Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Because these apps trivialise copyright infringement and intellectual property theft.
An emulator cannot do that unless it's bundled with the emulator somehow. What you're aiming for would be something like websites that host ROMs. Even a ROM on its own isn't necessarily illegal if you dump your own copy that you bought yourself (more of a grey area), it's the distribution that's illegal.

goji99

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
Because these apps trivialise copyright infringement and intellectual property theft.
You do realize that ROMs are perfectly capable of being legally obtained, right? All you need to do is rip your own copies from the physical media itself. 100% legal. Even then, some of these games are 40+ years old and no longer in print in any form - I read an article once that pointed out that more games have been lost to time than silent movies. Preservation is extremely, extremely important.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I have a feeling modern iOS devices will be able to emulate up to the PS2/Dreamcast era fairly easily. I have a $120 handheld game player from china that can play PS2 games. Surely if that can, then any iPhone released in the last 7-8 years probably can as well.
PS2? PS4 or Switch on an iPhone 15, no problem.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I downloaded it before it was removed. My issue with these touchscreen emulators is that you have to press the buttons one at a time. I tried playing Super Mario Bros, and you can't hold down sprint and jump at the same time.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
At this point, the only individuals that can legally have emulators are the companies themselves. We've seen how Nintendo can go full John Wick.

Any emulator on the App Store that is not from Nintendo, Sega or Atari themselves will 100% have the largest lawsuits against them.

Vastolorde97

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Puerto Rico
At this point, the only individuals that can legally have emulators are the companies themselves. We've seen how Nintendo can go full John Wick.

Any emulator on the App that is not from Nintendo, Sega, Atari themselves will 100% most likely have the largest lawsuits against them.
If that where the case most emulators on the playstore would have been delisted years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.