Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
So yeah, I'm in the UK and looking to buy a HDTV at the minute, doesn't need to be big (20" would be perfect actually) but it should also ideally be able to hold a decent PC resolution as well (1280x1024 perhaps).

Has anyone seen anything particularly "Bargainish" in the UK lately? I don't have a massive budget but need this :p Thoughts appreciated.

Macer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
The panasonic HD lcd tv look very nice, they also have 2 HDMI sockets for a HD DVD player or sat box or even an xbox. This is the way to go in my opinion as dvd palyer and games consoles will all need a high def connection

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
That's not badly priced I guess :) The 23" would be my absolute upper limit. It's got to fit near my PC :)

Macer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
If you looking for a futre proof HDTV i would defo go with the Panasonic or anyother brand that has at least two high definition inputs.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Hm, well the reality comes that I won't be using it as a TV, purely as a screen for my Xbox 360 so future proofing not that important I suppose. I watch my TV through my iMac anyway

Macer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
What connection is the xbox 360, is it DVI or is it HDMI. I know you can get adaptors to convert DVI to HDMI and visa versa. But maybe you would be better off going with the cheapest HDTV with a HDMI socket for the xbox 360.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
HDMI, or Scart, or Component. Depending which you use. At the minute it runs on VGA through my PC monitor so anything's a step up :p

Macer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
The scart and composite will not produce a HD signal, only the HDMI on the xbox will produce the HD signal.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
LG HDTV to plug into a Mac Mini

Glad this is being discussed, because I have a related question on behalf of my brother.

He's looking for a large-ish LCD HDTV, and has been looking at these:

http://www.currys.co.uk:80/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0231331240.1148909128@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceeaddhllfglfmcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=767687&fm=20&sm=0&tm=undefined&tabIndex=1

http://www.dixons.co.uk:80/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0552065635.1148913637@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfdaddhlhkkdhkcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=673204&tabIndex=1

http://www.dixons.co.uk:80/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1020386371.1148913608@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddhlljlddlcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&sku=108185&tabIndex=1

For now, he wants the TV to watch the World Cup on, etc (doesn't everybody?!). I'm thinking that he'd be well-served also getting a Mac Mini with Front Row like I have plugged into my LG.

My question is, will any of these three TVs be driven by the integrated graphics in the new Mini?

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
I couldn't commnent on that but might I also suggest you check out PC World for LCD TV's? They often beat Curry's on price with those at the minute. Just a thought.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
LastLine said:
I couldn't commnent on that but might I also suggest you check out PC World for LCD TV's? They often beat Curry's on price with those at the minute. Just a thought.

Actually I'm trying to steer him away from Dixons Stores Group *cough* Currys.Digital in general (and that includes PC World). I used to work for them, and even knowing exactly how all of the systems work, still managed to have a situation where they had my iBook for 10 weeks and didn't fix it under their coverplan/PC Performance.

I've found out from first-hand experience that their PC Performance coverplan isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'd always kind-of known, but it's different when you're faced with the unbelievable shoddiness.

My brother is thinking of some sort of getting some kind of extended cover for his TV, so I'm leaning towards suggesting he buys from John Lewis (where he'd get a five-year extended guarantee for "free", i.e. their mark-up) or from Richer Sounds (which is remarkably price-competitive on TVs at the moment, and where the cover doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Oh I'm not saying they're great (I work for them currently) I was just commenting given that all your choices you posted came from DSG :p

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
LastLine said:
Oh I'm not saying they're great (I work for them currently) I was just commenting given that all your choices you posted came from DSG :p

Understood :) . Thanks anyway.

DSG is what happens if you let your younger brother loose on electronics purchases ;)

Just a little off-topic:

I don't know about you, Lastline, but I can't help but feel that PC World actually shouldn't be allowed to sell Macs in most circumstances.

• PC Services for some reason seem incapable of servicing Macs - but are quite capable of dealing with Compaq/HP, Packard-Bell and other non-standard PCs (why the hell is that?!)

• While I was in-store trying to get a resolution of my iBook, I heard a staff member talking some unbelievable ******** about how much faster a lower-clocked non-Mac laptop would be than a core due Mac Mini. Crap like that never changes in DSG.

• The company desperately needs some management consultancy. Staffing levels are never high enough at the busy times and stuff like that. Many of the business processes are hopelessly disconnected from one another.

I could go on, but I'm sure you know it all already

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
miniConvert said:
I just love the title of this thread... I can think of very few people who would need to buy a HDTV :p

I need mine to be delivered seeing as I'm now confirmed as one of 450 participants in the London-based HD Freeview trial :cool:

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Dunepilot said:
My brother is thinking of some sort of getting some kind of extended cover for his TV, so I'm leaning towards suggesting he buys from John Lewis (where he'd get a five-year extended guarantee for "free", i.e. their mark-up) or from Richer Sounds (which is remarkably price-competitive on TVs at the moment, and where the cover doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

I'd suggest buying from John Lewis but getting them to pricematch a cheaper competitor. Have a look at the LCD forums on the avforums website - there's a sticky called JL Price match which is a useful resource...

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
gavd said:
I'd suggest buying from John Lewis but getting them to pricematch a cheaper competitor. Have a look at the LCD forums on the avforums website - there's a sticky called JL Price match which is a useful resource...

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I'd forgotten about Never Knowingly Undersold

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
LastLine said:
So yeah, I'm in the UK and looking to buy a HDTV at the minute, doesn't need to be big (20" would be perfect actually) but it should also ideally be able to hold a decent PC resolution as well (1280x1024 perhaps).

Has anyone seen anything particularly "Bargainish" in the UK lately? I don't have a massive budget but need this :p Thoughts appreciated.
I know you are ready to buy.

However, if you can wait 6 months to a year, you might be surprised at what will be offered. Plus the prices should be coming down a bit.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah, but it's like the ipod/imac/Macbook conundrum. Buy now when you want it, or wait and do the whole thing again in 6 months time ;) NAh, I'm game for now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.