Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keltorsori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Installed a Netatmo doorbell today and cannot even get the option to record video via HomeKit.

Setup:
Netatmo doorbell, firmware 2.18
Hub AppleTV 4K, tvOS 15
HomePod minis, all running 15.0
iCloud Plus 2TB plan

I have 3 existing HKSV cameras, all fine, but no matter which order I setup the doorbell, I don’t even have the option. Have removed/reset and tried 1. Setting up in Netatmo Home + Security app and then adding to HomeKit. 2. Setting up exclusively via HomeKit (after removing the Natatmo app) 3. Setting up in HomeKit and then checking settings in reinstalled Netatmo app.

No change. Screenshots of doorbell in HomeKit attached. Doorbell works, notifications work, no recording options in HomeKit.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 8.56.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 8.56.56 PM.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 436
  • Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 9.24.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 9.24.59 PM.png
    179 KB · Views: 261

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Installed a Netatmo doorbell today and cannot even get the option to record video via HomeKit.

Setup:
Netatmo doorbell, firmware 2.18
Hub AppleTV 4K, tvOS 15
HomePod minis, all running 15.0
iCloud Plus 2TB plan

I have 3 existing HKSV cameras, all fine, but no matter which order I setup the doorbell, I don’t even have the option. Have removed/reset and tried 1. Setting up in Netatmo Home + Security app and then adding to HomeKit. 2. Setting up exclusively via HomeKit (after removing the Natatmo app) 3. Setting up in HomeKit and then checking settings in reinstalled Netatmo app.

No change. Screenshots of doorbell in HomeKit attached. Doorbell works, notifications work, no recording options in HomeKit.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Are you positive the Netatmo doorbell supports HKSV? Just checked the website and saw no mention of it (for the doorbell) unless I missed something. Thought it was still being worked on. Just looking at your screens, HKSV cameras should have a lot more setting options. Activity zones, face recognition, recording options…

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
HKSV for the Netatmo Doorbell is still in beta, so not officially available.
Only Presence and Welcome support it so far.

keltorsori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Yep! I’m an idiot! Also an idiot for trying the Netatmo instead of the Logi Circle.
Well here’s to hoping HKSV makes it out of beta one day.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yep! I’m an idiot! Also an idiot for trying the Netatmo instead of the Logi Circle.
Don’t be too hard on yourself. The Logi View doorbell is having problems of its own. I just bought one but have yet to install it. The Google Nest Hello has been great with the Starling Hub but I’m looking to go all in on HKSV.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
It will make it out of beta.
Netatmo aren't always the fastest, but they've always delivered on their promises so far.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
They have been working on it for many many months if not years. It is ridiculous how long they are taking. When they announced this device back, two or three years ago, they promised almost immediate HomeKit Secure Video and here we are still no closer to getting it.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
While they’re generally not among the fastest, I agree that everything related to the Doorbell seems to be extra slow, starting with the release of the device.
But I’m still confident we’ll eventually get HKSV.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
They have been working on it for many many months if not years. It is ridiculous how long they are taking. When they announced this device back, two or three years ago, they promised almost immediate HomeKit Secure Video and here we are still no closer to getting it.
I don’t get the hold up with all these HomeKit devices. Is Apple not giving them the criteria to make them compatible? Is this a giant mystery that the third party has to figure out? FFS I thought this would all be corrected when Apple got rid of the HomeKit chip. Why the heck are doorbells with a camera in it such a huge issue for HomeKit?!?

I was excited when Netatmo announced the doorbell. Lost interest in it many moons ago. It was announced at CES 2019 with shipping later that same year.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I honestly don’t know, but have to assume in this instance that it is Netatmo that are having the issues themselves implementing it. After all, there are other providers with secure video built-in.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I honestly don’t know, but have to assume in this instance that it is Netatmo that are having the issues themselves implementing it. After all, there are other providers with secure video built-in.
It was more of a rhetorical question. It’s ridiculous is what I’m saying lol.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

uk1simon

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
UK
It would be nice for Netatmo to give some roadmap for HKSV. Customers have been waiting a long time, with no updates, just generic responses.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Sadly, they don’t do this. It‘s been three years since the doorbell has been announced, some 15 months since it has been available, and also some months since HKSV has entered Beta. But still, no sign of it being released to the ordinary customer.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
They should do the right thing and fully refund everybody that purchased this piece of crap doorbell. Personally I think it’s madness to buy something based on promises of a feature that might come. But each to their own of course. However Netatmo have absolutely failed with this product.

Reactions: Itinj24

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Well, to be fair, the doorbell per se works fine (after some firmware updates). What's bugging me is the long wait time between announcement and actual availability and the still missing HKSV feature.
On the plus side, though, you don't need to pay for a Netatmo cloud or something like it, as you can save the footage to your NAS, Dropbox, whatever … Granted, that doesn't give you recognition of known people, but still.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Knowing how litigious the Yanks are, I’m amazed no one has started a class action lawsuit against this disgrace of a company. I don’t normally support CALs, but I think in this instance they deserve everything they get.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When this doorbell was first announced. I was really looking forward to it. Looked great and pretty much the first company to announce a HomeKit doorbell. Then the extremely long wait for it to be available for sale. I gave up hope on it during that time and a Logitech very sneakily (don’t remember them ever announcing it before it was available) released their Circle View.

After Ring’s announcement of HomeKit and never following through, I will never again buy a product based on a promise. HKSV in this case. I feel bad for whomever bought it and are still playing the waiting game. I can empathize.

Reactions: StumpyBloke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.