Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
That's great info, it's hard to come across stuff like this. I've been wondering what larger libraries use for a while.

On the 7 Plus it had slowly grown to use 60GB, but part of that definitely was a combination of ~1 year worth of photo taking and a lot of empty storage space, so it likely never had to purge any older photos.

For comparison, my 256GB iPad that’s been in use for 3 months has 100GB storage used in total, and 58GB used by photos. I frequently use the iPad to browse and edit photos, make albums, etc.

Reactions: SOLLERBOY

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
On the 7 Plus it had slowly grown to use 60GB, but part of that definitely was a combination of ~1 year worth of photo taking and a lot of empty storage space, so it likely never had to purge any older photos.

For comparison, my 256GB iPad that’s been in use for 3 months has 100GB storage used in total, and 58GB used by photos. I frequently use the iPad to browse and edit photos, make albums, etc.

Great info, thanks!

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I'm looking at iPhone Storage. The top two in this 128GB iPhone 6's listing are -

Photos - 69.74GB - over 16K. I take a lot of photos!
Messages - 6.51GB - I save all of my conversations. They come in handy sometimes

I have 213 apps. I might use 20 of them. The others are once in awhile or there if I need them. I believe iOS11 "deletes" apps that aren't used for awhile. The icon is there but the app isn't until it's needed. I was down to about 24GB available. Recently received a message that the phone was going to optimize my photo storage. Now I have 92GB available. I'm thinking about setting my iPhone X up as new then pick and choose what I want on there. My photos are VERY important to me (mostly of my kids) so I have to they are saved in iCloud and backups. They are probably in Dropbox too.

I went with the 256GB iPhone X. Also have the 512GB iPad Pro. I don't like to be limited.

Reactions: SOLLERBOY

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I'm looking at iPhone Storage. The top two in this 128GB iPhone 6's listing are -

Photos - 69.74GB - over 16K. I take a lot of photos!
Messages - 6.51GB - I save all of my conversations. They come in handy sometimes

I have 213 apps. I might use 20 of them. The others are once in awhile or there if I need them. I believe iOS11 "deletes" apps that aren't used for awhile. The icon is there but the app isn't until it's needed. I was down to about 24GB available. Recently received a message that the phone was going to optimize my photo storage. Now I have 92GB available. I'm thinking about setting my iPhone X up as new then pick and choose what I want on there. My photos are VERY important to me (mostly of my kids) so I have to they are saved in iCloud and backups. They are probably in Dropbox too.

I went with the 256GB iPhone X. Also have the 512GB iPad Pro. I don't like to be limited.

Thats me too, I have lots of apps but just use a handful frequently...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My theory is it's always better to have too much storage than too little. Especially if somebody is on the brink of questioning if they need an additional amount to begin with. It's just the price point is steep that some can't justify The additional storage, however then they realize they wish they would have processed it when they need it most.

Reactions: blairian89

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’m in a similar boat. Also about 80GB used. 128GB would have been perfect for me, but I just went for the 256GB version to be save.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
In the past I've tried to fit into a smaller phone and although I could do it - it required constant playing with the phone and deleting this and moving that. It was more of a pain than the additional cost so now my phones are big enough to have plenty to spare

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
well nearly there...67Gb now, no matter if it was right/wrong now on the 64/128Gb, its now too late so sticking with 64Gb, on another note Apple is frustrating when doing this with Gb size phones, even worse taking away an option that was, so most people will upgrade and spend more...

What I've noticed though is there is a lot of apps taking up a lot of "documents and data" eg iBooks, I had a few synced to the device, deleted them all but still had 900Mb. Also Mail, I have 500Mb, how do I get rid of this?

I know some apps still hang on, (faceBook, DropBox) so I've started to delete them and then reinstall them.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
I have an 80+GB photo library, all of the apps I need and I barely use 20 something GB including the operating system. I could download more apps if I wanted to, but I find that just using the web browser for most of the businesses I frequent is just as easy - I would recommend that as well. (Amazon, travel, etc.)

Start using the cloud services and streaming music and you can do it with some file management.

FWIW I have unlimited data, so for me it isn’t an issue to do that. I ordered a 256GB model because quite frankly I don’t want to ever have to worry about storage management and I could keep a local copy of my photos library if I wanted to and still have plenty of room to spare.

Anyway, welcome to the life of storage management. You bought a phone that exceeds your usage at this point and you will (obviously) need to start off by changing the way you use and store your data.

There is a saying that I have heard before - buy what you need the first time, or be prepared to buy it twice.

Attachments

• AED05DA2-E759-4290-A85E-78D323DBD111.png
    AED05DA2-E759-4290-A85E-78D323DBD111.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.