Nest Debuts New Colors for Smart Thermostat, Launches Nest Cam Outdoor in U.S.

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 8, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Smart thermostat company Nest today announced three new colors for its flagship product, the Nest Learning Thermostat, now coming in white, black, and copper, in addition to the traditional stainless steel variant. The new colors are said to be available for a limited time only, but Nest didn't specify for how long they'd continue to go on sale. The purpose of introducing more colors and finishes was to help Nest "fit into every home."

[​IMG]

Additionally, Nest revealed that the Nest Cam Outdoor is now available for $199 for customers to purchase in the United States, with an expected launch date sometime in October for those in Europe. The company is bolstering all of its camera products -- Nest Outdoor Cam, Nest Indoor Cam, and the company-owned Dropcam -- with a new software feature called "Sightline," coming to the Nest app.
    With Sightline, Nest users will be able to quickly scrub through large amounts of footage in seconds, and the app is even able to decipher and showcase "key moments" in a recording so users don't have to waste time digging through footage. The app also allows for free 3 hour video history for anyone, even those not on a Nest Aware subscription, and hassle-free "time travel" controls so you can jump to a recorded moment in the past with ease.

[​IMG]

Those interested can purchase the new colors of the Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Outdoor Cam, and update the Nest app [Direct Link] starting today.

Article Link: Nest Debuts New Colors for Smart Thermostat, Launches Nest Cam Outdoor in U.S.

2. ee13lbp macrumors member

So many product releases the past few days, LG V20, iPhone 7, PS4 Pro & Slim, and now this..

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Nice to see some different colors available, though, how is the company doing these days with all the hubbub and shakeups at the top over the last couple of years? I stayed away from buying one because of the uncertain future of the company and potential support going forward.

4. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Nest wants this product to “fit into every home,” yet is offering the various colors “for a limited time only?” It seems the freshman marketing team is running the company.

5. ASFx macrumors regular

Lol, look at that outdoor nestcam. That's hilarious that they made the cable just hang out of the front of the camera, as if they were trying to make it look as ugly and insecure as possible. How many of these are going to be torn off of walls and snipped before Nest changes their design?

6. adamjackson macrumors 68000

Can someone clue me in on HomeKit compatibility w/ Nest?

I hate that Google owns this company and will likely keep me from buying one.

7. 2457282 Suspended

Question - I just moved into a new home. It has a boiler and radiators for heat and a forced air unit for cool. So I have two separate thormostats as these systems are separate, so my question is this - how would I set up any smart thermostat to work? Would I still need two? Not sure in any case if I would go with nest as I would like a HomeKit enabled product. Thanks for any thoughtful response.

8. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

They're not doing great. Sales have slowed a lot.

As you said, may be wise to stay away for a bit. If they shut down or stop supporting any product, it's now worthless. No controlling your thermostat without their servers up and running.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    It's not HomeKit compatible and very likely never will be.

9. adamjackson, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

adamjackson macrumors 68000

This may help:

https://nest.com/support/article/Ho...le-Nest-Learning-Thermostats-in-the-same-home

I think generally, you'll have one thermostat on each level or zone if it's a HUGE house. If you're not super DIY, I'd have an electrician help you configure it all. Mention it's a nest thermostat because some old school guys won't touch this "new finagled techno-crap" LOL
    Makes me wish Apple made HomeKit a server-side technology that anyone could run. Buy an Xserve and put it in my rack and my devices talk to it locally and I keep the VPN active on my iOS device or there's some handshake with iCloud between my iOS device and the Xserve in my rack so I can control my devices. The fact that my doors don't unlock and my garage door dies just because the company that makes it goes under is a bit insane.

I'm fully remodeling a house in September that I plan on living in for a long time. We're gutting everything. Walls, floors, ceilings, appliances, full new kitchen. Plan is to buy everything HomeKit that I can but the fact that these devices will eventually become obsolete is a bit scary.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Negative.

They were removed from Apple Stores because they have stopped supporting Apple's ongoing API and technologies.

I'm not sure why it's even being advertised as news on this site. Nest is more Android centric now since the Google buyout.

11. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Agreed. Without HomeKit, nest isn't even a consideration for iOS users so I'm not sure why MR keeps reporting on their products.

12. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

No piano black, no rose gold. Someone didn't get the memo.

13. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

Had to have a look after seeing your comment. That is awful!!
    They got the memo about the headphone socket though. :D

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My Nest works great with my iPhone, and iPad, and Apple Watch. And Mac for that matter.

15. shiseiryu1 macrumors 6502a

I like my original Nest; if it had HomeKit support I might be tempted to upgrade but otherwise I'll just wait for something better to come out eventually.

16. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

That thing looks suicidal. Damn.

17. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

Owning an original NEST, I am glad to see the latest and greatest news about the company and product. I wish it was homekit compatible but the app works great for what I need. At some point, I may swap it out for now it works great.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Basically they are shuffling the chairs on the deck of the titanic.

19. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

same boat here

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Look at Ecobee. I'm still rocking original Nest. But I've seen many go toward EcoBee for better Apple/HomeKit/Siri support and integration.

21. hagar macrumors 6502a

They had a couple of slow years but seem to be picking up the pace now

I have both the Nest thermostat and protect and like them a lot. But if the aren't releasing HomeKit compatible hardware soon, they will become obsolete for apple customers.

22. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

I still don't get why people choose the Nest over the Ecobee. Every HVAC person I spoke to about this issue they all tell me that Nest causes so many problems that's not worth installing. All of them believe the Ecobee is far superior then the Nest. It has far less issues then the Nest and is much more reliable then the Nest.

23. WilliamG macrumors G3

Funny. I have three Nests in my house. One for each floor of my house (hydronic heating). I can't speak for other people, but I tend to set my temperature and not think about it. I've never once wished I'd had HomeKit for my Nests, though I couldn't live without HomeKit for my locks (August), and for my lights (Lutron Caseta). I use the Nest App for my thermostats in the VERY rare occasion I need to do anything (which HomeKit wouldn't even be useful for - like checking histories etc).

I wish I had HomeKit for my LiftMaster Q garage door (have to use the app for that), and for my SimpliSafe alarm system, but never for Nest. I'd take it if it existed, but could not care less that Nest doesn't do HomeKit for the thermostats.
    Never had an issue with my latest-gen Nest T-stats, and I have three of them. I also have 8 latest-gen Nest Protects in my house, too. They all just work.

24. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Have you considered Ecobee? I've been doing a little research into smart thermostats and I've read good reviews about them. I like the fact that you get an additional sensor for other let's of the room/house for a more accurate
    That's good for you and I'm sure there are many happy nest users. But for any Apple user considering a smart thermostat today, or any smart device for that matter, they'd be foolish to buy something that isn't HomeKit compatible.

And who knows? If you had an Ecobee, perhaps you'd be changing the temperature throughout your house a lot more because of how much easier it is to do via Siri. I know I change/control my lights a lot more after I upgraded my Philips Hue bridge to one that's HK compatible.

25. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Please don't speak for all iOS users. I'm an iOS user and I use a Nest Thermostat and smoke detectors.

About HomeKit, well, Siri annoys the hell out of me... It understands what it wants for the most part. So not even a consideration... yet... We'll see how Alexa and Google pan out and then decide if I change it (or not) in a few years.