Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Pulled by me, just out of fear. No one pressured me to, but I got more nervous about it as the day went on. Very sorry to get everyone’s hopes up, but hopefully hopefully there will be other more brave devs than me in the future
I’m genuinely curious - why did you release this?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I'd happily pay for a legit emulator and games for same. But NFW am I buying e.g. a Nintendo console at this point. I get the business model, but they're leaving easily had incremental revenue on the table.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Because these apps trivialise copyright infringement and intellectual property theft.
You’re not entirely wrong but then again so do computers in general.

And the contempt for users shown by the copyright holders is not encouraging. A user experience actually meant to be pleasant for the user remains a primary reason for piracy.

For example, the Peacock app recently removed the “keep watching” row entirely. Just one example of many. More specific to Nintendo, they are happy to keep reselling the same exact games over and over again, using hardware obsolescence to force it.

This emulator doesn’t provide ROMs. I wouldn’t say they are trivializing piracy.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
There's nothing functionally wrong with iGBA, and it continues to work for those who installed it before it was removed from the App Store. It just has a lot of ads, and requests to track you for personalized ads. I can understand not wanting to support a ripoff though.

And you actually end up with neither if you paid attention to the pop up in the beginning and manually disabled all the tracking options

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
At this point, the only individuals that can legally have emulators are the companies themselves. We've seen how Nintendo can go full John Wick.

Any emulator on the App Store that is not from Nintendo, Sega or Atari themselves will 100% have the largest lawsuits against them.
You don't understand, Nintendo went after Yuzu due to Yuzu sharing Nintendo's encryption key process, and were advocating and sharing the pirated copies of games pre-release. Nintendo emulators are fine, and have been fine for a long time - they've been on Android without issue for over a decade now, too.

Nintendo only went after Yuzu for their shady practices and monetization reasons.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I was taking a break on my bed just scrolling through MacRumors as usual and when I saw this I was like, Oh goody, let's try this. I jumped up from the bed and loaded this article on my desktop

mgid_arc_imageassetref_shared.southpark.us.jpeg

Last edited:

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
This goes back to my original comment where the MacRumors article starts with, "Apple today said...". I often wonder what are these official channels Apple is "communicating" through.

Can't run with what everyone tells you.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
You think Italian brothers, Mario and Luigi, paid him a visit?🤔 "That's a nice pet turtle you have there.😰 It would be a shame if someone stomped on it repeatedly."😧 1UP. 1UP. 1UP...😶
The Italian mafia brothers held him ransom. o_O

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I will pay a subscription for a PS2 emulator. Upwards of $25-50 a year for a true PS2 emulator that works across iOS and tvOS and macOS (visionOS is lower priority). I want to pair some controllers to my Apple TV and play co-op PS2 games like I did long ago. I am still enjoying the iGBA app.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Pulled by me, just out of fear. No one pressured me to, but I got more nervous about it as the day went on. Very sorry to get everyone’s hopes up, but hopefully hopefully there will be other more brave devs than me in the future
I'd consult a legal service and enquire about your rights for an emulator. You didn't violate any App Store policy, and clearly from emulators being on Android and desktop so long with no issues (as long as they play by the rules.... no apps or instructions on how to get apps, etc.) You may be able to safely release your app, get credit for all your hard work. Not to mention be a hero for a lot of folks here wishing for something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.