Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I've just bought this new macbook air yesterday. and saw this tiny little missing corner next to the black hinge at the bottom. Other than that everything is perfect!
Should I return it or keep it?
Can you guys give me some suggestion please?
Many thz

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,756
Last edited:

BASTI51

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
I would return it. Where did you buy it? Here in germany I had also several problems/returns with iProducts like iPads and rMBP and every time I called the AppleStore I got a brand new product/exchange, an 100€ discount on this order and an additional 100€ discount for my next order. So good luck with you.

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I would return it. Where did you buy it? Here in germany I had also several problems/returns with iProducts like iPads and rMBP and every time I called the AppleStore I got a brand new product/exchange, an 100€ discount on this order and an additional 100€ discount for my next order. So good luck with you.
wow thats nice policy.
I got it from Apple store. just not sure what issues will i get if i get the other one. QC nowadays is really bad:(

BASTI51

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
Yeah I was impressed by that too. So I got a brand new 3rd gen iPad for 239€ (2x100€ + 40€ BTS). And I asked myself, how could they do that. But I think it's all "cost minimization" because as you can see here for example many peaple just don't care. So under the line, faster and increased production with poorer QC in combination with very good discounts for people who care for good quality seems to be cheaper than a general better QC.

And customor satisfaction is also pretty good :) Another question is if it is the same in your country.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
You can barely see it. If it really bothers you, you can return it as you are within the 14-day period. But to be honest, I would simply keep it.

jt90

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
It really depends on how much it bothers you and if it is convenient for you.

For example I buy my Macs from the Apple store online as there are no Apple retail outlets nearby, so exchanging it is going to be a hassle.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Some people forget that Apple are doing them a favour by selling this stuff.

Like others said, turn it over and keep it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've just bought this new macbook air yesterday. and saw this tiny little missing corner next to the black hitch at the bottom. Other than that everything is perfect!
Should I return it or keep it?
Can you guys give me some suggestion please?
Many thz

My suggestion is don't go out of your way looking for flaws because you will always find them and never be happy.

Keep the MacBook Air, use it and enjoy it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Keep it, how often do you flip it over and examine the underside of a laptop? If you use a shell, you'll never see it and to be honest its so minor that its not worth the time and effort to exchange imo

BJJBear

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
If it was me I'd return it, things like that really drive me nuts as crazy as it sounds, but that's just me.

tortex

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
I'd return it as you dont know how it happened on what lingering damage is inside.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'd return it. If Apple themselves saw it like that they wouldn't have sold it. They do have standards as do their customers.

Its not a big deal but if you're anything like me you'll know its there and it will haunt your dreams forever :)

----------

It is a screw of which there are ten around the base of the air for dismantling.

tut

Do you honestly think he meant the screw or were you joking? :confused:

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
I agree with YOU QC is not great anymore it took me 3 Ipads to get one that was nearly perfect.. But I agree with most, it will hurt your resale value ( people will think you dropped it ) and it will ALWAYS bother you even though it is so small it will always be there so you might as well take care of this NOW while you still can.. If you dont get another PERFECT one KEEP returning them until you do! DONT SETTLE! You work hard for your money get what YOU paid for! JMO...

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
Keep it. It is a very minor blemish, the kind that your Macbook will have after about a year of regular use anyway (unless you intend to keep it in a glass dome).

It is also hardly noticeable, looks more like a spec of dirt rather than a dent in the body. I doubt it will be noticed by anybody else other than you and I doubt it will hurt the resale value as well.

Not worth going through a replacement if this is the only issue you've had with it.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Personally it took me a good minute or so to find out what you were talking about, so I'd just keep it :p

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Your MBA's top/side surfaces will look the same in a couple of months. Can't imagine that little ditch at the BACK of your laptop could bother anyone. Anyhow. Anywhen. I wouldn't even notice it, really.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
One of the chinese on the factory floor dinged it b/c of lack of sleep. It's like a unique one :D

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Basic rule of thumb: if you can only find the defect with a magnifying glass, and have to post a macro picture of it on the internet to get advice, it isn't worth returning for.

I mean really. Apple products may be great but they are made by humans, on Earth. Nothing is perfect.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
For me it would depend on how I bought it.

If I bought it locally and could get it replaced the same day, sure, why not?

If I'd have to get it RMAd by Apple and a new one sent out so I'd be without a computer for a week or so, I wouldn't bother.

But that's just me. This is really a decision only you can make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.