Net Neutrality Repeal Made Official With Entry Into Federal Register

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It's been two months since the Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 in favor of repealing Net Neutrality rules that were put in place by the United States government in 2015. That decision has been made official today by being entered into the Federal Register, and will become law starting April 23, 2018.

Following the vote, lawsuits began to appear in efforts to block the rollback of Net Neutrality, with one multi-state lawsuit being led by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and 22 other Attorneys General. As pointed out by TechCrunch, now that the Restoring Internet Freedom order "legally exists," every opponent in the U.S., "from citizens to attorney generals to governors and senators," will be able to begin their own lawsuits over the decision.

[​IMG]

The decision was heavily debated leading up to the vote in December, with proponents arguing the internet will now go back to a "light-touch regulatory scheme" it faced prior to 2015 and the advent of Net Neutrality. Opponents of the repeal vocalized fear that internet service providers will now be able to slow down internet speeds -- or block access completely -- to certain websites they see as competitors, among other concerns.

Specifically, the FCC's vote reclassifies ISPs as "information service" providers -- as they were between February 1996 and February 2015 -- instead of classifying them as "common carriers" under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. According to the Federal Register document published today, the decision to do this was made to restore broadband internet services as a "lightly-regulated" market. This means that one of the only major stipulations placed on ISPs like AT&T and Comcast is that if they do throttle a user's internet for any reason, they must disclose it. For its part, AT&T has said it is "committed to an open internet."

A report by Recode in January examined how major technology companies responded to the Net Neutrality debate, with Apple, Amazon, Facebook, and Google spending about $50 million in 2017 lobbying the government on the issue. Apple alone was said to have spent $7 million on lobbying last year with a focus on encryption and immigration as well as Net Neutrality, growing from $4.5 million in 2016.

Apple's push against the repeal of Net Neutrality included a letter from August 2017 urging the FCC not to roll back the rules. Apple's letter discussed internet "fast lanes" and "slow lanes," where paid fast lanes could result in an "internet with distorted competition." Apple ultimately said this ruling could "fundamentally alter the internet as we know it," and if it passed it would be put in place to the detriment of consumers, competition, and innovation.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Net Neutrality Repeal Made Official With Entry Into Federal Register

2. magicschoolbus, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

I wonder what internet package bundle I will have to buy to visit MacRumors.

What a ****ing joke

If I have to pay more to visit certain websites and use my PS4, I'll just cut cable completely. It's all trash on there anyway.

3. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Absolutely shameful decision to roll back net neutrality. Can’t wait to see how the lawsuits progress.

4. Xavier macrumors 68030

Yes the internet is still free and open. You just have to pay more for it. And the company controlling the freedom gets to decide if they feel you aren't paying enough whenever they like.

Seems great.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

6. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Good. Net neutrality was unfair for businesses and didn't make sense for the consumer long term. It was anti-capitalism and would ultimately prevent businesses' growth and negatively affect the future of the internet.

7. AZ63 macrumors 6502

AZ63

Yes, I was so happy that I didn't have to pay that extra fee any more after the passage of net neutrality in 2015. :rolleyes:

8. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

There's only one way to properly convey how I feel about this:
    Sorry.gif
    That 3D animation took forever!

9. AZ63 macrumors 6502

AZ63

Groups are going to file lawsuits because the government doesn't have laws?
    Apple has a few billion in the bank. Perhaps they could become an ISP and show the world how it is supposed to be done.

10. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Apple is just another business. They will do whatever that benefits them.

Also, why are you dragging Apple into this? They never said they were interested in ISP market.

11. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Its too bad people don't take the time to realize and read what this was really about. The title Net Neutrality was totally misleading if not an outright lie. What the law meant was that the government could make any rules it wanted at any time without the involvement of Congress. Of course they did not make any controversial laws right now, because they did not want to upset the Apple cart (he he). But once they have established the authority, then slowly but surely they can implement censorship or whatever other private agenda the government wanted.

That original law was good for Tech companies because they spend so much money on political issues that they could determine what was done and when. Without this law, Tech companies have to compete against each other by disclosing and reacting to their users. This is a lot harder to do and to control. But it is the best for consumers.

12. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

13. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

What's happening?

Seriously, what is happening? What's changed since the reversal of Title II reclassification? What changed after Title II reclassification in 2015? I've heard all the hypotheticals. I want actuals. What's happening, and what has happened?

14. swm macrumors regular

land of the free*, home of the brave.

*with appropriate subscription

15. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

This is a very classical use of slippery slope fallacy. Using the same mindset one could also say that ISPs will start charging people $50 each month to access any video website, and $50 to access any news website, and so on...

If we want anarchy we wouldn't have formed a government. It needs to strike a balance between over-regulating and under-regulating. Simply saying market/society will correct itself is proven wrong so many times with depression, financial crisis, mass shooting, heavily polluted cities, etc.

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree. People complain when they don't get everything for free.

17. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I must be a sucker, where is this free internet service you are talking about?

18. Trik macrumors regular

Man the United States slant for this conversation is ridiculous. The Internet is global, it is bigger than the United States. "anti-capitalism" ... Yes, the Internet wasn't created to make money for corporations. The entire world doesn't subscribe to capitalism. If greed wasn't an issue in late stage capitalism, we wouldn't have Enron, banks "too big to fail", the entire Union movement, etc.

19. ThatGuyInLa macrumors regular

ThatGuyInLa

From 1996 to 2015 I’ve seen nothing but positive growth for the internet and its users. Post 2015 I saw no marked change other than phone companies getting greedy with data.

Those are the only real world FACTS about any of this.

20. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

Incidentally, that's exactly the claim that NN proponents make, including right here in this thread.

21. eicca macrumors 6502

eicca

Here’s a fun fact: go research the prices of any services at any given point in history. Without singular exception, once government stepped in, prices went up. Every time.

22. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

A conversation about FCC policy taking a United States slant? Preposterous!

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

#45 only cares for fellow billionaires (even though he is not one)

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Unfortunately you appear to be the one who doesn’t know what it is. With Net Neutrality internet regulation rested in the government which was accountable to voters. Now that it has been repealed regulation is the responsibility of unelected unaccountable businesses. If you are lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of ISPS to choose from you likely will not see much of an impact. If you only have the choice of one or two you will end up paying much higher prices for the same thing or probably about the same for much less.

25. Trik macrumors regular

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/23/16693840/net-neutrality-us-fcc-global-effect

I believe the Internet is now a necessity. People NEED the internet to be able to function in society at this point. Power companies, Water, Sewer ... They are all regulated and the vast majority of the nation has cheap, clean drinking water for example.