Need to decide 6s plus or regular 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ambreaux405, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ambreaux405 macrumors newbie

Today is the day that I am making a decision about whether or not I will switch to iOS.
    I need a new phone, and if Google doesn't knock it out of the park with the Pixel, I will be heading to an Apple store.
    I can't decide between getting an iPhone 6S plus, or a regular iPhone 7. I can't find any reviews comparing the two. I can't find the 7 plus available anywhere and my carrier says shipping for it will be November 30th, which is a joke.
    Screen size doesn't matter to me as much...I've used small, I've used big. I like bigger more, but it's not a dealbreaker.
    What is important to me is speed and camera.
    Is the regular 7 a huge leap above the 6s plus in terms of speed and camera?
    I have a 7 reserved for pick up, but could also pick up a 6s plus instead. They are exactly the same price.
    What would I be giving up, if anything, if I went with the 6s plus instead of the regular 7? What would I be gaining if I got the 7 instead? Decisions decisions. Thanks!
    -Amanda

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

The regular 7's camera is just a bit better than the 6S. OTOH, the size difference is pretty big between the 2. If you're going to keep this phone for awhile, I would wait and just ante up the extra $100 and get the 7 plus over the 7. The extra camera is much better for portraits (Tele makes people look better than wide angle) and the upcoming 'fake bokeh' feature is a plus not to mention the much better battery life.

PS One more thing. The 6S+ will be obsoleted faster thanks to Apple's habit of planned obsolescence

3. ambreaux405 thread starter macrumors newbie

But doesn't Apple support devices for many years?
    I usually switch phones each year, so as long as the 6S plus is going to be supported at least another year, I am good.

4. auero macrumors 65816

I didn't see a drastic difference in my 7 Plus and 6s Plus photos. I'm personally contemplating on returning mine and sticking with my 6s for another year.

Go with the size that you're most comfortable with. I would never go down to a small display, even if that meant getting a last revision device.

5. BeeGood, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If speed and camera is your main concern, then your answer is the 7. It's not "out of this world" faster than the 6s+, but it is objectively faster.

Are you sure you don't care about size? They're very different phones when it comes to handling.

6. ambreaux405 thread starter macrumors newbie

I prefer the bigger size...i haven't had any phone that is 4.7" in a long time. It's just not my top priority, I guess.
    But if everything else were equal, I would pick bigger.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The 7 is much better than the 6S. There's no way I'd be able to go back.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

For my sake and the OP's why do you say that? I'm asking because I'm actually contemplating returning my 7+ and going back to my 6S+.

I'm on the fence, so just want to make sure I'm not missing anything lol

9. ambreaux405 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am leaning towards the 6S plus if I end up going to iOS.
    The 7 I am sure is faster and all that...but the 6S plus would already be plenty fast for me. Battery life is supposedly great on the 6S plus. Camera is great.
    I don't need to have the cutting edge newest thing...especially if, like I said before, it's still going to be supported for the next year.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

One thing also to keep in mind about the 6s+ phone is that it has a true HD display where the 7 is 720p. OTOH, the color management on the 7 is better (more accurate) so you may want to look at them in store side by side if screen quality is important to you.

11. Conan86 macrumors 6502

I've owned the 6s and now the 7 Plus. Honestly, the differences between the two devices are really minimal.

Speed wise, Most apps launch and perform as fast as the other as we have no control which app uses which processor on the iPhone 7. When high performance cores are used, you can feel the slight advantage on the 7 while safari browsing and other light tasks may be even faster on the 6s due to the high possibility of the 7 using the power efficient cores.

Camera performance for both 6s Plus and 7 is nearly identical as both has OIS. With a bigger aperture, the iPhone 7 performs better at night compared to the 6s and can achieve a better bokeh effect if you're snapping photos of people. The 7 also captures wider range of color as compared to the 6s. However, the color difference is really not that great unless you are comparing it side by side all the time. Unless you do a lot of photography in low light conditions, both camera will serve you well.

The only real difference that puts the Plus and the regular sized phones apart is the battery. My 6s always had to be plugged in at the end of the day while the 7 Plus lasts two day of medium usage. Don't expect the battery on the plus to last as long if you game heavily on it though, both devices can't survive a Pokemon Go outing without battery packs.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

• Size.
    • Future proofing.
    • GB for your $$$.
    Those are the primary differences. Only you know your prioroties. Decide what's of more importance for you in regards to those 3 criteria, and you'll have your answer.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Home button. Better camera. It's so much faster. Better LTE bands. The list can go on and on..

14. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

We bought a 6s+ two weeks ago. Still a great phone, and will be for years to come. One reason to get the 6s+ is all the problems have been worked out. It's a late build and will be a solid performer. The iPhone 7, on the other hand, is a new build and they are still working out some problems. I always wait to purchase any complicated tech until the manufacturer has had time to fix problems. And yes, the builds do indeed change over the course of a product's life.

15. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Having the Plus is massively different experience so I'd really make the decision based on the size of the phone you want.
    The fact you are considering a 6S probably means having the latest most up to date phone isn't paramount to you.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Gotcha. Yeah my 7+ is definitely better in those categories, but I'm not sure it's so much better than my 6s+.

Decisions decisions. I'll probably return it and if I change my mind I can always buy it again later.

17. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

The 6s and 6s+ will be supported for a good 4 years at least.

18. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Get the 7 man I love mine battery life is good and I love the new home button. Not to mention the colors are better on the 7's just my opinion but this phone is great I have the regular 7 matte black 32gb
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2016 ---
    The 6s is still a great phone but if you buy the 7 you could sell it for more money next year and get the 8 or whatever they call it. But the 6s isn't really gonna be worth **** next year. Maybe $200-$250 where the 7 still should be worth atleast $500 or close to it.

19. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I've owned both and prefer the 7, but that's because I'm more comfortable with the smaller sized device. With the addition of OIS, plus the battery life on the 7 now being sufficient for me as well, it eliminates the biggest issues that I had with the 6s. The 6s+ was a great phone for me and is still plenty fast. To me it comes down to what size screen/phone you want. If the OP prefers the larger display, then the 6s+ will make them happy for sure.

20. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Haven't heard back from you after the Pixel announcement. So have you made up your mind? :)

21. predation macrumors 6502a

Save yourself $100 and get the 6s at a discount. Unless you want black

22. Irock619, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

With today's carrier plans and the ability to have the latest and greatest every year on delivery day doesn't make sense to NOT have Apple's current flagship phone. I mean, unless they have batteries that catch fire :rolleyes: The cost of upgrading is about $100 (tax + upgrade fee), which is worth the upgrade every year from the previous model. My iPhone 7 + black was ordered on Sept 15th and is now preparing for shipment as of this morning :D

23. magbarn macrumors 68000

How are you able to upgrade every year for $100? On trade in plans, you're constantly paying monthly part of the 0% loan on the total price of the phone. You don't get that back. Resale of iphones have also taken a bit of a hit, I only got $450 for my wife's 6S 128gb and that's after being on sale for awhile on craigslist. Ebay has slightly higher prices but you're losing more on paypal/auction fees.

24. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

If you want a large display get a note 7. The iPhones screen are small for the body size. The galaxy s7 has a much larger display in a small phone. I hate the way the amoled screens are so bright white though, very hard on the eyes.

25. magbarn macrumors 68000

Not only that the colorshift is horrible on AMOLED for my eyes.