Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I have a Bluetooth mouse (Logitech v270) that I use with my MBP. Whenever I wake my computer from sleep, I have to re-add the mouse as it does not connect with my computer; the common method of moving the mouse around so that the computer knows that it's available does not work for me. I have tried deleting the Bluetooth preferences file and restarting my computer (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist), and I have also tried adding the mouse as a "favorite" in the Bluetooth settings panel. None of these help.

Are there any other suggestions that I could try to see if I can resolve this? Strangely enough, I don't have this problem with my Bluetooth keyboard, which I use with the same computer.
Thanks in advance!

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Okay thanks, I'll try that. I've actually reset the SMC a bunch of times before, for other problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I hadn't thought of doing it for this, but might as well give it a shot.

Also, I'd like to point out that my mouse doesn't have any problems reconnecting when I restart my computer—the computer can find the mouse immediately.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Okay thanks, I'll try that. I've actually reset the SMC a bunch of times before, for other problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I hadn't thought of doing it for this, but might as well give it a shot.

Also, I'd like to point out that my mouse doesn't have any problems reconnecting when I restart my computer—the computer can find the mouse immediately.

Pretty much the same for mine - restart would reconnect. It's been fine since the SMC reset, though.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Sorry for not responding back earlier. I'd just like to report back that the SMC reset fixed the problem so far; it's been fine for about a week. I'm just worried about how soon I will have to do another SMC reset. I'm curious, why is the SMC reset required in the first place? Like, why does this problem even occur at all? I guess, in layman terms, something just doesn't sync up after a while and so it needs to be reset?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Sorry for not responding back earlier. I'd just like to report back that the SMC reset fixed the problem so far; it's been fine for about a week. I'm just worried about how soon I will have to do another SMC reset. I'm curious, why is the SMC reset required in the first place? Like, why does this problem even occur at all? I guess, in layman terms, something just doesn't sync up after a while and so it needs to be reset?

The SMC controls aspects of sleep & wake. I would guess there's something in the pairing process that didn't get properly propagated to the SMC. Beyond, that... *shrugs*

I've been running for at month or two since I "fixed" mine, and so far, so good. As for it reoccurring - I don't think there's a chance unless you needed to remove the device and re-pair it. Even then, it's just a chance occurrence.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Recently, my keyboard has been having problems where it would repeat a key that I press every once in a while (for instance, I would type "Apple" and it would return as "Apppppppppple"), and my keyboard has been laggy or downright unresponsive lately, so I reset the SMC again. It seems that they are both very responsive immediately after resetting the SMC, and then the connection quality slowly degrades over time. Strange. I'm thinking my MBP in general is in pretty poor condition, as it has a few other problems too, such as freezing.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Recently, my keyboard has been having problems where it would repeat a key that I press every once in a while (for instance, I would type "Apple" and it would return as "Apppppppppple"), and my keyboard has been laggy or downright unresponsive lately, so I reset the SMC again. It seems that they are both very responsive immediately after resetting the SMC, and then the connection quality slowly degrades over time. Strange. I'm thinking my MBP in general is in pretty poor condition, as it has a few other problems too, such as freezing.

If it is a 2007 Apple Wireless Keyboard, there was a recent firmware update which addressed repeating keys (among other things). It should show up in Software Update (with keyboard connected).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.