Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
I have no skin in the game and don’t care either way, but with Japan recently trying to enact laws similar to the EU and bring fines towards Apple, I wonder how quickly Nintendo’s influence reaches Japanese government officials and tells them not to push for an open app market. 🤔

I mean, if it’s legal I would rather play the latest Switch games on my iPad with a controller. Some will do this illegally though.

Reactions: Timpetus

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Officially pulled, but App Store page will still load with an "OPEN" blue button for those that have downloaded it. Hope this gets clarified officially one way or another...

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Pulled by me, just out of fear. No one pressured me to, but I got more nervous about it as the day went on. Very sorry to get everyone’s hopes up, but hopefully hopefully there will be other more brave devs than me in the future
Quoted so more people see this.

The dev pulled it himself - not Apple.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
Be careful what you wish for. PlayStation, XBOX and Switch ROMs aren’t illegal on their own, and with an open App market Apple can’t enforce what people load on Apple’s two most used devices in the history of electronics; iPhones and iPads.
Game companies have to be loving Epic right about now. 😁

Reactions: Vastolorde97

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
mgid:arc:imageassetref:shared.southpark.us.en:b1ede551-1aba-419e-9812-06fc24fb6fd7

Reactions: icanhazmac

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Because these apps trivialise copyright infringement and intellectual property theft.
The emulator itself does not, you know that - right? The process in which how a user provides the ROM is where things get into that area.
He pulled it, understandably. Nintendo are probably the most litigious company in this market so it was brave even releasing it.
Nintendo got Yuzu due to how they were cracking, sharing, and detailing Nintendo's key encryption process, and sharing their newest games (such as Tears of the Kingdom) pre-release.

Nintendo is not going after other emulators. Additionally, Nintendo emulators have been on Android for quite some time, and have done just fine.

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
If the app isn't actually supplying anything copyrighted (ROMs, BIOS files, keys, etc.) or using copyrighted code, then Nintendo has nothing to stand on. If Nintendo is worried about piracy, then they need to make it easier to buy their old copyrighted games.
I agree, but Nintendo has some of the most aggressive IP enforcement on the planet. They are scary.

Bananapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Pulled by me, just out of fear. No one pressured me to, but I got more nervous about it as the day went on. Very sorry to get everyone’s hopes up, but hopefully hopefully there will be other more brave devs than me in the future
Can you enable it just for one more day? I just saw it now please I want the emulator :(

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I somehow downloaded after he said he pulled it lol. I don’t get why this makes anyone nervous… apple approved it… do you know how hard it was for me to even get a sticker pack approved by apple lol. Emulators are legal and on every platform… why its a big deal just cus this is iPhone i have no idea.

Bananapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
I somehow downloaded after he said he pulled it lol. I don’t get why this makes anyone nervous… apple approved it… do you know how hard it was for me to even get a sticker pack approved by apple lol. Emulators are legal and on every platform… why its a big deal just cus this is iPhone i have no idea.
yeah no big deal anymore, Android has emulators for YEARS. I mean since the existence of android lol official on google play store

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
If only Nintendo was this proactive in lowering the prices on their first party releases!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.