Need some total n00b help here! [looking for table similar to Mactracker's]

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by gavinstubbs09, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Hey all!

I'm working on this huge project called Leopard Market (where it's pretty much a App Store for Leopard) and I am new to Xcode. I have so much to do that I get stuck along the way and need some extra help (so I'm thankful this sub-forum has lots of people)!.

So what I am looking for is a table similar to that of Mactracker (look at pic below) where I can add items to it, and trying to find the element to go with it, I can't do it. (For the thing where it says Text Cell and the blank portion to the left). Maybe one of you out there know what the object is called and the framework this is in? Running Xcode 3.1.4 so that I can build it on PowerPC with leopard. I figure in the future I will be needing more help with it :)

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unfortunately, your idea makes very little business sense.

Most people are using OS X version newer than Leopard.

People are Leopard probably already have all the apps they need. If not they know where to find them.

3. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Yet please take a look and tell me why it's a bad idea:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1705790

----------

Thanks Blake, I'll take a look :)

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you're not looking to make money off of this, then I see no reason to worry about the market size. Heck, smaller is better since people demand support even when it's free (see Flappy Birds.)

Personally, I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't make money, I'm not pursuing it. A few years ago, I was living comfortably with my parents and so didn't worry about money. In a few more years, I'm hoping that my income will surpass the value of what I need and what I want and I'll be able to comfortably pursue personal projects just for fun.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Demanding support doesn't mean you have to give them anything. Experience shows that the worst freeloaders will be the most demanding people. Just ignore them. Sad for the Flappy Birds developer who apparently couldn't cope with it, but that's why Mail has a "delete" button.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

I wonder why this is a native app, when a web app could be just as capable.

The biggest strikes against a native app are fixing it and updating it. A web app can be updated at any time, and the very next time a customer visits the website, they get the latest version. Not so with a native app.

A scrolling list of cells isn't that hard in HTML & CSS. Google search terms: html scrolling list
    Some example results:
    http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/dd/scroll-list.html
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7280389/scrollable-box-containing-list-of-checkboxes-in-html

The examples are simple checkboxes, but HTML+CSS is capable enough to make cells with other content.

There are also toolkits that greatly simplify creating web apps, so deep knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript isn't necessarily an initial requirement.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

A website can't automatically keep your apps up to date. It won't download apps that you bought on other machines. Plus web apps can't utilize Cocoa - you're stuck with DIY UI elements or buying them from someone else.

If a web store was good enough, then Apple wouldn't have made the App Store and Valve wouldn't have made a native version of Steam for OS X.

Sparkle.

9. dan1eln1el5en, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

both the appstore and steam are based around a web app, only native part is the updating/security etc. while the browsing of the stores are build around HTML...probably for making it easy to build/maintain etc.

oh forgot : webview, when layouting your GUI use the element called webview for the main application.

10. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I was able to add NSTableView, and onto my next issue.

I've never made a program in xcode so this is all new new to me. What I need help with is adding values to the TableView, and when they click on some text, a window will pop up and in each of those brackets [intro_date], etc. are linked to one object in the Table. Is there a way to code this so that it'll update like that?

And eventually I'd like to get sparkle integrated, sounds neat and there is that option to send me system info!

Attached Files: