Need to buy a MBA or Pro, advice need

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Pattyinneed, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Pattyinneed macrumors newbie

Hey, guys,

I find this forum when I was searching information on MBA and MBP. I learned so much from you all. I would like to ask some advice since I never have any Macbook Air before. I am going to buy a refurbished MBA 11”-13” or Pro . Here are the choices that I could have:

(2015 released)11” MBA: 128GB

~ USD $ 729

(2014 released) 11"MBA: 256GB

~ USD $819

(2012 released)13” MBP with drive: 500GB

~ USD $891

(2014 released) 13” MBA: 256GB

~ USD $891

All above are 4 GB ram.

As I am not in the US, that is the best deal that I could find in my country and afford. The MBA I am going to purchase will be basically for web-surfing, watch video, video editing (only putting subtitles) and upload, writing my blog, and Facebook. Thinking about to install some Microsoft Word, and Excel.

The laptop is NOT for: saving any music or movies. Also I am not going to use Photoshop in this laptop. Of course, I am not a photographer who will take ten thousands of pictures every year.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I get 128 gb or 256gb? I want to use this laptop as long as I could. I am little concerns that 128gb may be not enough for future use. Is there a way to save something in iCloud?

2. The second concern is that it seems that the second offer from the local Apple is better but it is a 2014 release model. Is 2014 model similar to 2015’s? When I searched for the difference between 2, I found out that it seems the CPUs are different. The 2015’s will be faster.

3. Down to the point is: should I have a latest version but with less capacity or should I get a little old version but with bigger capacity? It is about USD $90 difference between # 1 and 2.

4. If I could spend little tidy money, is # 3 or 4 a good option? Because they provide a bigger screen. However # 3 & 4 almost reach the ceiling of my budget. Should I pick #3 or 4? Just because they have a bigger screen as I have eyes problems.

As I could not find any 2013 release MBA ( I think they will be cheaper) in my city, this is the only offer I could find and afford. What option will be the best FOR LONG TERM?

Guys, I am not a tech guy but just a little woman. I really need advice.

Your advice and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

I would recommend the 13" Air with 256gb. 128gb doesn't go far.

3. 8692574, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

8692574 Suspended

For me 8 GB and at least 256 is a must as of today, I would go for the air for price / performance but the display is really starting to look dated, so unless you are all about portability (wich the 11 inches MBA is the king of...i had one untill it was stolen from me :() a 13 pro is the only choice for me now.

edit:
    From the list you suggested i would definetly go with a recent air with 8 / 256 even a 11 inches (you can alwasy add an external screen).

(2014 released) 11"MBA: 256GB

~ USD $819

(2014 released) 13” MBA: 256GB

~ USD $891
    Although seems odd the 13 and the 11 cost the same (consider the 13 has an sd card slot that the 11 does not have!)

4. neile45 macrumors regular

I would go with the MBA with 256gb. I'm a big fan of SSD, and like others have said 128 won't go very far.

5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It would have to be a rMBP with an SSD drive for me.
    I'd pass on the MBA, i couldn't work on the screen.

6. neile45 macrumors regular

He doesn't show an option of the rMBP with a SSD. BTW, I was talking about going with the 13" MBA with the 256gb SSD

7. throAU, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

as above, 128 gb was marginal a few years ago. it's no better now.

if you have OS X plus a reasonable collection of apps, you'll likely use 50 GB or so before you store any data.

So, out of your 128 GB drive you'll have say 70 left for everything else. an iphone or ipad backup is typically a few GB (or more), an itunes and photos library can very easily get to 50 GB plus and suddenly you're out of space.

on a 256 GB drive, you'll have 200 GB to use for your stuff vs. 70 ish. it's more than twice as roomy when you take OS and other reasonably common baseline storage requirements out of it.

unless you want to go messing with hardware upgrades i'd steer clear of the 2012 MBP - heavier, worse battery life, and the 500 GB spinning disk is a performance killer.

Out of your list, i'd buy the most recent MBA on the list with 256 GB of storage or more.

