Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

netflix.jpg
Internet streaming service Netflix has announced today that it is rolling out its Super HD video quality to all Netflix members and additional devices, including the 3rd-generation Apple TV. The viewing option is of a higher quality than a standard 1080p image due to a higher bit rate stream and reduced compression, and was previously only available on select ISPs with a direct connection to Netflix.
All Netflix members, regardless of their Internet service provider (ISP), now have access to the highest quality HD streams available on Netflix.

This means that the great TV shows and movies on Netflix will look even better on HD screens with a higher bit rate stream, Super HD, that applies less compression to the 1080p image.

We initially rolled out Super HD in January only through ISPs with a direct connection to Netflix. Based on the performance data we've seen, and in response to member requests, we are now expanding availability to give all our members the ability to enjoy Netflix in the best possible quality. Netflix uses "adaptive streaming" to dynamically adjust the video quality based on the available bandwidth. This means that the ability to receive Super HD depends on broadband quality and performance. Netflix members who subscribe to an ISP with a direct Netflix connection will get the best experience.
Originally added with the introduction of the 2nd generation Apple TV, Netflix has been updated on Apple's set-top box multiple times, including the addition of personalized profiles in August. The move also comes as Apple may be planning to release an updated Apple TV box next month, and comes after the addition of Major League Soccer and Disney Junior Channels to the set-top box today.

Article Link: Netflix Adds 'Super HD' Option for All Users and Additional Devices, Including 3rd Generation Apple TV

Giuly

macrumors 68040
We need the Apple TV 4K :D

(...and a TV to support it...)

This is still 1080p, for 4K you need to quadruple (or double/triple with h.265) the bandwidth to stream it with the same quality setting. This is a nice thing, but nowhere near 4K-ready.

A 4K Apple TV would also require a h.265 hardware decoder, and as far as I know, those are rather 2014 technology.

Lastly, few people have a 4K TV, with a 4K Apple TV you'd more likely end up with 6220800 pixels as spares if any of the ones from 1080p break.

Last edited:

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
My friggin' ISP (Mediacom) has recently put bandwidth caps on our accounts... I need to make sure if I set my resolution lower (to avoid going over the stupid cap) that it actually honors the setting on the ATV... I've set to low quality, and I can see it on the computer, but on the ATV the picture looks pretty much the same... I have a feeling that I'm getting higher bandwidth than I'm setting it for in the account.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Meanwhile, in Canada

And to think Netflix had to add a LOWER quality setting for Canadians because our ISPs have stupidly low monthly caps. :rolleyes:

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
What's one video on Netflix that is availble in ultra hd? I want to check it out, but when I go to the HD section and play a video it just says "Now playing in HD." Does Netflix specify if playing in Super HD or regular HD?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Is there a setting on the Apple TV or Netflix.com that we have to change ?
How do we know if the movie is super HD

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is still 1080p, for 4K you need to quadruple (or double/triple with h.265) the bandwidth to stream it with the same quality setting. This is a nice thing, but nowhere near 4K-ready.

A 4K Apple TV would also require a h.265 hardware decoder, and as far as I know, those are rather 2014 technology.

Lastly, few people have a 4K TV, with a 4K Apple TV you'd more likely end up with 6220800 pixels as spares if any of the ones from 1080p break.

I know (is in, I _really_ understand video tech...), I was having a little fun and being silly ... but thanks for your thoughtful contribution :)

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Ok this needs to be added to the OG post

Super HD-supported content will have a Super HD banner in the Netflix Apple TV app

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
What's one video on Netflix that is availble in ultra hd? I want to check it out, but when I go to the HD section and play a video it just says "Now playing in HD." Does Netflix specify if playing in Super HD or regular HD?

I just watched "The Road" in superHD. Looked great but occasionally the quality dipped down to standard def. My average download speed is 24 Mbps.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
So the 2nd-gen. does not support Super HD? It was the Netflix app introduced with the 2nd-gen, not Super HD?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Ok this needs to be added to the OG post

Super HD-supported content will have a Super HD banner in the Netflix Apple TV app

Neat. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better this looks (we're on a Comcast Biz Class connection, so it's pretty stout and very consistent). I know ultimately, a local disc/BD based copy has the best, but an improvement over the current "HD" from Netflix would be terrific. :cool:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
OMG

So, now that they have finally have true HD they are calling it "Super" HD??? :confused::rolleyes::p

Let's confuse the consumer even more: HD, Ultra HD (4K), and now "Super" HD? ugh. :rolleyes:

So, I guess HD means it could be 720p or 1080i or 1080p, but, "Super" HD is 1080p? What the f?

Netflix: just give user settings for HD: 720p or 1080p. Keep it simple, don't do this complicated stupid stuff. :p

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Aw what, I thought it would be 4K with the same amount of compression. :(
Actual Complaint: Dump stupid Silverlight already. If it's not needed for iOS, PCs shouldn't need it either. It's just H.264 video, no need to make a fuss about it and make us use sketchy plugins.

Last edited:

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Netflix: just give user settings for HD: 720p or 1080p. Keep it simple, don't do this complicated stupid stuff. :p

Just don't pay attention to pixel count. It hardly matters without context. "Super HD" simply means "super good quality", better than before.

I mean, you could have 1080p video that's so bad that your eyes burn. That's how my friend's phone camera is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.