Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smart thermostat company Nest today announced three new colors for its flagship product, the Nest Learning Thermostat, now coming in white, black, and copper, in addition to the traditional stainless steel variant. The new colors are said to be available for a limited time only, but Nest didn't specify for how long they'd continue to go on sale. The purpose of introducing more colors and finishes was to help Nest "fit into every home."

thermo_hero_2x-bd4f017cda-800x486.jpg

Additionally, Nest revealed that the Nest Cam Outdoor is now available for $199 for customers to purchase in the United States, with an expected launch date sometime in October for those in Europe. The company is bolstering all of its camera products -- Nest Outdoor Cam, Nest Indoor Cam, and the company-owned Dropcam -- with a new software feature called "Sightline," coming to the Nest app.
Sightline is a new app feature that shows you what Nest Cam has seen and lets you speed through days of recorded video in seconds. It pulls out key moments automatically so you don't waste time digging through footage. Looking for the moment someone opened the gate two days ago? No problem.

Person alerts are also changing the game. If you have Nest Aware, Nest Cam can now tell if the activity it's seeing is a tree swaying or someone coming in your house. So if it sees a person, you get a special alert. Nest Cam can even tell you if it's sure it's a person, or just suspects it is.
With Sightline, Nest users will be able to quickly scrub through large amounts of footage in seconds, and the app is even able to decipher and showcase "key moments" in a recording so users don't have to waste time digging through footage. The app also allows for free 3 hour video history for anyone, even those not on a Nest Aware subscription, and hassle-free "time travel" controls so you can jump to a recorded moment in the past with ease.

sightline_hero_2x-8a37f869c2-800x549.jpg

Those interested can purchase the new colors of the Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Outdoor Cam, and update the Nest app [Direct Link] starting today.

Article Link: Nest Debuts New Colors for Smart Thermostat, Launches Nest Cam Outdoor in U.S.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
So many product releases the past few days, LG V20, iPhone 7, PS4 Pro & Slim, and now this..

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Nice to see some different colors available, though, how is the company doing these days with all the hubbub and shakeups at the top over the last couple of years? I stayed away from buying one because of the uncertain future of the company and potential support going forward.

Reactions: Koodauw and Dekema2

ASFx

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Lol, look at that outdoor nestcam. That's hilarious that they made the cable just hang out of the front of the camera, as if they were trying to make it look as ugly and insecure as possible. How many of these are going to be torn off of walls and snipped before Nest changes their design?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Question - I just moved into a new home. It has a boiler and radiators for heat and a forced air unit for cool. So I have two separate thormostats as these systems are separate, so my question is this - how would I set up any smart thermostat to work? Would I still need two? Not sure in any case if I would go with nest as I would like a HomeKit enabled product. Thanks for any thoughtful response.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Nice to see some different colors available, though, how is the company doing these days with all the hubbub and shakeups at the top over the last couple of years? I stayed away from buying one because of the uncertain future of the company and potential support going forward.

They're not doing great. Sales have slowed a lot.

As you said, may be wise to stay away for a bit. If they shut down or stop supporting any product, it's now worthless. No controlling your thermostat without their servers up and running.
[doublepost=1473339713][/doublepost]
Can someone clue me in on HomeKit compatibility w/ Nest?

I hate that Google owns this company and will likely keep me from buying one.

It's not HomeKit compatible and very likely never will be.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Question - I just moved into a new home. It has a boiler and radiators for heat and a forced air unit for cool. So I have two separate thormostats as these systems are separate, so my question is this - how would I set up any smart thermostat to work? Would I still need two? Not sure in any case if I would go with nest as I would like a HomeKit enabled product. Thanks for any thoughtful response.

This may help:

https://nest.com/support/article/Ho...le-Nest-Learning-Thermostats-in-the-same-home

I think generally, you'll have one thermostat on each level or zone if it's a HUGE house. If you're not super DIY, I'd have an electrician help you configure it all. Mention it's a nest thermostat because some old school guys won't touch this "new finagled techno-crap" LOL
[doublepost=1473339929][/doublepost]
No controlling your thermostat without their servers up and running.

Makes me wish Apple made HomeKit a server-side technology that anyone could run. Buy an Xserve and put it in my rack and my devices talk to it locally and I keep the VPN active on my iOS device or there's some handshake with iCloud between my iOS device and the Xserve in my rack so I can control my devices. The fact that my doors don't unlock and my garage door dies just because the company that makes it goes under is a bit insane.

I'm fully remodeling a house in September that I plan on living in for a long time. We're gutting everything. Walls, floors, ceilings, appliances, full new kitchen. Plan is to buy everything HomeKit that I can but the fact that these devices will eventually become obsolete is a bit scary.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Can someone clue me in on HomeKit compatibility w/ Nest?

I hate that Google owns this company and will likely keep me from buying one.
Negative.

They were removed from Apple Stores because they have stopped supporting Apple's ongoing API and technologies.

