MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

netflix.jpg
Netflix today updated its iOS app to add support for iOS 11 and Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) video on compatible devices.

According to Netflix, Dolby Vision is available on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and the 12.9 and 10.5-inch iPad Pro models. Netflix's HDR content is also available on the new Apple TV 4K.

Netflix first promised to introduce HDR quality content for mobile viewing back in March, and support comes just as the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are launching.

HDR titles can be found on Netflix by searching for "HDR." There is a limited amount of HDR content available on Netflix, and much of it limited to Netflix-created television shows and movies.

To view HDR content, Netflix requires subscribers to have a premium plan, priced at $11.99. The $11.99 price provides access to HD and Ultra UD content along with the ability to watch on four screens at once and download videos on four phones or tablets.

Netflix can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Netflix for iOS Updated With HDR Support for iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
I thought you had to have OLED panels for HDR to work properly? Woops.

Would somebody explain HDR to me? I don't understand it in the context of video (I understand how it works in photos). I thought that dynamic range was solely reliant on the camera equipment being used? Is extra contrast being added in post?

Comment

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I thought only iPhone X had HDR. They didn’t mention anything about iPhone 8 or iPad Pro ever

Comment

Nickash28

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Hopefully this means we can expect an updated tv app from them to,Oreos to bring the 4k library to the new 4k tv.

Comment

TapDatApp

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I realize the Netflix support website literally says Dolby Vision is supported through its app on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, but they must be mistaken. The only iPhone to support HDR, let alone Dolby Vision, is the iPhone X. They also failed to specify which iPad Pros (2017 10.5 inch and 2017 12.9 inch) support the standard. I’m just shocked no one at Netflix or MacRumors when reporting it caught this. The iPhone 8 series does NOT support HDR...

Comment

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Ughh the iPhone 8 doesnt do HDR??
According to Netflix, Dolby Vision is available on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and the 12.9 and 10.5-inch iPad Pro models. Netflix's HDR content is also available on the new Apple TV 4K.
Did you read this paragraph?
And the 2017 10.5” iPad Pro
Yeah, that was already stated. What wasn’t clarified by MacRumors was that only the 2017 iPad Pro models support HDR, so the older 12.9” and the 9.7” do not do HDR.

Just go to apple’s website, select the product, go to the tech specs, video playback section and, if it is compatible, it will state “Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content”, if it does not state that, it is not compatible. (7/7+ are not compatible.)
[doublepost=1506051784][/doublepost]
I realize the Netflix support website literally says Dolby Vision is supported through its app on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, but they must be mistaken. The only iPhone to support HDR, let alone Dolby Vision, is the iPhone X. They also failed to specify which iPad Pros (2017 10.5 inch and 2017 12.9 inch) support the standard. I’m just shocked no one at Netflix or MacRumors when reporting it caught this. The iPhone 8 series does NOT support HDR...
From apple’s website, go to iPhone, click compare, scroll down to video playback section.

BAC56A3C-C61F-4AB9-8934-123455DCB7E3.jpeg

Comment

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I thought you had to have OLED panels for HDR to work properly? Woops.

Would somebody explain HDR to me? I don't understand it in the context of video (I understand how it works in photos). I thought that dynamic range was solely reliant on the camera equipment being used? Is extra contrast being added in post?

Generally speaking HDR is just higher color gamut and contrast. A good VA panel with local array dimming can easily meet HDR specs, doesn’t have to be OLED.

Reactions: DcGamer05
Comment

TapDatApp

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Did you read this paragraph?

Yeah, that was already stated. What wasn’t clarified by MacRumors was that only the 2017 iPad Pro models support HDR, so the older 12.9” and the 9.7” do not do HDR.

Just go to apple’s website, select the product, go to the tech specs, video playback section and, if it is compatible, it will state “Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content”, if it does not state that, it is not compatible. (7/7+ are not compatible.)
[doublepost=1506051784][/doublepost]
From apple’s website, go to iPhone, click compare, scroll down to video playback section.

View attachment 719853

Strange. Totally missed that. So I wonder what actually is the difference. That same comparison sheet states that the iPhone X has an “HDR Display” whereas the iPhone 8 series does not. What’s the difference between supporting HDR playback and having an HDR display?

Comment

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Wow, another reason the 8 IS a solid upgrade this year. I had no idea my 8 was going to have HDR! Pretty damn cool. True Tone + HDR support is a fairly large update to the screen.

For those that say you “need” 1000 nits for HDR, you don’t. I have a Dolby Vision LG tv that does HDR well and it doesn’t get too bright. Also, OLED’s weakness is brightness (pointed out by Apple at the keynote) and OLED TVs kick butt. Can’t wait to check this out tomorrow when it arrives. Color me surprised (no pun intended).

Comment

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Strange. Totally missed that. So I wonder what actually is the difference. That same comparison sheet states that the iPhone X has an “HDR Display” whereas the iPhone 8 series does not. What’s the difference between supporting HDR playback and having an HDR display?

Yeah, that's what I saw too, that's weird, maybe just a selling point for the X, just like they didn't include the portrait mode in the front camera for the 8 Plus, just making stuff up to differentiate the X and the 8.

Comment

Jensend

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2008
Just watched part of The Defenders side-by-side on my iPad 3 and iPad Pro 10.5”. The only difference I noticed were that reds were a little more saturated in some scenes on the Pro. (And the Pro has a bit better contrast overall, but that applies to all content)

Oh, and the Pro also has awful automatic contrast adjustment when no controls are on the screen. It blows out highlights. Why don't more people complain about this?

Comment

budselectjr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Just watched part of The Defenders side-by-side on my iPad 3 and iPad Pro 10.5”. The only difference I noticed were that reds were a little more saturated in some scenes on the Pro. (And the Pro has a bit better contrast overall, but that applies to all content)

Oh, and the Pro also has awful automatic contrast adjustment when no controls are on the screen. It blows out highlights. Why don't more people complain about this?

The biggest difference I think with HDR content is peak brightness. The 10.5 iPad screen is 600 nits which in the grand scheme of things, is on the low end for HDR displays. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the iPad screen is bad but obviously a larger screen with higher nits gives a better HDR experience.

I have not watched The Defenders so I don't how the good the HDR is on that one. Some movies look much better. Try watching Pacific Rim in HDR if thats available on iTunes. That is great HDR demo material. Mad Max is another one. My Vizio P-Series is only 600 nits as well but both of those look amazing.

Last edited:
Comment

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Comment

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Netflix released the update on the heels of iOS11. I am looking at your Amazon, you have been the slacker here, what happened to Amazon Video Apple TV app?

Reactions: nburwell
Comment

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
They said fall, today is the first day of fall...
They have been kicking the can down the road for as long as Apple TV 4 has been in existence. I don't have much faith that Amazon will follow through, but I am hopeful.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.