NeoOffice or OpenOffice ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by voxnj, Sep 12, 2008.

1. voxnj macrumors regular

I am fed-up with the Microsoft Suite for MAC. After using the Windows Suite for years, the MAC Suite is just unacceptable. (I'm surprised that people are still recommending it and buying it.)

So, I'd like some feedback on the two apparent options: NeoOffice and OpenOffice (Aqua Beta 3). I use Word, Excel and PowerPoint daily in my work. I am looking for a stable platform with the full features and feel of the Windows Suite.

I'd appreciate your comments and advice.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

use open office aqua

very nice and faster than neo as its not freakin java lol

3. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

So far, I used Neooffice, but now I'll download OpenOffice Auqa to see how it works. Thanks for sharing.

I think that OP asked about Neooffice and OpenOffice, not M$.

5. voxnj thread starter macrumors regular

Any specific features you like or bugs that you've encountered in each?

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Considering both are free, why not download both and test them yourself? NeoOffice loses its appeal after ten minutes of use. :(

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

??? Maybe I downloaded the wrong version but when I downloaded Open Office for mac the little x11 thing popped up (whatever it is when it emulates windows), the program ran REALLY slow and was misery to use.

I downloaded NeoOffice and love it since it was built for mac. I like Neo Office (but after seeing the open office recommendations Im starting to wonder if I got the wrong version...)

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

try this

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html

its the aqua version of open office

9. sclough macrumors regular

I've used NeoOffice and OpenOffice Aqua. Since the beta of Aqua, I really haven't used NeoOffice as I figured the Aqua port would eventually be the defacto build of Oo_Org for Mac. That being said, NeoOffice was very stable, reliable, and functional. Yes, it wasn't blazingly fast, but they did a lot of work to make it very usable and increase the speed over the years.

I have only encountered two bugs with Oo_Org. One, is on the latest beta for some reason when I do a spell check I don't get suggestions when using the US English dictionary. It knows the words are spelled incorrectly, but I don't get any suggestions. When I switch to a British dictionary I get suggestions. I'm not sure what is up with that.

The only other bug I've seen is that if I leave a document up for a long time (i.e. weeks) with unsaved changes, I've seen two different occasions where OO errored when saving changes. The only way to get it to work was to copy the text and past it into a new OO document and save that with a new file name. Keep in mind this only happens when documents are open for very long times. I'm not sure what is causing it, I'm guessing it's the way OO references file handles. It probably doesn't help that my MBP goes through tons of sleep and wake up cycles as I usually shut the lid when it's not being used for a few hours.

Overall, the aqua beta is very usable and stable. Keep in mind OO (whether in NeoOffice or the OO aqua form) has good crash recovery for documents just in case. Still, I haven't seen a crash in a very long time.

10. voxnj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the helpful perspective.

11. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I was hinting at the fact that MS Office 2008 is a mess, and that if they tried the earlier package they might have more luck. The other two options can easily be downloaded for free - so try them and see if they do what you want.

12. drstein13 macrumors newbie

13. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i would suggest openoffice. better lookin and much faster.
    also, why woouldnt u give a try to iWork?

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've been using Neooffice exclusively since I downloaded and tried OO and it crashed. I didn't try the Aqua version, though. I'll go give that a try when I get a chance. I find Neooffice to be slow but usable. I also use iWork. I would rank the office suites for Mac in this order...

1 - Neooffice/OpenOffice
    2 - iWork
    98 - Office 2004
    99 - Office 2008

15. tinfai macrumors member

relative speeds of the various suites?

Great recommendations. I've been using Office 2004 for the past couple of years, but just haven't felt comfortable with it. I spend all day with at the office with a windows version and I don't seem to adapt to '04 well. Moreover, it seemingly runs slow, even on my 2.0Ghz Macbook. I haven't heard many good things about '08 and so I haven't tried it. I'm downloading the 3.0 aqua release of OO as I type this and hope it will prove to be more speedy. How do the various 'office suites' compare to one another in terms of speed?

16. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I've had a little experience with open office and I would go with that.

17. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    MS Office for Mac takes way to long to open:mad:, so off I went looking for alternatives, played with Open Office, then went for Neo Office. I settled for the latter. I like the feel of Neo Office better, as does my wife who recently needed a "publisher" type program. She too likes the Neo Office better.Seems to be more compatible with our non Apple friends. I also realise , as "newbies" we are probably doing things wrong, as far as compatibility issues with our non Mac friends.

I look at it this way, I left MS for :apple: to free myself of MS. We both are seriously trying to use just :apple: programs, but are finding we need a Publisher type program as well as compatibility. iWork is good, when we need more compatibility with friends we use Neo Office:)

18. dimme macrumors 65816

19. sclough macrumors regular

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Another vote for Aqua. I do a lot of projects. I have Office 2007 on bootcamp (my favorite), Aqua and iWork on my OS X side. Overkill? Yep, but I do use all 3 and each has their good and bad points IMO. If I had to keep one I would keep Office 2007, then Aqua and iWork last. iWork is alright, but I don't like it as well as the other 2. Personal preference.

Aqua is the best free one out there IMO. Try it out and if you don't like it then delete it.

I absolutely hated Office for Mac. Again my opinion.

21. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

22. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I am using OOo 3.0 Aqua (RC-2)... very nice! I don't understand why anyone would pay money for MS Office.

23. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If you mean the virtual desktops visible at the upper-left of the menu bar, I believe that is VirtueDesktops. Its a native Aqua app. I used it with Tiger and found it to be a very nice app, highly configurable and there are some nifty visual effects. I would still use it on Tiger to this day; however, I prefer Spaces in Leopard, which Apple as typical made highly usable and functional. I think Spaces is a feature in which Apple hit the nail on the head the first try.

Btw, it is Aqua native, but I do recall that it was packaged with some other Aqua utilities that installed with some Fink package, the latter of which of course is mainly for opensource stuff that compiles and runs with X11 on OS X. Nowadays I use Macports haven't noticed those goodies.

24. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I don't feel like writing a big thing so I'll just dot point.

• NeoOffice 2.2.5 is much faster on my Core Duo MBP than the RC2 of OpenOffice.org
    • OpenOffice.org does use Java
    • OpenOffice.org uses pinstripes
    • They both might use Java but they're aren't written in Java entirely
    • They require a computer with a sufficient amount of RAM

25. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

NeoOffice sounds cool, but their logo looks goofy.