Need Owner Opinion (MBP 15" and 17")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vectus, Apr 7, 2010.

1. vectus macrumors member

I was wanting to get some opinions from owners of the MBP 15" and 17" models. For portability, do you find the 17" to be too much? Is it too big to carry around class/work? If anyone has experience with both, can you compare daily mobile usage between the 15" and 17" models?

I recently sold my 17" laptop (gaming laptop) because I found that it was cumbersome and backpack choices were very slim. I understand that the MBP 17 is the smallest 17 you will find. I still have my doubts in portability though.

I have gone up to local stores and experienced both models. Unfortunately they won't let me put the macbooks in my backpack so I can walk around and feel how heavy and cumbersome they are when I am on my motorcycle. :)

My main priority is mobility. I don't need a desktop replacement.

2. 22Hertz macrumors regular

That is a question only you can answer.

I have a 15" and 3 of my friends have a 17"

I've handled all the sizes including carrying them, and for me I sometimes wish I had a 13" instead of 15" being the 15" sometimes feels to big for the situation. I like screen rel-estate so I'm sticking with the 15" for now. My next notebook might be a 13"

I personally wouldn't have anything bigger than a 15" for portability, but again no one can answer this question for you.

3. vectus thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your response. I do have to disagree because I was asking for their opinions so there is no way I could answer my question.

4. alskdj macrumors member

My opinion; low end 13" or 17". The 15" is a compromise between the two models, some might argue that you will get the best of both worlds, I personally would go for either end of the spectrum. I have both a 17" uMBP and an older 13" polycarb MB, the 13" is used mainly for taking notes, carrying around to classes. When I get home, I just move the files over and work on the 17" :cool: Since your main priority is mobility though, get the 13" :p

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Having used the 13", 15" and 17" models of the MBP, MBA and MB... I find the 17" MBP to be the best. It is a little bigger but I don't find it any heavier then my former air. I can pick it up easily with one hand (if you can't... really, hit the gym). The classroom desks... I had trouble fitting my air on those desks so 17" isn't really much for me.

However, if you're going to do a lot of traveling and such, then I'd recommend a 13" if all possible. Airplane seats just sucks for any laptops larger then a Netbook so get something as close as possible.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I started with a 17, am now on a 15, getting a 13 when they refresh. While a 17 MBP will be smaller than you PC laptop, it will still take up the same amount of space.

Small with lots of power is the way to go, use the extra cash to get a nice LCD monitor.

7. vectus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! The 13" is definitely out of the question. The resolution is far too low for what I would use it for.

I run a 3x1 Eyefinity setup on my gaming desktop with 3 24" monitors (5760x1200 resolution) so portability is key as I will most likely never use the Macbook at home. I am teetering between the 15" and 17". I really did like the feel of both of them. Any more opinions of school and travel experience would be greatly appreciated!

8. flexo macrumors newbie

Hey, macrumor newbie here and IMO, I prefer the 13". I currently have the 15" and love it to death, but seems a little too big for me. It is a compromise between the 13" and the 17" but a little too much palm rest for me. To each his own I guess.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You say that your main priority is mobility. So why even consider the 17" MBP? Get a 15" one and hook a monitor to it when you're at home, if you feel like it. I like my 17" MBP because depending on what I do, I simply need its higher resolution. But its smaller brother is a little more convenient to carry around.

10. vectus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I am a little more towards the 15". The reason I consider the 17" is because it is the lightest and thinnest of 17" notebooks.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't agree. If you really care about portability, but you do need a "real" screen, the 15" model is the right choice .
    My two cents

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Indeed it is. But still a 17" ...

13. alskdj macrumors member

Each to their own :p I'm also curious as to why the 15" has a "real" screen but the 13" doesn't? Would you mind explaining?

@OP: What are you planning on doing exactly? TBH, the resolution on the 15" isn't that great either...

14. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Well after all of these opinions, I am sure that you have made up your mind.

BUT her is mine. The 15" is the best compromise. I have owned the 15 and 15 inch MBPro units and while the 17" real estate is great, I still, at time, need to carry mine into the field. If you do not need to carry out often, get the 17 inch but if you do the 15" is really nice.

Not wanting to hurt feelings but the 13" is not even a consideration. But if you can live with a 13" then it is the ultimate in portability!:apple:

15. Bibblejw macrumors newbie

My opinion is that it does depend on what you want it for. Personally, my ideal setup is:

Netbook for day-to-day travelling (lectures, meetings, etc.). It'll only be used for VERY basic word processing and occasional internet reference (can't stand it for even casual surfing).

MBP for extended work away from my desk. If I go home, or if I'm at a desk at work (I have a number of jobs that allow me time to work on uni stuff), or if I go round to my girlfriend's and do some work there. I'm tempted by a 17" on the grounds that any time I take it anywhere, it won't be the most cumbersome thing I'm taking (will generally involve clothes and other overnight-type stuffs).

iMac/Mac Pro (in an ideal world) on desk. When I actually need to throw some grunt behind the work, or want to do a number of things simultaneously (multitasking on a laptop tends to eat the battery, and I wouldn't even consider it on a netbook).

Add in a file server sitting at home with WHS on it to keep all my music/videos/docs in line, and keep the time machine backups, and it would be my ideal setup.

16. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I would get as big as you can. I have a 13 and 15 and while the 13 is slightly lighter, I dont really notice the 1 pound difference when its in my bag. The switch from the 13 to the 15 when I get home is tremendous though. There just arent enough pixels on the 13' IMO, but I guess the same could be said bout the 15 by someone using the 17.

If I had ca$h to spare I'd get the 17 and end it at that (and I'm going on the sole basis of resolution and screen size because that's whats important to me).

I just dont like apples way of forcing your hand into buying high end if you want a 17'. Hopefully they'll eventually do like with the 15 and offer a lower end option.

17. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I had a 17" that I used for my graduate classes. One of my cohorts had a 13". Mine was too big and weighed like 9lbs while his was too small screen-wise. I think 15" is the perfect size.

18. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If Apple only increased the screen resolution on a 15" MBP to 1680x1050, that would be perfect! I may be ok then with just a 15" MBP. The 15" is still the best compromise, but that would make it just so much better. :)

19. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

I personally have a 15" it works good for portability. I would recommend the 15" as the biggest laptop for portability. My friends have the 17" but they use it only for stationary settings.

20. vectus thread starter macrumors member

I really appreciate the input from everyone. There are a lot of good opinions in here. I have decided on the 15". I feel it will fit my needs a bit better. I went up to a local store and played some more with the 15" and 17" and decided the 15 would be perfect in the long run.

Thanks again!

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

something REALLY usable when you are on the go.
    I can't do nothing "serious" with a 13" ...

22. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have both 13" and 17" and I use mainly the 17". Simply put I love the real estate with out having to use an external monitor. Size wise I hardly notice the difference especially once I use it. I do have to resize pages when using the 13". I will be getting a new 17" as soon as it comes out.

23. auero macrumors 65816

24. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I'll be going for a 17inch and i'll use the iPad for portable stuff like journeys etc. I prefer not being tied to a desk around the house and with the 17" MBP's resoltuon, speakers etc, it will be great.

25. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I have no portability issues with my 17" running around campus all day. The screen is well worth getting it.

EDIT: Did not read thread, you'll still love your MBP either way.