Needing a New Basic TV for an Apple Household.

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

We have a TV in our Bedroom from 2005, needing replacement. We are an Apple Household. We have iPhones, iPads, an iMac, an ATV 4K. We stream to our stereo via Airport Express. We have FIOS. So far, we have only streamed from our iPads.

Ideally our TV replacement should be on the small side (30-40 inches). It could be 4K but it does not have to be.

We are open to display types. We watch a lot of TV, but are rather unsophisticated about it all.

What will work well in an Apple Environment for a bedroom ?

Consider this our main TV.

Thanks

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2017
Hi

We have a TV in our Bedroom from 2005, needing replacement. We are an Apple Household. We have iPhones, iPads, an iMac, an ATV 4K. We stream to our stereo via Airport Express. We have FIOS. So far, we have only streamed from our iPads.

Ideally our TV replacement should be on the small side (30-40 inches). It could be 4K but it does not have to be.

We are open to display types. We watch a lot of TV, but are rather unsophisticated about it all.

Thanks
I’m a die hard Apple fan, but I ended up going with a fairly inexpensive 4K Roku TV by TCL, and I’m very happy with it. I discovered that I could sync my iTunes movies with the Movies Anywhere app, so I can watch all of them on the Roku tv, along with using all the regular third party apps, like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube. In haven’t felt any need to get an Apple TV box for the bedroom. And Roku is also supposed to be entering a deal with Apple for AirPlay support.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Hi

Thanks
You can't beat TCL for price and quality...

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
I’m no expert, but it’s been my experience just about every TV today is a “smart” TV. I’m not sophisticated either so I have a 32” Vizio from 2012 that’s not connected to the internet. My Mom’s TV is a Vizio E60u-d3, also not connected to the internet. I don’t trust “smart” TVs to work long term. I also don’t trust them to not spy. My. Vizio stopped getting updates after just a couple of years. If I hadn’t already had an tv I’d have been screwed. I’m gonna upgrade my TV soon now that I’m living somewhere I can mount it. It will probably be another Vizio because I don’t really care and they are cheap with my Sam’s Club membership. I’m thinking 40” or bigger. I haven’t decided yet. My Mom’s TV is hooked up to a Yamaha sound bar, YAS-108, she got this week after being jealous of my system. I use mine with stereo HomePods. She didn’t want to spend the money on HomePods. I wouldn’t have allowed it anyway since AirPlaying from tv to HomePod is still in beta. It’s too flaky for a Muggle to use.

FarmerBob

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2004
"If you are looking for alternative "entertainment" in the bedroom . . . I'd first say a "Therapist"." Just Joking . . . and I should talk, I have a 55" 4K TV with a 7.1 SS (the sub is a pro gear unit that Lady JLo would take on tour), two separate sounds systems that link together and to the patio right outside and the rest of the house. I have a Streaming TV, it's a Samsung, but I'm leaning away from that brand. Streaming sources are mixed Apple and Amazon, with Netflix available on our Dish Hopper3's and well as the TV and the ATV. So you can mix and match to your hearts content these days.

I'd start with a making a list of what you have to have to constrain your search. P.S: There are way too many toys out there and not knowing your personal druthers . . . Definitely a "SmartTV".

"Yes, I'm in therapy . . .

TVwLights.jpg

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Why don't you see if you can live without a TV in the bedroom and turn your bedroom into a room of relaxation? And then spend the money on Egyptian cotton sheets and a weekend in Barcelona or a months worth of personal training at a health club?

Reactions: sydneysider88

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
Why don't you see if you can live without a TV in the bedroom and turn your bedroom into a room of relaxation? And then spend the money on Egyptian cotton sheets and a weekend in Barcelona or a months worth of personal training at a health club?
Not everyone wants to be zen like you. And practically everything you listed is way more expensive than the tv. You’re also assuming they don’t already work out. Also, OP is grown and they know what they want.

And this is just a pet peeve of mine, but it’s been my experience when people come asking for specific advice they generally aren’t looking for life coaching on everything they should be doing instead. Let people watch TV Paul!

P.S. Hi Paul! You know I’m just mostly messing with ya, right?

Reactions: davidg4781

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not everyone wants to be zen like you. And practically everything you listed is way more expensive than the tv. You’re also assuming they don’t already work out. Also, OP is grown and they know what they want.

And this is just a pet peeve of mine, but it’s been my experience when people come asking for specific advice they generally aren’t looking for life coaching on everything they should be doing instead. Let people watch TV Paul!

