Neil Young pulls his music for poor sound quality

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Jul 17, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Neil Young announced on Facebook that he was pulling his music from all of the streaming services saying the audio quality sucks.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-pulling-catalog-from-streaming-services-20150715

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I think it's just his voice that sounds bad. Well at least I don't have to worry about skipping his songs.

3. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I applaud the man for standing up for his life's work. I agree that the audio on streams are not that great.

4. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

"My music is being removed from all streaming services. It's not good enough to sell or rent."

Neil baby, your music has no quality to worry about. It all pretty much sucks!

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh, well...A Southern man don't need him around anyhow.

j/k...i don't dislike Neil Young.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But is whether or not Neil Young's music 'sucks' the real issue here?

And, if it 'sucks' does it 'suck a lot worse' as a result of having been streamed?

In turn, that may serve to help bring us to the real issue here, which is the question of whether streaming has a negative affect on the audio quality of the music being streamed?

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

As long as people listen on phones or with ear buds the music will sound like crap. It is as much the speakers as it is the bit rate.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Amen to that post, sir. And - as someone who uses B&W headphones to listen to my music - I have to admit that the quality of headphone also has an impact on how the music sounds.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

"It's not good enough to sell or rent."

Probably a poor choice of words there, especially sell. Doesn't he have his Pono player? I think this is what this is all really about.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

He's also one of the few artists that owns his master recordings. He can pull stunts like this.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If you have ever seen Dave Grohl's movie "Sound City". Neil Young is very old school and despises digital recording. He believes that it is reel to reel or nothing.

12. Kariya, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I smell BS. Sounds like he just wants more money and is slightly bitter his Pono project didn't kick off.

Pulling the music from streaming does nothing but hurt your fans, because now they can't listen, unless they change how they consume music.

Not gonna happen.

People will simply move on to something else, and you'll be left behind.

13. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

I agree. Most complaints like this are financially driven.

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Thought I read Neil Diamond and nearly had a scare. Not a fan of Neil Young. Let him be the old fool he's capable of being.

15. maflynn, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Didn't he roll out an ultra high end iPod competitor a couple of years ago? I can't say that I'm surprised and he doesn't need the money so based solely on artistic principal I can see his point. I like Neil Young's music but not enough that this will upset me, there's plenty of other music available for me to enjoy :)

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You assume that his fans subscribe to a streaming service. Most of the people I listen to aren't on any of the major music services but I'm not moving on I just don't use the streaming service and go on like I always have it's really no big deal.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this. Hey, you can only get my music on a really nice player. Oh did I mention that is is my player! :)

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I remember reading an article where they blind tested a guy with the iTunes version of a song with one on the Pono.

The sad thing is that the guy in question actually owned a Pono, but he ended up blindly saying that the iTunes version sounded better.

19. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I was a fan of Neil Young back in the early 70's. That being said, I think he's full of #2 when he claims he can hear the difference between high bitrate mp3's verses his hi def audio format. He played in loud rock n roll bands most of his life and there's no way he doesn't have hearing loss like most of us older folks. I know from personal experience. My hearing took it's toll from exposure to loud music over the years. BTW, I'm 63, played in loud rock bands when I was younger, but not nearly as long as he did. So I say he's full of crap!

20. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Surprised by all the negativity here towards him.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I'm surprised my hearing is still good after all the years I've listened to blaring music. Like a cat, I hear everything.

22. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

All things considered, my hearing is still halfway decent for a guy my age. I can still hear up to about 15K. Beyond that I'm deaf.

23. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Grumpy old man. Not like I cared for his music anyway.

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I wonder if the limit of damage sans rupture is genetically limited. My late grandfather who passed away in the early 90s had tremendous hearing for his age. He was in his mid or late 80s when he passed.

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't particularly like to stream music, but I think a lot of these artists who are so against it have to understand that their future generations of listeners are going to be using it. And while there are a lot of young people who will never give a care in the world about their music, there will be those who do, and a lot of them will end up being the guys who guy CDs, vinyls, and digital formats, and invest into everything you've ever made.

And sound quality means nothing to them, to an extent it does, but that is not what initially connects one to a song that isn't an instrumental.