Nervous about commuting with MacBook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockyroad55, Sep 9, 2012.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I just bought a retina and I'm nervous about commuting with it. It'll be in my bag but I'm just worried I'll get robbed or something. I'm probably still in my honeymoon phase with it though.

I take the subway to work and school. The mornings aren't bad but I get off work the same time many rowdy HS students do. I really hated HS haha.

Anyone else like this during a new purchase? I even still exercise caution with my iPhone by not always pulling it out when commuting. Safe or paranoid?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I think everyone is a little paranoid in the beginning, but you begin to realize that your safely secured macbook in your bag is safe. If you dont already have a case for it or a bag with a specific laptop slot, buy one. Will definitely help you get over the paranoia

Then again, anything can happen.

3. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

These days, your odds of getting robbed are the same whether you have your laptop with you or not. Don't worry about it, just go about your business.

4. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

This depends on where you live TBH. In a city you're a lot more likely to get robbed than in a more rural area, for example.

It's always a good idea to keep backups and insure your laptop regardless, though. You should also turn FileVault on so your data's safe if your laptop falls into the wrong hands.

5. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think it's because I'm still in my honeymoon period with such an expensive item. I'll remain vigilant and I usually mind my own business, not looking suspicious or weird.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it were me, I'd worry more about being robbed (i.e. not going places where I don't feel safe) than what I'd lose if I got robbed (i.e. whether I'm carrying my laptop with me).

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Just be vigilant and don't take it to the wrong part of town. Make sure you don't have it on your back at busy commute times. They will open it up and remove it from your backpack and you won't even know.
    Also if you are traveling late at night might be an idea to leave it at home.

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

A potential thief or mugger does not know what people have in all the rucksacks and bags they see on the train or in the street. They could grab something from someone only to have it have nothing of value in there and still get arrested.

I'd take comfort in that. Not to say it won't happen, but I think if you remain aware and take some of the precautions already suggested here I think you'll be fine.

9. TSE macrumors 68030

A MacBook Pro is a tool.

If you can't use your tool the way you want it to, you need a new tool.

10. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I was riding the subway last week and notice several people working on their Mac Books, Ipads. Way to trusting I thought. Someone could easily snap up the ipad and run out the door.

11. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah I literally just moved into the city and it's a different experience here. A lot busier but I also noticed people in the middle of the park with MacBooks and iPads. I guess this area was a lot nicer than I expected.

As always, thanks for the advice.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

Remember, millions of people, and I'm sure tens of thousands even in the Philly area, commute with laptops every day on every form of transportation. You won't be singled out as "the guy with the laptop".

I've been traveling and/or commuting with my laptop almost constantly since 1997. I have never once felt threatened by it.

There is no reason to be scared.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just don't do stuff that'll attract attention to yourself.
    Don't wear expensive jewelry or use laptop in public, for example.