11" vs. 13" is personal preference, but IMHO 13" is 'small enough' and you gain a microSD slot and more usable screen space with a better aspect ratio.

the 11" screen is 16x9 aspect, which you'll either like for movie playback (no bars) or HATE for actually working on (it's vertically cramped). Or maybe both at the same time. For me, in situations where i need a machine about 11" size, an iPad does the job.

edit: as per above poster, the retina MBP is a much nicer machine if you can find one in budget and can deal with the marginally larger size and weight. But if you can't....

8. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear all,

Thank you for advice. As I saw so many people who bought 128GB regretted the decisions they made. I would go to 128GB and totally forget the MBP which I thought that might be a good deal but it seems that it is not.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    I never know anything about the external screen. How does this work?

9. 8692574 Suspended

You plug a screen on your HDMI port ......

10. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

what are you really going to use this for? i have a 2012 11" MBA with 4GB of RAM and a 32 GB flash drive. this unit is for couch surfing at home and it is my travel companion if i ever need OS X. i have no issue with HD space or lack of RAM. if you are not storing any type of digital media, space should not be an issue. even if you had millions of pages of text, i'm guessing you'd have plenty of room. in regards to processing power, for day to day tasks, my kids use a (hand me down)2008 C2D iMac that is more than capable. so, i don't know what long term means to you, but we've enjoyed 8 years with no issue.

11. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

As I mentioned: " basically for web-surfing, watch video, video editing (only putting subtitles) and upload, writing my blog, and Facebook. Thinking about to install some Microsoft Word, and Excel.

The laptop is NOT for: saving any music or movies. Also I am not going to use Photoshop in this laptop. Of course, I am not a photographer who will take ten thousands of pictures every year."

But now the dilemma I have is: should I wait for a little while? March is coming, Apple may release the Macboor Air 2016 in which I may get more discount in 2014 MBA or 2015 MBA in refurb. Some even think that the MBA will merge with Macbook and the Apple will not have MBA again. If that really happens, the price may will have a drop.

I read some information about the release of MBA 2016 maybe in March 9? If so, I want to wait. If they release it in the third quarter. I will just buy it right away. Any thoughts?

Also, when I researched the Retina of Mac series, it seems that it will be good for your eyes as I have some eyes problems but it is very pricey for me to afford.

12. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

Based on what you've said you want a computer to do, I think you'd be very happy with the 256GB 13" MBA. 4GB of RAM will be plenty also. I have an 11" with 4GB doing most of what you'll be doing; I have no problems. A 2014 model is new enough that it should last you for several years. Do you have an option to get Apple Care, or another warranty to protect you from unforeseen problems for a couple years?

An update to the MBA in 2016 is pure speculation. There have been no credible rumors at this time. Most of us think the MBA will get the latest processor, but we don't know anything.

Good luck with your new computer. Please check back to let us know what you get and how you like it.

13. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

At the very beginning, I planned to get 11" 2015 MBA, however, so many people on the net shared there 128GB is not really enough. I think about how will it turn out after 3 years. Then decided to go 256. Also found out that 11" is too small for me.

It is the end of Feb now. I have waited too long (because my "craptop" has totally died last year). It doesn't bothering me waiting for another 2 weeks to see will there be more discount on MBA 13" 2014/2015 when the Apple release the news of their latest products.

Definitely I will update what I will finally get. I NEVER have any Apple products. This will be my first time. We will see what happens. I am little concerned that I might be not accustomed to the OS system for I have used windows for years. I guess I could go through the learning curve and will enjoy (hopefully) the benefit the powerful MBA brought.

14. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Be aware that if you have not owned a mac before there WILL be a learning curve to un-learn the windows way of doing things and click with the Mac.

A lot of it is simpler than you might expect and as a result you don't try the Mac way and go looking to try and do things in a more complicated manner. E.g., installing and removing applications... for the most part it's just drag and drop.

Also, the use of command rather than control for everything.

It took me about a week, coming from Windows and Linux to get used to the Mac and start to properly gel with it.

15. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

When you get your first Mac, you'll find many similarities with Windows computers, but there will also be some differences. Here's a link to a pretty good article by a great writer, that covers the basic differences from a normal users perspective. If that one doesn't do it for you, there are dozens of other articles on the Web, each with a slightly different perspective.

16. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the information!!! It did cover lot of stuff. Do you guys have AppleCare service? I don't intend to purchase one. Hope this will not be a problem. :confused:
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    It seems that the learning curve is quite scary. This is what I know: I know an American couple who are about 70 years old. They have used Windows for years. 5 years ago, they bought an Apple desktop. It has been super frustrating for them to use the software in Apple system, word, excel (Apple version). Once when I visited them, I also found that I totally could not get used to it. What turned out was: because of this frustrating learning process, this couple just let this computer sits in their home and just use it as web surfing and online shopping.

I hope I could pass the learning curve and enjoy the real power of the MBA.

17. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I was 65-years-old when I got my first Mac. Admittedly, I've always been a bit of a "nerdy girl," but a found that with just a little effort I became pretty comfortable using it. The Mac will do all the same things a Windows PC will do, just with slightly different key combinations. Example: 'CTRL + C' on Windows and 'Command (⌘) + C' on a Mac do exactly the same thing—copy highlighted text. You'll find using the Command key replaces the Control key pretty frequently.

The fact that you're here looking for information shows you won't hesitate to ask for more when you need it, and that you'll be very successful transitioning to a Mac.

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

I fell in love with MBA the day Steve slipped it out of an A4 envelope. I have never been the same ;)

I use the 11" MBA. Love it!

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

Patty, this book may help.

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...56780914&sr=1-1&keywords=switching+to+the+mac

20. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I switched in 2008 when I bought a 15" MBP; now, the switch was not exactly seamless, - there are some differences you will have to get used to, I put one of those handy reference comparison sheets up on my desktop for a while until I got the handy of it, but, within a short enough space of time, and with some kind assistance - such as on this very forum - it worked.

Re buying computers, don't touch the one from 2012. In 2013, the MBA was given a seriously impressive upgrade, which hugely extended the length of time of a single battery charge; in essence, you can now work for a full day on a 2013 MBA.

As to the other points raised by fellow posters, I agree that 128GB is insufficient these days; my original MBA (which I bought in 2010) came with 128GB, and, I certainly found it somewhat constraining. Get 256GB as a minimum; however, you can expect to be impressed by the speed and stability of the SSD drive over the hard drive.

22. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

Very impressed!!!! It seems that you adapted the Mac system very well. I tried my friends' Mac desktop for a few times. I have to admit that it is long way to go for me. But hopefully not too long, I HOPE. o_O
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2016 ---
    When I researched which model should I get, many people gave credit to MBA 2013 version. Unfortunately, they are not available in the refurbished list in my city. The available models are 2015 and 2014 versions. I am little concerned that people do not comment on 2014 MBA a lot. Hope it is reliable. Now I am waiting the Apple's announcement on their new products at Mar 21st so that there maybe a price drop in 2014 or 2015 version.

Based on the comments you guys suggested, I would go to 256gb and 13". But not decide to give 14 or 15 version. I guess probably 14 version.

23. Scepticalscribe, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The reason people don't comment much on the 2014 model is that the difference between it and the 2013 model is not really all that significant. In essence, the big change took place in 2013, so the key piece of advice is not to even think of buying anything older - the difference in power, battery life and so on between the 2012 and the 2013 model is quite striking and the improvements in the 2013 model over the 2012 model were dramatic.

The 2014 is perfectly reliable and would make an excellent computer; it has all of the changes that came with the 2013 model plus a few tweaks (speed bumps and so on).

24. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, you guys,

Here is another question: according to your own experience, is there any chance for Apple to have a more discount on refurbished products on their website when they release their new Mac Book/ MBA on Mar 21?
    Should I wait about 10 days? It is not super urgent for me to get this. But I would love to have one to work on at the end of this month.

Another risk is that they may sell out the refurbished model that I want.

Should I wait?
    Advice need.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2016 ---
    Thank you so much for your information.
    After reading your post, definitely, I will go for 2014 13" MBA and don't worry about it. It is wise to have 256 GB

25. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I'm not saying Apple won't announce new MacBooks on the 21st; they very well might. But there's no guarantee they will. What I do know is Apple will not release new computers that day. The earliest possible release date is likely late June, after the World Wide Developer's Conference.

When Apple releases hardware, the supply chain is full of rumors for months, frequently with photos smuggled out of China showing the new hardware. That isn't happening. Sadly, the most you could expect is an announcement. I wish I had better news for you.