iPhone 7(+) Need new phone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tbabynyc, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Tbabynyc macrumors newbie

Tbabynyc

I am currently still using the iPhone 7 Plus product red since it first came out. I know it’s old. I noticed after year 2 the battery is starting to drain quicker and it’s becoming annoying to have to charge the phone twice a day.

Question is should i wait till September to see what apple brings out or just get the 8 Plus or XS max?

Opinions needed. Thank you.

2. burrzoo macrumors newbie

burrzoo

I'd just get a new battery & wait for the 2020 iPhones. They are looking to be such an improvement! If you're really considering an iPH 8, an XR would be a much better choice.
    Since you seem to hold onto your iPhone for awhile, maybe wait until 2020. Just a thought.

3. tivoman macrumors newbie

I’m to the point where I would just get the phone battery replaced, instead of spending lots of money on a new iPhone. If I was going to get a new iPhone in July/August, I would wait for the new one to come out. I would either get the new model or last year’s model at a cheaper price.

4. infamousnxtAir macrumors newbie

Wait for the new iPhone to be released in September. The prices will drop and you will save some money.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

We know nothing about your financial situation so . . . .

6. pojo1806 macrumors 68020

Replace battery and wait until 2020 or get an XR.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would just deal with the inconvenience of charging your phone twice a day, that way you can make a more informed decision in the fall if you want the latest iPhone or the Max/8 Plus. It doesn’t sound like that your phone is completely beyond to the point where it can’t survive, you just will have to monitor the battery life for the next seven weeks.

8. internetrando macrumors 6502

internetrando

Wait a couple months if you can handle it. Even if you wind up buying the same phone it should save you a few bucks.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

The fact that it wasn't mentioned kinda indicates it's not an important factor, no?

10. ericwn macrumors 68030

Get the battery replaced if nothing else is wrong with the device and have peace again for a year or two.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No. That would be assuming, no?

12. Aliciakeystx macrumors member

Yes, you are so close to SEP

13. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

While I just bought a used iPhone X (it didn't even arrive yet), I agree with anyone else here: Wait until September if you can. While the next generation looks disappointing from all the leaks, used prices should fall a little after the presentation.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

No, it would be inferring based on available information. Assuming would be drawing a conclusion with no evidence.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Thanks for your correction, your screen name tells it all.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Don't be like that. You asked.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Thanks, you too.

OP, if money is not a factor I'd say 100% wait until at least you see what's announced for the 2019 lineup before deciding. If you'd rather save some dough, get yourself an 8 or X. I'd give up my XS for a X with the same storage in a heartbeat.

19. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

I would wait just a little longer and buy one of the new releases in September, for sure. Your iPhone 7 will definitely make it till then.

20. Ludatyk macrumors 68000

Ludatyk

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t bother to upgrade from the X to the XS when it was released. I highly doubt I’m upgrading to this year iPhone either.

2020 iPhones will be highly sought after. I would suggest the OP to replace their battery... iOS 13 will make their iPhone feel brand new.

21. Elitegate macrumors member

Yeah, i would definitely wait atleast until September. Then maybe get the iPhone 11R or however it will be called. Otherwise the 8 Plus, X or Xr / Xs are still great choices, even after the 2019 iPhones are released.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Highly? I’d say that depends on the pricing that Apple offers and/or what their trade-in revisions look like at that time. I don’t care if 5G makes a difference or not, there’s a reason Apples phones are great with hardware/software, but their prices are not reflective of the market that’s currently saturated. Pricing is the key for the future, not the 2020 iPhone model itself.

23. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Pricing will be incredibly interesting with the 2020 iPhone lineup though. Prices for many of the currently expensive parts will slowly start to fall, especially for the OLED screens. 5G chips and antennas might add a lot to the price though.

24. Ludatyk macrumors 68000

Ludatyk

Well, the reason I stated "highly" is due the rumors surrounding the 2020 models. Obviously, it's going to look different compared to X/XS and this years iPhone. That's a win for those who wants something "different." Supposedly, Apple plans on having USB-C... a win for those Macbook/Pro/Air USB-C owners and just about anyone that's been waiting for it. I'm not even concerned with 5G, it's in infancy.

I don't think the XS was as popular as the X when it was announced and based on this years model... I doubt this years iPhone will be as popular as the X in terms of selling. I'm just looking at how most people look at iPhones when it comes to interest. The look is the deciding factor.

Pricing is the key for the future? True... but Apple didn't bat an eye when X was announced for $999. And I bought one as soon as preorders open. This is going to be trend for pricing, it's not as if Apple plans to lower pricing for the upcoming 2020 iPhones. I would predict that the pricing would stay at its current state.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I’d say wait. What’s “old” really? If you can put up with the battery for just a little longer, the 7 Plus is still a perfectly good phone. Given that all the rumours are that next year’s phones will be major upgrades, you might even consider just replacing the battery and keeping it for another year.