie

Sounds like your then-new-now-old iMac should still be more than capable of serving you, as you shouldn't need any more computing power than what you have right now.
    BTW, my newer Macs/iDevices have been just the right value for me simply because I could afford them and that was the choice I made for myself.

15. waltchan thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I can afford the new iMacs, but the value amount is so terrible I won't even think about it. Sorry, Apple, another Lenovo PC is coming for me when Windows 9 is released, and my iMac will be nearly 10 years old.

If I have to start over again, I would have bought the first-generation aluminum 2007 iMac instead of the white plastic 2006 version. It's unimaginable the 2007 aluminum iMacs can run through Mavericks today and still not be obsolete.

16. ball4lyfe macrumors newbie

Don't be sorry. Apple too won't be sorry to lose another customer like you.
    Oh btw, you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The cold fact is that Apple products cost more...that's it. The real bonus comes in when you re-sell them...they hold their value very well, and coupled with Applecare, the re-sale value rises again.

Sure, I can go out and buy or build a top spec PC, but secondhand? It's not worth much. Couple that with the the expense of essential applications like NOD32, anti malware etc etc and the constant reminders about updates, and I for one would not care to venture back into the MS camp. I haven't owned a pC for years, and nor do I wish to bootcamp any of my Mac's....It's a case of getting what you pay for I think.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Many people have done reality checks. And every time they did, it turned out that while Apple isn't in the market building cheap computers, any computer that you can buy of comparable quality and specs costs the same or more as a Mac. The last check was that you can't even build a computer comparable to the very expensive new Mac Pro for the money that Apple charges.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Exactly. If you look at the actual price of FirePros on the market, the FirePros on the Mac Pro is comparatively cheap.

That's the reason there's two of these 12-core, 12GB FirePro monsters sitting under my desk.

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Now that's just plain ol' fashion greedy sir!:)

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I didn't buy them...but my dad did and he explained that the FirePros were comparatively cheap compared to its actual unit price (he's a physicist and he does a lot of rendering work :) )

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd love to get my hands on just one of those 12 cores....I do a lot of work in Logic X and I reckon I'd be blown away...sadly, funds do not allow!:D

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP: The other thing to bear in mind when buying is the services Apple provide to you gratis....Icloud, Photostream etc. The cost of maintaing those servers so tha every time you take a picture with your iPhone or Ipad, they appear in your PS is not buttons...The Windows environment offers no such services.

I will probably get slated for this, but I really regard Windows as a gaming platform now.

24. DavidG328 macrumors regular

These are some of my favorite posts. The ones where someone is apologizing to Apple before they explain how they're going with a PC. No one cares, especially Apple.

25. businezguy macrumors 6502

Actually, I'm always surprised the opposite hasn't happened. Why is Apple designing all of the high end computers and taking home the profits almost exclusively in the PC industry? How will companies selling $300 machines with almost no profit survive in 10 years?

Apple could fail to make a profit for the next 10 years, and they'd still have billions of dollars left. In fact, they'd have well over 120 billion dollars left. Apple continues to become increasingly relevant.

The fact is, with a 27 inch monitor with a 2560 x 1440 display, and high end components, Apple is on par price wise with competitors. When you factor in the all in one set up and how well designed it is, they do not have a peer in the industry.

No other company has the integration Apple has with hardware, software, and design. Why no other company has managed to acquire this level of integration remains a mystery since it has obviously led to such a profitable company.

So I turn the question around and ask, how are companies selling $300 PCs going to remain in business 10 years from now. Why aren't more copying the approach Apple takes?