Need opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AllVol, Jul 3, 2013.

1. AllVol macrumors newbie

I am looking to either get a maxed out 13 in air or the 15 rMBP. i know these are vastly different machines in what they can or cannot do. The maxed out air is relatively close in price to the base 15 retina. Clearly the retina has bettrer hardware. I would be doing some light gaming. i am just concerned about all the horror stories i have heard regarding the 15 retina model. If these issues have been fixed, then great. What do you guys think would be the better choice?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

it depends on what you want to do with it. What's more important? the screen? battery life? storage?

I wouldn't want an MBA for my main system, but an rMBP would do.
    But if it was a 2nd system for travel I'd go for the MBA.

3. zombiedave macrumors newbie

If gaming then I'd say rmbp. But you need to give a bit more detail as to your needs.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

By the best you can afford... said someone, at some point in time... whom, can't recall.

I don't like the Airs but thats me, I would go for the rMBP, even a 13" rMBP over the Air.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

What are your concerns exactly? Care to provide links to these "horror stories"?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

There are tons, but there are more happy users than not.

PS, everything has a horror story OP.

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Very true and plus "horror story" is very subjective. See thread below. OP considers his problem the end of the world, numerous user say it's not a big deal.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1599917

8. zipur macrumors 6502

I can tell you that I have both. Just picked up a MBA13 for my wife last week. Spent all week on it, playing. MBA is a beautiful machine fun to carry around, it is supper light, kinda like an iPad almost. Fast and responsive, and the screen isn't as bad as they say. I had no wifi issues and got almost 10 hours of use on battery. Speakers are get for a small devise, everything else is like any other apple product. Solid and tight.

rMBP people complain about the screen image retention, I don't have the problem. Retina is beautiful but all in all I think I would prefer longer battery life. Haswell will impact that.

Both do not have DVD Drives. rMBP has HDMI out, the AIR needs a TB Adapter, the rMBP is faster for most users it's not noticeable. Only in picture editing and thats a small part of my life.

All in all it comes down like to what has been stated tons of time before. the AIR is much more easy to lug around, the rMBP is gonna be heavier. I like the Air a lot and if you need a better screen, connect it to a TB Display. YMMV as with everything. 2 cents.