Need some final convincing before I take the plunge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dball4, Jul 8, 2010.

1. dball4 macrumors regular

I'm at a crossroads right now and I need advice. Last week my father approached me and let me know that it's time for me get off the family plan from US Cellular and that I am to go it on my own. I began shopping around and narrowed it down to Sprint EVO 4G, the HTC Desire from US Cellular (comes out in August) or the iPhone 4. After exhaustingly looking through all the phones and comparing them, I still can't make up my mind. If I get the Evo, I get on Sprint's network and get Unlimited Text's, Data, mobile to mobile for every carrier for $79. If I get the Desire I get free incoming everything and 1000 minutes and 200 texts for $85-$95 a month. If I get the iPhone I can get for $75, 900 minutes, 2GB of data, 200 texts with the FAN discount for being a student.

Since I am a college student the monthly cost is important because the less I spend the better off I am, since I will have groceries and other expenses to worry about. I do have a job so I will have some money coming in during school.

I've looked at coverage maps and talked to friends who have all three and they said that US Cellular was the best overall, but AT&T and Sprint were just as good in Illinois, specially the Quad Cities and Springfield where I will spend most of my time.

Now is the part where you come in, what should I do? Should I get the iPhone which would save me a few bucks a month or should I go elsewhere? I've always desired having an iPhone, but I like what I see in Android based phones and if I switch carriers I don't know what to expect or what I would be getting into. Can you please give me advice on what you would do in my situation.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If Verizon is better in your area, get the Droid. If AT&T is better, get the iPhone 4. Forget the Evo and Sprint.

4. dball4 thread starter macrumors regular

Why? The reason why I'm leaning to the iPhone right now is because I love my MacBook, and my iPad and everything will just work better, but I just don't like the idea of switching or AT&T but if I have to I might...

5. dball4 thread starter macrumors regular

While a lot of my friends are on Verizon, I despise them and I would never switch to them...

6. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Just get an iPhone already. If you are posting here, you obviously want one.

7. reservedegotist macrumors regular

If the iPhone is in the forefront of your phone purchasing decision making then you may as well get it. If you get something else you'll have a chance of regret.

8. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

How about the Kin? That's good for a college student on the go! Hahaha.

10. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Go to the store. Play with the Evo. Go to the store. Play with the iPhone.

Purchase one.

Don't look back.

11. dball4 thread starter macrumors regular

I have another question about the iPhone. How is it for doing business type work? I'm on Student Government and am the President of the College Democrats and work for Tech Support, so I deal with a lot of emails and on the go type situations.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Depends on what you want with a phone. If you want the best features and all that definitely go with the Evo. If you want a smaller fancy looking phone go with the iPhone.

I don't know much about the Desire, so I'm not going to chime in about that.

13. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

14. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone for business and can do upwards of 200 emails on a busy day. It works great for me, though the keyboard takes some getting used to.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I really dislike this kind of statement.

What's a "best feature?"

For me, a critical feature is the ability to sync well with iPhoto or Aperture. The iPhone is best at that. Maybe the OP's 'best feature' has something to do with Google Voice. So the Android would be best for that. I dunno, there are a million ways to look at it. It depends on what he wants.

Not to mention you compare "best features" against "smaller" as if those are opposite things. What if "smaller" is the feature he wants? That just confuses your statement even more.

So saying one phone has the "best features" is just meaningless marketing-speak...the kind of stuff companies put on TV comercials that really doesn't mean anything.

16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

LOL! :D

17. Psant macrumors regular

An iPhone will get you laid in college.
    A Desire will do nothing for you
    An Evo will allow you to get hit on by nerds.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sorry. I should have been more specific. If you want 4G speeds, wireless hotspot connectivity, a kick ass GPS navigator, a huge screen, Google Voice, more reliable cell service, better social networking integration, better notification system, over the air syncing, the ability to listen to your entire music library from anywhere etc, etc, then go with the Evo.

If you want iTunes syncing go with the iPhone.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Now see, that's much more helpful than just calling them 'features.' (Even if you are padding the list. At least it's a list.)

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

It's sort of pointless to get an Evo since there is no 4G coverage in Illinois outside of Chicago.

Play with an Android phone and play with an iPhone... it'll be pretty clear which one suits you.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you prefer the evo, just say so. Or if you're going to just list some good things about the evo just say so. Don't pretend to be offering some objective comparison of features when you conveniently forget to mention 90% of the iphone's advantages. To name a few: higher res screen, higher quality pics and video, better construction (see: evo screen peeling up), a larger app store with higher quality apps, etc etc.

The evo is nice and has many things the iPhone does not, and vice versa. But if you're going to shill for one or the other don't mislead other readers by pretending that you're being objective.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's not like 4G is its only feature, nor is it likely that 4G will stagnate and not spread elsewhere.

23. troy14 macrumors 6502a

To me (as a college student as well) it depends on how much that money is important to you.

If you can't afford the 100$ a month, get the EVO. It'll be around 80$ (with taxes)

If you can, (200 texts? You're a college student, you will need unlimited) get the iPhone.

Just my opinion. Both have great service (AT&T & SPRINT)

Although it is pretty lame for your parents to kick you off their plan when you're in college.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think you misunderstand. I love the iPhone, I've owned two and I'm currently the proud owner of an iPhone 4. I just didn't want to list the benefits of the iPhone since it's easily the most publicized phone and you can find feature lists all over Apple.com and MacRumors.

However if someone gave me an Evo before I bought my iPhone 4 I'm sure I would be perfectly content to stay with the Evo.

25. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

In Soviet Russia, phone chooses you!

(get the iPhone)