MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Netflix announced today that they have begun testing Mac video streaming to a small portion of their subscribers, and expects widespread availability by the end of the year.
Netflix, Inc., the world's largest online movie rental service, today announced it has begun the deployment of Microsoft Silverlight to enhance the instant watching component of the Netflix service and to allow subscribers for the first time to watch movies and TV episodes instantly on their Intel-based Apple Macintosh computers. The deployment, which will initially touch a small percentage of new Netflix subscribers, is the first step in an anticipated roll-out of the new platform to all Netflix subscribers by the end of the year.
The streaming service is based on Microsoft's Silverlight technology and will only be available to Intel-based Macs. Netflix has been talking about Mac support for some time now, but appears to be on track to deliver it by year's end.

Netflix is best known for its mail-order DVD rental service but also includes unlimited video streaming with their fixed monthly plans starting at $9/month. Netflix recently expanded their content available for streaming, which also includes a number of television shows as well as movie titles.

Article Link: Netflix Mac Video Streaming Begins Testing

wavelayer

macrumors member
May 17, 2005
Still glad I got a Roku box. But it will be convenient to check stuff out on the mac once in a while. Now that Starz in in the game, there's quite a selection to choose from.

Comment

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Well now I feel like crap. A month ago I told my mom, who loves her NetFlix, that she will soon be able to stream it to her Mac only to find out now that it's only for Intels. That sucks. Can someone else tell her for me? I got her hopes up so high.

Comment

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Well that sucks I wait all this time only to find out I would have to install Silverlight.

That mixed with the fact the the last 6 DVDs I got were scratched makes me no like netflix anymore.

bunch of bastards.

"Sorry your disc was unplayable, we have shipped out a replacement (that is also scratched) for you"

errrr:mad:

Comment

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Pretty cool...my parents subscribe to netflix and have a roku box that is pretty fun actually...so now i'll be able to take advantage of the service on my mac too...streaming makes a lot more sense than buying to me....have you gone to the HD gallery on Hulu...it streams beautifully in 720p and no space on my hard disk is eaten up...

Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Well now I feel like crap. A month ago I told my mom, who loves her NetFlix, that she will soon be able to stream it to her Mac only to find out now that it's only for Intels. That sucks. Can someone else tell her for me? I got her hopes up so high.

Use BootCamp. Oh wait...
Use Parallels or VMWare... damn

Face it, the PPC is getting old. A G4 Mac can't really handle H.264 or anything High Def anyway so it wouldn't be fun even trying.

Comment

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
M$ again

Silverlight sucks. Microsoft sucks. I won't install that to watch netflix. I'll keep on getting the DVDs.

Comment

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Silverlight sucks. Microsoft sucks. I won't install that to watch netflix. I'll keep on getting the DVDs.

OK - you're "supermacguy" so I will cut you a little slack, but this is Apple doing, no one else's. So first off, Silverlight does not suck. Silverlight is actually a very nice developent environment. It won't ever surpass Flash for marketshare or anything, but it does have one thing that Flash and Apple's QT/iTunes do not, and that is DRM capabilities that a third party can license.

Like it or not, that is a requirement for NetFlix, and it is something that Apple could've fixed long ago - but Apple doesn't want Netflix competition on movie rentals/sales, so it isn't available.

Kudos to NetFlix for working around it with Silverlight to give Mac users a closer to first class experience. It's also a little gutsy since Silverlight is still pretty dripping wet (even on the Windows side) but they really aren't stressing the capabilities too badly here, so I bet it works OK.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
This is a good thing no matter what software it uses. So Silverlight is made by Microsoft? Not a big deal to me. I have Office on my Mac and already have Silverlight installed. I get Blu-rays on Netflix, but for movies that are less popular I use the on-line service on my PC laptop. It works ok, but in the evenings when a lot of people are using the service it seems to bog down. I hope they address their server issues and make sure they are ready to serve a new chunk of subscribers when the Mac service goes on-line.

Comment

wavelayer

macrumors member
May 17, 2005

Get her a Roku for xmas:)

Comment

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
What does Netflix on Windows currently use? I don't believe it's Silverlight since they don't list it in the requirements, maybe Flash or just WMP? If it's WMP I can understand them using Silverlight since WMP isn't available for Mac and Flip4Mac doesn't do DRM. But if it's Flash, I wonder why they don't just stick with it. Given the lack of PPC support they are probably using Silverlight 2.0 rather than Silverlight 1.0 which was PPC compatible.

Comment

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
DVD Player and VLC work fine.. ;)

Well DVD play is an Apple product, and VLC does not have streaming support (at least I don't think it does), however I think it was kind of weak for netflix to blame Apple. I am sure they could have gotten something done with quicker without blaming.

Comment

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
What does Netflix on Windows currently use? I don't believe it's Silverlight since they don't list it in the requirements, maybe Flash or just WMP? If it's WMP I can understand them using Silverlight since WMP isn't available for Mac and Flip4Mac doesn't do DRM. But if it's Flash, I wonder why they don't just stick with it. Given the lack of PPC support they are probably using Silverlight 2.0 rather than Silverlight 1.0 which was PPC compatible.

They've been using WMP. Now that they're switching to Silverlight it might even work on Linux, too.

Comment

BlairMALL

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Best of both mediocre worlds

With Netflix you can do both! I still get the DVDs, and switch over to windows via parallels to watch online during those crazy shipping moments. It's quite cool. I don't know if Silverlight is any worse than switching over to windows to watch a film. I can't wait to watch on my mac.

Blair

Comment

Malcster

Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Well DVD play is an Apple product, and VLC does not have streaming support (at least I don't think it does), however I think it was kind of weak for netflix to blame Apple. I am sure they could have gotten something done with quicker without blaming.

VLC supports lots of streaming options.

This is due to Apple because they won't license the FairPlay DRM out to anyone, so they use Silverlights DRM functionality.

Comment

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
VLC supports lots of streaming options.

This is due to Apple because they won't license the FairPlay DRM out to anyone, so they use Silverlights DRM functionality.

I know Apple won't license their DRM and I am all for that, but this delay was not caused by Apple.

Finding out the VLC can stream video leaves another ave. that netflix could have taken, I just don't like that we wait this long and they say it is totally Apple fault.

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
who cares?

Who cares if it uses Silverlight, as long as it works?

Comment

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
So, the announcement seems quite vague, only a few lucky Netflix subscribers are able to do this until the end of the year when it becomes available? How do you get chosen to participate? I have been looking forward to this feature since I became a Netflix subscriber one month ago!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.