Nehalem Procs for Mac Pro when?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by YoYoMa, Jan 29, 2008.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Hey, don't attack me just yet. I plan to buy the current mac pro very soon. I'm just very curious as to when we are expecting the Nehalem chips in the future. Also, if anyone knows when it is expected to show in the MBPs as well, I wouldn't mind knowing that also.

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

from the buyers guide : Days Since Update 21 (Avg = 217)

still 196 days to go ...

4. bigbird macrumors 6502

Nobody here knows, Barack Obama doesn't know, George Bush for sure doesn't know. Maybe Intel knows. Ask them.

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

6. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the intel roadmap says that Nehalem would be released this year but that does not seem likely to me being Penryn was literally just released and is not even in the MBP yet. Usually intel goes at least a year between chip releases.

Basically I am asking to find out if the general consensus is that intels roadmap is probably not correct. Are most expecting that it will be at least 2009 before Nehalem shows in our Macs? I know no one knows. I'm asking for your expectations/predictions/opinions. I personally don't think that Nehalem will show this year, especially now that intel has pretty much completely destroyed the AMD threat.

7. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

8. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I'm thinking this year... or some form of Mac Pro update.

I mean, why else is there an "early 2008" model?

9. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Nehalem is still predicted to have a launch date sometime in the fourth quarter of this year.
    If Intel wants to adhere to their "Tick Tock" program then they should stick as close as possible to their roadmap.
    AMD is down for the count. Nehalem would be a good way stomp on AMD so hard that they can't get up.

If you are asking when the Nehalem Mac Pro will come out, then I would say about a year from now.
    But we are months away from Intel giving us a firm Nehalem launch date.

[​IMG]

10. G4DP macrumors 65816

If AMD had produced a better rival to Intel multi-core chips we might have been having a different discussion, however, they have screwed up royally.

Intel is no longer under pressure to push things out. THey have already delayed some of the new chips. Although Nehalem is due out come November this year, I think Apple will wait for the next Logic Board update from Intel - Caneland - before releasing another set of Mac Pros.

Can you imagine how much Apple will charge for a Mac Pro with 4x8 core's? Well i'll bet a hell of a lot. THere is no way they would do this when both technologies are brand new and untested. Whilst I am sure there are many members here who are looking forward to the next update as much as those of us with new ones were the Penryn Machines. However you guys need to think a little more ogically. Apple tock 18 month near enough to update the last set, so it's going to be at least 12 months before the next one. Hopefully i'll have a little money to get one with you though.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because it was released in early 2008? Sounds a bit better than January 2008 Mac Pro.

12. ksz macrumors 68000

Although Intel plans to begin sampling Nehalem parts in the 4th quarter, I think volume production will begin late in the year with actual machines appearing on the market in January 2009.

Apple's "Early 2008" designation for the current MacPro is just a convenient way to distinguish between various MacPro releases, nothing more. It implies nothing about another refresh this year.

However, I would like to see Cinema Displays get updated at least with improved panels if not a cosmetic redesign. Apple may defer a redesign of the ACD and MP to next year, if at all.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No pun intended but Intel is already stomping on AMD. They aren't even competing as far as I can tell.

But I would expect an Nehalem Mac Pro in early 2009, seeing as how fast we got the Penryn based Mac Pro.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exactly. Given Apple's relationship with Intel it would be safe to assume that they would get priority access to the new CPUs.

15. TripleCore macrumors regular

Not exactly true. How about the pressure from the company stockholders? The incentive is there to develop new chips to keep revenue streams flowing and stock prices moving up...just like Apple keeps creating new versions of OS X. In business, you can't just sit still.

16. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Without competition Intel can delay Nehalem very easily without causing problems for their investors. Penryn can easily be clocked up by intel with very little effort since it runs so cool, thus keeping consumers buying. After all, what else are they gonna get?

Also, when looking at the roadmap, Intels chips seem to have been getting released later in the year, each year. This seems like the perfect storm to cause the delay to 2009. Penryn is just out of the gate, has no competition, the chip is easily clocked higher, and Nehalem is a completely new architecture, which should cause more delays than any of the previous chips that have been released in the past few years. I highly doubt we will see Nehalem in any computers this year, and certainly not any Macs. I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong however.

17. rds macrumors regular

18. schreck macrumors regular

As we already begin to talk about something so far away, what is the true advantage of Nehalem? What will you get with it that you don't know?

I'm curious. It must be something big if someone's already concerned with its launch as we just received an update three weeks ago. Sarcasm.

19. c073186 macrumors 6502a

In the meantime, I recommend you have a piece of toast (preferably Pepperidge Farm 100% Natural Nine Grain Bread) with a generous slathering of peanut butter (crunchy, not creamy). It is delicious.

20. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

The chip is scheduled to be released in 8-11 months. I'm not talking about it because I think it's worth waiting for. I'm talking about it because I'm curious as to when most here were expecting it's release and why. Some others might need/want to know this stuff as well. I'm not sure why that evokes such sarcasm from you, but I think it's a pretty good topic.

21. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I do not disagree and I am not trying to "attack". I think everyone is just a little burnt out after the long wait for the recently updated Mac Pros.

22. frick macrumors member

Shouldn't the years really be shifted one step to the left as far as consumer availability is concerned?

23. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

I was referring to schreck's comments. I didn't think you were attacking, or being sarcastic. (perhaps a bit off topic though :))

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I assume you mean right? But I presume that the table is for manufacturing and I also assume that it was correct when it was made.

Plus the core architecture was available in 2006 so that part is correct using your goal posts.

25. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Thanks for linking to an article I have to pay to see.

Not really.