Netflix Adds 30-Second Preview Videos to iOS App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix today added a slew of 30-second video trailers to its iOS app, after limited testing of the feature since early March.

Optimized for mobile, the trailers ape the look of Snapchat and Instagram Stories, appearing as circular icons on the app's main screen and playing back in a vertical format on iPhones. Netflix offered its rationale for the feature in a blog post on its website:

[​IMG]
    While watching a trailer, users can tap to play the content being previewed, get more information on it, or add it to their Watch Later list. Tapping the video or swiping across it also skips to another trailer without having to return to the main screen.

The company introduced video previews to its TV and web interface last year, but Netflix says around a fifth of all viewing occurs on mobile devices, which is why previews will be a permanent feature of the app going forward. Currently in the list are 75 custom-crop previews for both original and licensed content, with Netflix expected to add more in future.

Netflix exceeded Wall Street expectations this week by adding 7.4 million new subscribers between January and March, giving it a total of 125 million paying subscribers worldwide - far more than Amazon and Hulu.

The service is now available in 190 countries, and users of the streaming service can expect a crop of new television shows from around the world to debut this year, including a six-part British series called The English Game, a look into the invention of football, written by the creator of Downton Abbey. Netflix says several newly announced movies will also be added in 2018, along with new seasons of existing series, such as Glow.

Article Link: Netflix Adds 30-Second Preview Videos to iOS App

2. Sven11 Suspended

3. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

I hate that feature - it’s user hostile with no way to disable it, particularly on the AppleTV app... I shouldn’t have to mute my device to browse.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I hate this on my Roku TV and wish every day that there were a way to disable it.

5. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Wow that looks terrible. I hate on the desktop how you have to mute the volume just to browse Netflix.

6. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Oh no... not the auto-playing stuff? I loathe it. Still doesn’t happen on one of my FireTVs (no idea why) and it does my head in on the one it does do it on. It actively discourages me to browse.

I want video to play when I decide, not you Netflix. Even Apple would give an option to disable this.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Crap! I’ve been using my phone to browse Netflix so I wouldn’t have to deal with these auto-play videos when finding something to watch.

8. MrGuder macrumors 68030

9. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Seriously vertical trailers now? Are people to lazy to turn their phones sideways these days?

10. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Guess I'm in the minority here. Really like the autoplay video previews atleast on the big screen. Not sure how good this will be on the iPhone. Also, I do agree there should always be an option to disable these from auto playing for those who dont want it.

11. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

My Sony TV (Android based) started doing this a few weeks/couple months ago after an update.

I hate it.

Slows the entire quick browsing experience down.

I want to turn it off.

12. alexanderkilts macrumors newbie

alexanderkilts

This autoplay on my Roku (with no way to disable) is the reason I might unsubscribe from Netflix.

It makes me use the service less.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Definitely user-hostile to not even include a way to disable it.

14. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm waiting for the news story "Netflix provides setting to disable video previews"

15. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Dear god in heaven no. This is the worst feature on the PS4 app! It’s so annnnoying.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2018 ---
    They know people don’t like it so why are they so adamant to include this feature?? I don’t get it it’s weird to keep it in there without an option at least! What I do now is browse with my amplifier muted and it has stopped me from browsing what’s on offer. It’ll get to the point where if I’m not watching enough I’ll stop my subscription if they’re not careful

16. malcolmman89 macrumors newbie

I totally agree. My LG smart TV's Netflix app started doing this a while back, and then the Apple TV app. I find it irritating, and it slows down browsing because the app is trying to load, buffer, and play a video while I'm trying to scroll through. I really hope they add an option to disable this soon.

17. Xenc macrumors 65816

Xenc

You have to tap on the video for it to play...

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Probably paid under the table by ISP’s to include this and purposely use more data.

19. linkmaster02 macrumors member

People are complaining that this is autoplay or will eat up data, but I don't see where it says it is autoplay? From the screenshot it looks like you have to tap to view a preview.

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Right, you have to tap on a preview to start viewing. Once you’re in the previews, if you swipe to the next preview, it will start autoplaying after a short delay.

21. Xenc macrumors 65816

Xenc

So you have to tap to start playing and then swipe to continue? Where’s the problem!

22. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

At least on iOS it's click to play. On other devices (my TV, cable box etc.) you get blasted with the audio as you're scrolling through the list, so you turn it down (or off) and back up again when you want to play. Even more annoying with my receiver which has a click when it's receiving a dolby signal, so that clicks on and off and on and off as you're scrolling the content.

It's an ok feature, but they have to allow us to disable it or at the very least mute the autoplay video.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Exactly and exactly.

24. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

This feature is awful on my Xbox. I hate muting my TV just to read the description for anything.

25. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Once you tap on a preview, it’ll start playing, and other previews will keep autoplaying, one after the other, no swiping is ever required.

Swiping is for terminating the currently playing preview, so you can go to another preview (which autoplays).

To go back to the lists screen, you tap the “X” in the upper right corner. Or you can hit the play button during the preview to watch that video.

I’m not sure there’s any problem on iOS, but apparently there are autoplaying videos on other platforms, from the lists screen.