Netflix Dolby Digital quit again

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by drmikey, Apr 30, 2014.

1. drmikey macrumors member

My Dolby Digital has quit working in Netflix again. Has anyone else had this?

It was fixed after the last atv update until today. I can still get it to go into DD if I airplay from the iPhone app, or play a movie from iTunes on my computer.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

confirmed, it was working since the last update. but no longer.

using house of cards
    aTV3, latest update

3. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Ehh! Netflix raising price and DD not working again talk about terrible service not even new movies next month added to streaming at this rate they might as well go out like Blockbuster.

Apple is stupid for not adding Amazon Prime yet if they were smart they would have their own streaming service.

4. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

It has been frustrating with Dolby Digital lately. My guess is it's on Netflix's end since it was working fine after Apple's last software update.

An Apple streaming service would be great and I think we'll see that eventually, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the studios are scared of Apple obtaining the leverage to impact pricing as they have done in the music industry.

As far as Amazon Prime, I think there's too much competition between the companies in the media consumption arena to see that. I would love to be wrong however.

5. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Well on Amazon Fire there is also Netflix streaming app you would think Amazon would not have that on their device because of competition but they are willing to work with each other I am sure Apple can do the same if they wanted to. Apple right now is probably working on a music streaming system like Spotify same as Amazon by the time Apple gets into movie streaming like Netflix or Amazon will be quite a while but imagine if they did they would pretty much control everything not only that they probably could get the latest TV Shows and Movies.

6. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Well like I said, I'd love to be wrong about amazon prime coming to the Apple TV, but I don't really see it happening.

Apple already has a music streaming service.

7. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

iTunes radio is not the same as Spotify it is like Pandora you can not leasing each song at your ease or a album.

8. Burgy100 macrumors newbie

I to can confirm that DD5.1 is not working for me in the UK. After the last update a few days ago it was working again and then after just 24 hours it stopped!

Steve

9. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I see your point. I don't use spotify and I thought it was another streaming service.

----------

Back on topic...

Thanks for the update.

10. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Spent an hour on the phone with Netflix support. They claim it's Apples problem of course. What could have changed? It worked fine for a few days after latest software update. Anyone talked to Apple about this? Mines out of warranty.

11. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Did it sound like they were aware of the problem, or you were the first they'd heard of it?

I'm well out of warranty too so haven't called Apple. I would guess it's Netflix since it was working right after the last Apple update. Of course I'm just guessing.

It is annoying having to airplay all of my shows from my iphone to get DD.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Contradictory info since they admitted it was their fault the previous time.

[​IMG]

13. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

14. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

By the time they bother fixing this issue again grrr:mad: Also what is up with Netflix help section the only option I get is phone calling no chat option anymore why?:confused:

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Really tired that this is happening yet again. Wish these two could get their act together.

16. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I checked the other night and noticed the DD missing from titles also. Thank goodness for AirPlay.;)

18. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

I just tried an episode of Dexter and even with the DD lable gone, it played in DD. I guess for now it will be trial and error on whether we need to use airplay.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So Netflix is able to offer 5.1 on some of the previous 5.1 material? This is strange since it seems it would be all 5.1 material works (all) or doesn't work (none) problem.

20. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

21. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

I would have thought the same thing. An all or nothing fix. It seems to be a slow fix though since it looks like some titles are starting to show DD. I don't get the slow response to fixing this issue...

22. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Like everyone else, I've not had DD on any Netflix content for weeks, but I'm currently watching a movie which does have the DD icon. More importantly, it is actually outputting Dolby Digital to the AVR. Maybe the problem is fixed?

23. twintin macrumors 6502

Maybe so. Just viewed Pacific Rim an it also had DD.

24. Infocalypse1 macrumors newbie

DD working for me

I checked a wide variety of Netflix movies and a high percentage have DD, both logo and on my HT system. I was particularly interested in checking movie that had it in the past and had lost it earlier. All were back.

25. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

I think we're all back to normal. At least for everything that I've been watching. Hopefully it stays that way...