P.S. Hi Paul! You know I’m just mostly messing with ya, right?

TY. At this point. We want to replace our bedroom TV. The issue is that our current TV lacks sufficient HDMI ports. We could get an HDMI switch box, but don’t want to do that. We need a more modern TV in terms of technology and picture quality. Our existing TV is from somewhere between 2000 and 2005. A lot has happened in terms of TV.

We need at least 3 HDMI ports. Four would be better. If we got a 30 inch TV that could go on our existing stand. Anything bigger would need to sit on the bedroom dresser. We have a wide budget ($300 to $1000, give or take).

BTW, we also have a stationary bike in the bedroom and use it to exercise.

Thanks.

Reactions: JBaby

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Does Samsung make a good small TV?
I have a 43" Samsung in my office... it's a 4K model UN43MU6290... not had the first problem with it... have DirecTV, Mac mini and AppleTV4K attached... and a spare HDMI port.

It's a smart TV, but I don't have any of the smart features enabled.

Reactions: frogspawn504

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I have a 43" Samsung in my office... it's a 4K model UN43MU6290... not had the first problem with it... have DirecTV, Mac mini and AppleTV4K attached... and a spare HDMI port.

It's a smart TV, but I don't have any of the smart features enabled.
Does it have airplay2?

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
What does airplay2 accomplish in a TV? Is it an important feature? Is QLED or OLED important?

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
TY. At this point. We want to replace our bedroom TV. The issue is that our current TV lacks sufficient HDMI ports. We could get an HDMI switch box, but don’t want to do that. We need a more modern TV in terms of technology and picture quality. Our existing TV is from somewhere between 2000 and 2005. A lot has happened in terms of TV.

We need at least 3 HDMI ports. Four would be better. If we got a 30 inch TV that could go on our existing stand. Anything bigger would need to sit on the bedroom dresser. We have a wide budget ($300 to $1000, give or take).

BTW, we also have a stationary bike in the bedroom and use it to exercise.

Thanks.
Maybe you should use your current TV in your bedroom and change out yourbMain TV with a larger budget! This way you can the best of both you and your significant other!

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Maybe you should use your current TV in your bedroom and change out yourbMain TV with a larger budget! This way you can the best of both you and your significant other!

We only have one TV. Our budget is not more than about $1000.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Just curious, but why do you need so many HDMI ports?
We need one for the ATV 4K. One for a DVD player. I want to have one or two empty HDMI ports, should our needs expand. I would rather not use a switch box.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
We need one for the ATV 4K. One for a DVD player. I want to have one or two empty HDMI ports, should our needs expand. I would rather not use a switch box.
Oh. I just couldn’t figure out what else someone could use and thought there may be a way to consolidate. But I see what you mean.

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
"switch boxes" are awesome.

I have consistently said I do not want to use a switch box!
[doublepost=1563324353][/doublepost]What does airplay2 do for the TV? Is it an advisable feature? We don’t need a TV that is huge (40-50 inch), but since we want to keep it for a while, we would like one with current tech. Budget is <=$1000 (give or take).

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
airplay 2 explained

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/apple-airplay-2-everything-you-need-to-know/

but given that you have an appletv already, it's kind of superfluous.

I doubt that you can get a dumb 4k tv, but most of the tv's smartness could end up being a redundant security hole.

Look for tvs with better picture quality-- and just plan on using the appletv.

(spoken as someone who has a firestick, an apple tv, a bluray player with smartness, a dvd player for the odd out of region disk, a steamtv, and assorted other things hooked up to a networked reciever.)

Last edited:

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I installed one of these on the wall in my bedroom earlier this year.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-55-class-led-p-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6213223.p?skuId=6213223

I had already purchased the 65" version for my living room, and my parent's living room and was very happy with those so I bought the 55" for my bedroom. I probably could have got away with a little bit smaller, but Vizio didn't make that model in smaller sizes.

It looks like they are making a 50" M series this year.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-50-class-led-m-series-quantum-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6345462.p?skuId=6345462

As well as 40" and 43" V series. I haven't read any reviews on any of them yet, so I'm not sure how well they compare to other TVs available.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-40-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6333198.p?skuId=6333198
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-43-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6350185.p?skuId=6350185

sub150

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
The problem using Airplay2 within the TV is you have to have your TV connected to wifi which means you are being tracked.

I think a better solution is to have TV wifi off and connect to an Apple TV for streaming. Just my .02 if you care about stuff like that.