I'm not sure why it's even being advertised as news on this site. Nest is more Android centric now since the Google buyout.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Lol, look at that outdoor nestcam. That's hilarious that they made the cable just hang out of the front of the camera, as if they were trying to make it look as ugly and insecure as possible. How many of these are going to be torn off of walls and snipped before Nest changes their design?
Had to have a look after seeing your comment. That is awful!!
[doublepost=1473341079][/doublepost]
No piano black, no rose gold. Someone didn't get the memo.
They got the memo about the headphone socket though. :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Negative.

They were removed from Apple Stores because they have stopped supporting Apple's ongoing API and technologies.

I'm not sure why it's even being advertised as news on this site. Nest is more Android centric now since the Google buyout.

My Nest works great with my iPhone, and iPad, and Apple Watch. And Mac for that matter.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I like my original Nest; if it had HomeKit support I might be tempted to upgrade but otherwise I'll just wait for something better to come out eventually.

Reactions: mdelvecchio

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

That thing looks suicidal. Damn.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Owning an original NEST, I am glad to see the latest and greatest news about the company and product. I wish it was homekit compatible but the app works great for what I need. At some point, I may swap it out for now it works great.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
They had a couple of slow years but seem to be picking up the pace now

I have both the Nest thermostat and protect and like them a lot. But if the aren't releasing HomeKit compatible hardware soon, they will become obsolete for apple customers.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I still don't get why people choose the Nest over the Ecobee. Every HVAC person I spoke to about this issue they all tell me that Nest causes so many problems that's not worth installing. All of them believe the Ecobee is far superior then the Nest. It has far less issues then the Nest and is much more reliable then the Nest.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Agreed. Without HomeKit, nest isn't even a consideration for iOS users so I'm not sure why MR keeps reporting on their products.

Funny. I have three Nests in my house. One for each floor of my house (hydronic heating). I can't speak for other people, but I tend to set my temperature and not think about it. I've never once wished I'd had HomeKit for my Nests, though I couldn't live without HomeKit for my locks (August), and for my lights (Lutron Caseta). I use the Nest App for my thermostats in the VERY rare occasion I need to do anything (which HomeKit wouldn't even be useful for - like checking histories etc).

I wish I had HomeKit for my LiftMaster Q garage door (have to use the app for that), and for my SimpliSafe alarm system, but never for Nest. I'd take it if it existed, but could not care less that Nest doesn't do HomeKit for the thermostats.
[doublepost=1473358240][/doublepost]
I still don't get why people choose the Nest over the Ecobee. Every HVAC person I spoke to about this issue they all tell me that Nest causes so many problems that's not worth installing. All of them believe the Ecobee is far superior then the Nest. It has far less issues then the Nest and is much more reliable then the Nest.

Never had an issue with my latest-gen Nest T-stats, and I have three of them. I also have 8 latest-gen Nest Protects in my house, too. They all just work.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I like my original Nest; if it had HomeKit support I might be tempted to upgrade but otherwise I'll just wait for something better to come out eventually.

Have you considered Ecobee? I've been doing a little research into smart thermostats and I've read good reviews about them. I like the fact that you get an additional sensor for other let's of the room/house for a more accurate
Funny. I have three Nests in my house. One for each floor of my house (hydronic heating). I can't speak for other people, but I tend to set my temperature and not think about it. I've never once wished I'd had HomeKit for my Nests, though I couldn't live without HomeKit for my locks (August), and for my lights (Lutron Caseta). I use the Nest App for my thermostats in the VERY rare occasion I need to do anything (which HomeKit wouldn't even be useful for - like checking histories etc).

I wish I had HomeKit for my LiftMaster Q garage door (have to use the app for that), and for my SimpliSafe alarm system, but never for Nest. I'd take it if it existed, but could not care less that Nest doesn't do HomeKit for the thermostats.
[doublepost=1473358240][/doublepost]

Never had an issue with my latest-gen Nest T-stats, and I have three of them. I also have 8 latest-gen Nest Protects in my house, too. They all just work.

That's good for you and I'm sure there are many happy nest users. But for any Apple user considering a smart thermostat today, or any smart device for that matter, they'd be foolish to buy something that isn't HomeKit compatible.

And who knows? If you had an Ecobee, perhaps you'd be changing the temperature throughout your house a lot more because of how much easier it is to do via Siri. I know I change/control my lights a lot more after I upgraded my Philips Hue bridge to one that's HK compatible.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Agreed. Without HomeKit, nest isn't even a consideration for iOS users so I'm not sure why MR keeps reporting on their products.

Please don't speak for all iOS users. I'm an iOS user and I use a Nest Thermostat and smoke detectors.

About HomeKit, well, Siri annoys the hell out of me... It understands what it wants for the most part. So not even a consideration... yet... We'll see how Alexa and Google pan out and then decide if I change it (or not) in a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.