Need slacks for work. Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davidg4781, Jan 13, 2017.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Alright, I need recommendations for slacks for work. I work at a grocery store as a department manager so they have to look nice but not be too expensive...in case they get damaged.

I really liked Eddie Bauer but the hems kept getting frayed. They would replace them but it was a hassle. The good thing about them is since I'm short I could order them to the correct length and didn't have to pay a tailor later.

I was liking Haggar but their elastic waistband is annoying. With all the walking and moving I do they would start to fall down.

Anything else to look at? JCPenney's home brand had holes form in the pockets from my keys. Dockers has stretchy waist which would wear out after a few months and just be too loose. Old Navy and Gap didn't have the style I'm looking for.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

First, all clothing will wear out; get used to it, boss.

You seem to be targeting cheap brands. Now, paying more won't automatically mean your clothing will be well-made, but it would be worth investing in some more expensive articles that have a reputation for being well made.

Probably a crazy suggestion, but do you have any well-regarded tailors in your area?

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I get clothing wears out. The EB ones I had would start to fray within weeks. The hem would be fully open in about a month. The first few pairs I bought didn't do this and reviews were complaining about it.

The lady at Haggar said cotton does that, polyester doesn't. And their pants are polyester.

Maybe I'll try some Jos A Bank and see what they say. I don't mind paying more. Just looking for places to look to.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Firstly, cotton is far more comfortable than polyester to wear.

Secondly, as @mobilehaathi correctly points out above, cheaper clothing will wear out sooner. This is because the quality of fabric - and indeed cut - is not there to start with.

Buy better quality stuff, and it will last longer.

Thirdly, I would recommend that you buy several pairs of trousers, or slacks, not just one or two, and rotate wearing them. That way, one garment will not be worn all of the time.

5. skinsone macrumors regular

Second this. One of my sons also works in retail and Dickies pant are the only ones we found that last for several years. He carries a large amount of keys around and is constantly bending putting items on shelves.

They are very stiff at first so they need to be washed several times. He likes them for their comfort so much that he wears them even on his day off.

Walmart carries them both in store and on line and they are available in different colors.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Do they make slacks? I know their jeans are top notch. I shredded dozens of Levi's while doing basic home maintenance until my brother suggested Dickies. Still wearing the first pair I brought for round the house repair. I'll have to get another pair in the near future since the waist on this one has been gradually shrinking over the years.;):p

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Dickies had a huge line. They even do uniforms. I wear a lot of their tops. Well made, and they last. Oh, and they wash well!

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

JCrew. Good quaility and versatile pants. Not too bad price wise either, usually you can find some sale going on.

Don't buy from the JCrew Outlet/Factory Store. It's not the same quality and usually it's not even that much cheaper.

A couple man-man fashion advice-
    - Don't but elastic waistband pants. Ever. (Unless they're sweatpants)
    - Don't buy anything with polyester in it, it will probably look like crap and be hot
    - Get the right size based on your dimensions and brand and the fit of pant, they don't always correlate.
    - Get the right fit of pants. If you have a big rear end, don't wear some slim fit pair of pants that will make you look ridiculous.
    - Wear a belt
    - No pleates, no boot cut, bell bottoms, baggy. Straight fit is always safe.

9. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

L.L. Bean. Nuff said.

Easy returns if the size isn't quit right, but everything they sell is quality. But about the price of other brands.

10. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I'd like to remind you this a family message board ...

:D

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, are you seriously wearing slacks with no belt? What's going on here?

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I wear a belt. Maybe the belt is too tight or too loose? I didn't have this problem before. Mainly started when I switched from EB to Haggar, but I finally got fed up with it.

EB has a gripper in the waistband to help keep your shirt in and I guess your pants in place also.

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Agree, they are a good wear.

14. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I've been wearing Eddie Bauer pants since. Love them.