Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Hi. I am visiting family in downtown Chicago and hit a huge pothole and destroyed my front tire. It's a bmw run flat tire I know it will be expensive to replace. Can Chicago people lead me in the right direction for a reputable tire place that can replace the tire Monday and won't overcharge? Thank you!

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
discount tire has fantastic service, my friend brought a tire that he purchased from there and they fixed it on the spot free of charge.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Thanks I looked into them but I have triple A so I think towing it to discount tire is doable

FYI if you have a base AAA membership I don't think they'll cover a tow of more than 10 miles. If you do get it towed to DT, check their website to see if any stores have your model and size of tire in stock already. If they don't have it in stock they can get it delivered (I know Michelin drops twice daily at most shops) but it will still probably be an all day affair to get a new tire.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
FYI if you have a base AAA membership I don't think they'll cover a tow of more than 10 miles. If you do get it towed to DT, check their website to see if any stores have your model and size of tire in stock already. If they don't have it in stock they can get it delivered (I know Michelin drops twice daily at most shops) but it will still probably be an all day affair to get a new tire.

Dear Lord, it took me 2 hours to get my Firestones... cheap. How in the world does it take an entire day to tire shop?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Dear Lord, it took me 2 hours to get my Firestones... cheap. How in the world does it take an entire day to tire shop?

It only takes most of your day if the tire you want/need is not in stock. I'm assuming you bought Primewell or Firestone branded tires in a common passenger car or SUV size. Firestone almost always has these in stock as they sell a ton of them. The OP needs a low profile run-flat tire which is more of a specialty item and much less likely to be stocked at most places. Most manufacturers have distribution centers around Chicago that can drop tires relatively quickly, but it will still be at least a 4-6 hour lead time.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It only takes most of your day if the tire you want/need is not in stock. I'm assuming you bought Primewell or Firestone branded tires in a common passenger car or SUV size. Firestone almost always has these in stock as they sell a ton of them. The OP needs a low profile run-flat tire which is more of a specialty item and much less likely to be stocked at most places. Most manufacturers have distribution centers around Chicago that can drop tires relatively quickly, but it will still be at least a 4-6 hour lead time.

That might explain why. Yes, mine were a nice set of Primewells for my old Forenza.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004

Seconded. Got my BMW run-flat replaced there.

Was the best price I could find.

-t

----------

Discount Tire will tell you on their website if they have your tire in stock for a specific location.

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.