Needed help to activate iphone 5s verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vipinlalla, Oct 27, 2013.

1. vipinlalla macrumors newbie

I had bought an iphone 5s from Ebay.com

According to the seller, its unlocked phone and has clean ESN.

The phone did came as sealed piece to me, but when i tried to activate it, it's asking me for last 4 digit of SSN and billing zip code :(

I tried contacting seller, but he is not replying to my mails, also tried to contact verizon wireless and Apple store, no help from any side :(

Can anyone let me know a way to activate it, i am located in India.

Also, while checking phone's IMEI in http://iphoneimei.info, its showing unlocked

2. jcampbell1070 macrumors member

Did u try to enter your Verizon billing Ssn and zip code. If so what is it telling u.

3. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Are you using a new sim card from your regional carrier?

4. jcampbell1070 macrumors member

It probably just Verizon trying to verify u r the account owner.

5. vipinlalla thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone did came with verizon sim, tried activating it with no success :(

Also tried local carrier SIM , still no success :(

Also, i am from India, not USA

And, i don't have verizon billing and SSN details, since the seller is not replying to my mails :(

6. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Have you tried iTunes? You may have to plug it into iTunes to activate it and bypass the SS & Zipcode.

7. vipinlalla thread starter macrumors newbie

I had already tried activating directly via Itunes as well as iphone, stil no success :(

On calling verizon, they did confirmed that the phone is unlocked, and has clean esn

8. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Try doing a DFU restore to the phone in iTunes.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Contact the seller and threaten to return phone if he is not returning your messages. He can actually activate the iPhone online anywhere in the world.

If he doesn't want to activate the phone online. Than file eBay report for fraudulent sell. An un activated phone is pretty much useless.

That will get his attention. Phone will than active with his verizon number. All his needs to do u re activate his line again with another lte sim.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Stop wasting your time and file a fraud claim with eBay. Hopefully they will listen to you, but you never know.

Glad I never use eBay; too much hassle, too much fraud, too much broken stuff.

11. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

He should have activated the iPhone before selling it.

It was my understanding since the Verizon iPhone is GSM unlocked it should work it of the box with any GSM SIM.

12. wxman2003 Suspended

Good luck. The seller probably wont give you his last 4 digits of SSN. Doubt EBAY will do much for you either. This is what happens when sellers have no clue what they need to do prior to selling an unopened iphone 5s.

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just open an eBay case for item not as described. That will force the seller to either give you the information to activate it or return it and get your money back. He sold you a phone that doesn't work as advertised. eBay will take your side.

14. vince22 macrumors member

file a claim now, its a subsidized iphone5s from verizon, seller owes money from verizon account, all verizon iphone5s in USA sold unlocked.

15. kaielement macrumors 65816

Try restoring the iPhone then take it to the carrie store. They should be able to activate it for you. Sounds like you might need a new SIM card.

16. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

The other issue is verizon may not activate the phone while the phone is over seas.

This may be a huge problem even if seller wanted to activate the phone. Because it's not on Verizon's network. And in India. Verizon cannot verify the phone on its own network.

18. vipinlalla thread starter macrumors newbie

Talked to Verizon Today,

they said they can activate the phone for another verizon number, which i don't have one :(

After activating i can use any international GSM Sim :(

now can anyone suggest from where i can arrange a active verizon account, under which i activates the phone :(:(

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

why continue this? just call eBay and say it's fraud and the phone is unusable. Hopefully eBay will listen to you. They probably wil not, but it is more likely they will try to help you. Likely though that you will be so out of luck with fraud... oh well..

Verizon won't activate unless you pay them..

20. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I don't understand why you can just put your sim card in it and have it work since 4G phones are not activated

21. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Did you try restoring in DFU mode yet?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think most of you guys get it.
    He cannot do anything without first entering the particular account holders billing zip and last 4 of his social.
    Its a security measure put there by carriers when they mail out a device under contract. In order for that initial activation that info is needed and then it will never be asked again.
    No matter what sim you put in and how many times you restore or DFU restore it wont make a difference.
    The seller should provide that info or the phone is useless.
    I still don't understand why the buyer hasn't opened a case with ebay and paypal so he can get his money back. Its obviously a phone that he cannot use and since the seller is ignoring him then he's stuck.
    Not sure why he's wasting time calling Verizon.

Attached Files:

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

My point exactly. Verizon isn't going to help, he bought a useless phone. Probably some twit bought it under contract, then sold it, then skipped out without paying Verizon. Verizon is out the cost of the phone and will certainly not help the OP. For goodness sake OP, open a case with eBay for fraud.

24. BBlue777c macrumors newbie

I agree so that the seller probably wont give you his last 4 digits of SSN. Doubt EBAY will do much for you either. This is what happens when sellers have no clue what they need to do prior to selling an unopened iphone 5s or 4s.[​IMG]:mad:

25. aneftp macrumors 68040

Not exactly true. I activated iPhone 5 s verizon via web. I am in Florida and iPhone 5s being activated was in California.

You can activated verizon iPhone over web as long as acct owner can do it.

The issue is it has to through Verizon servers. But OP is in India so verizon can't verify.