Netflix Dolby Digital quit again

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
My Dolby Digital has quit working in Netflix again. Has anyone else had this?

It was fixed after the last atv update until today. I can still get it to go into DD if I airplay from the iPhone app, or play a movie from iTunes on my computer.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
confirmed, it was working since the last update. but no longer.

using house of cards
aTV3, latest update

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Ehh! Netflix raising price and DD not working again talk about terrible service not even new movies next month added to streaming at this rate they might as well go out like Blockbuster.

Apple is stupid for not adding Amazon Prime yet if they were smart they would have their own streaming service.

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
Ehh! Netflix raising price and DD not working again talk about terrible service not even new movies next month added to streaming at this rate they might as well go out like Blockbuster.

Apple is stupid for not adding Amazon Prime yet if they were smart they would have their own streaming service.
It has been frustrating with Dolby Digital lately. My guess is it's on Netflix's end since it was working fine after Apple's last software update.

An Apple streaming service would be great and I think we'll see that eventually, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the studios are scared of Apple obtaining the leverage to impact pricing as they have done in the music industry.

As far as Amazon Prime, I think there's too much competition between the companies in the media consumption arena to see that. I would love to be wrong however.

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
It has been frustrating with Dolby Digital lately. My guess is it's on Netflix's end since it was working fine after Apple's last software update.

An Apple streaming service would be great and I think we'll see that eventually, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the studios are scared of Apple obtaining the leverage to impact pricing as they have done in the music industry.

As far as Amazon Prime, I think there's too much competition between the companies in the media consumption arena to see that. I would love to be wrong however.

Well on Amazon Fire there is also Netflix streaming app you would think Amazon would not have that on their device because of competition but they are willing to work with each other I am sure Apple can do the same if they wanted to. Apple right now is probably working on a music streaming system like Spotify same as Amazon by the time Apple gets into movie streaming like Netflix or Amazon will be quite a while but imagine if they did they would pretty much control everything not only that they probably could get the latest TV Shows and Movies.

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
Well on Amazon Fire there is also Netflix streaming app you would think Amazon would not have that on their device because of competition but they are willing to work with each other I am sure Apple can do the same if they wanted to. Apple right now is probably working on a music streaming system like Spotify same as Amazon by the time Apple gets into movie streaming like Netflix or Amazon will be quite a while but imagine if they did they would pretty much control everything not only that they probably could get the latest TV Shows and Movies.
Well like I said, I'd love to be wrong about amazon prime coming to the Apple TV, but I don't really see it happening.

Apple already has a music streaming service.

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Well like I said, I'd love to be wrong about amazon prime coming to the Apple TV, but I don't really see it happening.

Apple already has a music streaming service.

iTunes radio is not the same as Spotify it is like Pandora you can not leasing each song at your ease or a album.

Comment

Burgy100

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
Bedford, UK
I to can confirm that DD5.1 is not working for me in the UK. After the last update a few days ago it was working again and then after just 24 hours it stopped!

Steve

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
iTunes radio is not the same as Spotify it is like Pandora you can not leasing each song at your ease or a album.
Ok. I see your point. I don't use spotify and I thought it was another streaming service.

----------

Back on topic...

I to can confirm that DD5.1 is not working for me in the UK. After the last update a few days ago it was working again and then after just 24 hours it stopped!

Steve
Thanks for the update.

Comment

niteflyr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Spent an hour on the phone with Netflix support. They claim it's Apples problem of course. What could have changed? It worked fine for a few days after latest software update. Anyone talked to Apple about this? Mines out of warranty.

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
Spent an hour on the phone with Netflix support. They claim it's Apples problem of course. What could have changed? It worked fine for a few days after latest software update. Anyone talked to Apple about this? Mines out of warranty.
Did it sound like they were aware of the problem, or you were the first they'd heard of it?

I'm well out of warranty too so haven't called Apple. I would guess it's Netflix since it was working right after the last Apple update. Of course I'm just guessing.

It is annoying having to airplay all of my shows from my iphone to get DD.

Comment

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Contradictory info since they admitted it was their fault the previous time.

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
By the time they bother fixing this issue again grrr:mad: Also what is up with Netflix help section the only option I get is phone calling no chat option anymore why?:confused:

Comment

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...It also appears that some titles are working in 5.1, but Netflix pulled the DD logo from their titles. Hopefully there's a real fix soon
I checked the other night and noticed the DD missing from titles also. Thank goodness for AirPlay.;)

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
I checked the other night and noticed the DD missing from titles also. Thank goodness for AirPlay.;)
I just tried an episode of Dexter and even with the DD lable gone, it played in DD. I guess for now it will be trial and error on whether we need to use airplay.

Comment

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I just tried an episode of Dexter and even with the DD lable gone, it played in DD. I guess for now it will be trial and error on whether we need to use airplay.
So Netflix is able to offer 5.1 on some of the previous 5.1 material? This is strange since it seems it would be all 5.1 material works (all) or doesn't work (none) problem.

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
So Netflix is able to offer 5.1 on some of the previous 5.1 material? This is strange since it seems it would be all 5.1 material works (all) or doesn't work (none) problem.
I would have thought the same thing. An all or nothing fix. It seems to be a slow fix though since it looks like some titles are starting to show DD. I don't get the slow response to fixing this issue...

Comment

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Like everyone else, I've not had DD on any Netflix content for weeks, but I'm currently watching a movie which does have the DD icon. More importantly, it is actually outputting Dolby Digital to the AVR. Maybe the problem is fixed?

Comment

Infocalypse1

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
DD working for me

I checked a wide variety of Netflix movies and a high percentage have DD, both logo and on my HT system. I was particularly interested in checking movie that had it in the past and had lost it earlier. All were back.

Comment

drmikey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
I checked a wide variety of Netflix movies and a high percentage have DD, both logo and on my HT system. I was particularly interested in checking movie that had it in the past and had lost it earlier. All were back.
I think we're all back to normal. At least for everything that I've been watching. Hopefully it stays that way...

Comment