Need recommendation for external drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by royal shrimp, Aug 20, 2012.

1. royal shrimp macrumors member

hi there!

i do a lot of video work and those videos are large in size(generally around 150-200GB) and i need a external drive since the 256 in the retina is not enough for me. i am wondering whats the best to do. i looked at some ThunderBolt drives but they are also almost 300$ more than the same capacity drive using USB 3.0. like i said, the computer i am using is a retina macbook pro

my size preference is 3TB and the least cost/best performance.

thanks so much in advance for the help guys!

Phil

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Have you considered NAS as a solution? It is much better than a single drive and much safer in terms of data reliability.

However, going back to the main point. A WD drive that has a Black Edition inside is your best bet. However 3TB run expensive, in a range of $300-$400 bucks.

3. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. wiregen macrumors member

I was on the same boat.

I bought a used 2.5" LaCie USB 3 porsche drive and stuck WD black 750gb and I use it for my FCP and lightroom library fine on the go.

Older projects I back up to a 3tb seagate 3.5" USB 3. Read and write speeds on the seagate were very impressive (160mb+) which s good enough for editing. Bought mine at costco for $120

6. royal shrimp thread starter macrumors member

What seagate drive are you talking about?(name/number) the 3TB, USB 3.0, read/write speeds and price point got me interested(also, I'm a costco member)