Need some Craigslist advice real quick

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Koodauw, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

So I posted my late 2008 MBP for sale this morning on Craigslist for $750.

Shortly after a guy emailed me and asked for my phone number and when I could meet. He wanted to meet ASAP. I ignored the request for my phone number, and emailed him back saying I could meet this afternoon or tomorrow. He responded asking if I would take $550 in cash today. I declined. He then offered $600, which I declined as well. Next offer was $700. I told him anything less than $740 I would pass on.

He emailed me back saying ok, lets meet now. I am a bit worried as he seems over eager to meet. I told him to meet me at the coffee shop I am at, and I set up a guest account on the MBP if he wants to try it out. Anything else I should do?

Another weird part is his email is craigs768@ourlocalcablecompany.net 768 being our area code (which I changed to protect him) and localcablecompany being Charter. I googled the email address but it came up with nothing.

This just seems a little shady to me. He seems to hot to trot. Anything I need to look out for?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Take someone with you, and only take cash as a payment

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Make sure the computer is fully wiped before you meet with the dude?

He can see it's working using the setup menu?

Take a friend or two with you, to make sure nothing shady happens, and meet in a fairly public place. Then it should be good.

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Since you're meeting in a public place you should be fine, but bring some friends if you can (are you there already)?

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Just bring someone and make sure he pays you in cash. i do a lot of stuff on craigslist and much of it gets weirder than that. My guess is that he just needs a computer now. Like the guy I met with one night at 10 PM who did not even try to negotiate on a MBP I was selling for too much. he desperately needed one for work the next day. Just specify that you will only take cash and make sure the machines wiped.

7. Koodauw thread starter macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Thanks for the responses, I am by myself, can't get anyone to meet me here on short notice, but there is about 15 other people here. Fun173 thanks for the example. Makes me feel better!

8. bizzle macrumors 6502a

9. Koodauw thread starter macrumors 68040

Koodauw

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't worry, you'll get someone else soon.

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Fixed that for you :D

13. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have sold two Macs on craigslist and never had issues. That said, I echo everyone else when they say accept only cash, bring a friend (armed or not) and meet in public-the more public the better.

14. Xavier macrumors 68020

One thing I always do is ignore the low ballers right from the start. They tend to not show anyway, which you just found out.

Serious buyers only!