Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I called and asked - it's a random rollout, in stages, and there's no way to be added to a waiting list, so we just have to wait out turn.

Well, I just checked my account and I'm not on the list. I wonder what their criteria are, I'm sure it's not totally random. Oh well, only another month or two before it's offered to everyone.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I just re-subscribed Netflix days ago. Fired up VMware Fusion and checked out the streaming movie titles, there ain't many available. So far, I don't see the movie streaming that valuable, I will stick with the DVD/BR delivery method.

Try looking under the STARZ category. There's many titles and there's no extra charge for their streaming service. For the price I think it's decent.

For those that want the latest and greatest movies, then order their discs, get an Apple TV or sub to Blockbuster! Or go to the local video store--)))

I have found plenty of choice on netflix and a pretty good bang for the buck. ;)

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
Well that sucks I wait all this time only to find out I would have to install Silverlight.

That mixed with the fact the the last 6 DVDs I got were scratched makes me no like netflix anymore.

bunch of bastards.

"Sorry your disc was unplayable, we have shipped out a replacement (that is also scratched) for you"

errrr:mad:

Call them. Tell them about the number of scratched discs you've received. They will probably give you a month free. They were very cool when I complained about receiving some cracked disks. Good luck.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
How are they choosing people to test this? How does Netflix know what subscribers have a Mac?

Netflix rocks, in a couple of weeks my Xbox 360 will be able to stream Netflix and now my Mac by the end of the year :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I don't tend to rent videos (I do here and there), but competition will help push down the prices on such services, and push technology in both video encoding, and ISPs to higher levels.

I highly doubt I will give it a try anytime soon, as I am not a fan of silverlight (nothing against Microsoft, I make a good living supporting their products) or flash video for the most part. I am fine with it for YouTube and such, but don't like what I have seen from Silverlight (though the process of encoding the content I have seen could have been bad) or flash, with regards to me actually paying to watch the content.

image.php

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Silverlight sucks. Microsoft sucks. I won't install that to watch netflix. I'll keep on getting the DVDs.

Silverlight is sometimes hit-or-miss, but in my experience it is far from terrible.

The MLB.TV live streams are often disappointing, but I watched the live HD feed from the Democratic Conventions and it was crystal clear, ran without a hitch, and looked AMAZING on my 24" LCD computer monitor.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
How are they choosing people to test this? How does Netflix know what subscribers have a Mac?

Netflix rocks, in a couple of weeks my Xbox 360 will be able to stream Netflix and now my Mac by the end of the year :)

I think they will do it the same way when they first started the roll out to PC Streaming. Not sure exactly what they base it on. But, they just start sending it out to a few, then more, then more and so on. I remember when the PC version came out, I only had to wait a few weeks and Boom one day it was available to me. I think that's just the way it's going to be now for the mac. Perhaps there doing it this way to limit band width server overloads?

I did call them this morning and the very nice lady I spoke to checked and said she's in the same boat and there's no list to get on in order to beta test or get it early.

Were going to have to just sit tight and wait! ;)

Nov 6, 2007
i'm probably the only person in the US who has an HD tv with rabbit ears....
jm

Um nope. I have a 15'' LCD HD TV in my bedroom (and will be buying a 40" or 42" one for the living room shortly).

I use rabbit ears. No Cable on my street (they consider me too rural, because I am on the county line, yet 3 miles down the street in the other 2 counties I boarder on have cable). I got rid of Satellite a few years ago, after 8 years of having it - Dish network was crying and they kept calling me trying anything to get me back. the lower packages don't have all the channels I would watch and I am not paying about $100/month for 300+ channels when I only watch maybe 5 of them. I told them, get ala-cart programming where I can pick the channels I want, and only charge the $3 per channel, like you do for add ons, and we shall see. Until then - noway.

Now with some stations already broadcasting digital and with digital sub-channels - I now pick up more programming, looks better than satellite too.

Hence why I may pickup another mini later this year. with all the tv shows and such being available on the internet - I probably will not go back to satellite.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007

They prob. print out a list of mac / safari users in the db and then throw darts at it.

I hope they throw a dart at me.

Micrll

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
This is good news in my opinion, but I have a question about netflix. If my parents were to get it back home and use the physical DVD's could I access the streaming portion of the site here at school, my parents won't use the streaming portion I'm sure because of the lack of a roku box or a computer hooked up to a TV.

quixotic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Can't wait

I stopped subscribing to cable about 5 years ago, we only have Netflix and an antenna. If I ever run out of discs, I stream with VMware, and cable out to a 42" Plasma.

What I really wish netflix would do, would be to allow me to download/buffer a higher res. movie, rather than limit me by my connection. There is a hack to do this, but it's pretty convoluted.

jmerk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2003
Minneapolis
by shervieux
"Hence why I may pickup another mini later this year. with all the tv shows and such being available on the internet - I probably will not go back to satellite."

EXACTLY! i have been crying for an a la carte service for cable/satellite forever-not happening. BUT, you mentioned the Mini and and what i'm saying is Apple really needs to combine the Mini and Apple TV and give us true HD content in a subscription model. great, i can watch tv shows on the web with a computer. do i want to haul my laptop down stairs (from my office) plug it in, et cetera to watch a few shows? no. ugghh...

i'd rather have an internet connected box that is small and could fit comfortably in the living room with the tv that could stream my iTunes library to the stereo, show photos of my son to my fam when they come over, and play HD movies that i can subscribe to on a monthly basis-give me that!

glad to know that i'm not the only one on rabbit ears...:)

jm

jmerk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2003
Minneapolis
by quixotic:
What I really wish netflix would do, would be to allow me to download/buffer a higher res. movie, rather than limit me by my connection. There is a hack to do this, but it's pretty convoluted.

true that!

this is why i think Apple is blowing it. they could offer a subscription for movie rentals and if you wanted the higher res. file that you could then buffer or download overnight, etc. people that actually care about quality understand that our internet speeds hamper some of this stuff but if it's important, will wait for it.

hell, i'd even pay a small upgrade price if they offered high res movies on an a la carte basis. do i want the latest chick flick in true HD? hells no! do i want "The Dark Knight"? hells, yeah!

then, if you want to buy a movie, same scenario applies...

hello? anyone? Apple? Steve? anyone? Steve Jobs?

jm

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I won't be getting the new Netflix unless it has FireWire. Oh wait ...

Didn't NBC use Silverlight for the Olympics this summer? The quality was stellar. So, is anyone's account enabled yet? Mine's not.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
On a side note ... does anyone know if us Canadians can Stream on our Macs or PC's some Netflix movies or TV shows ... or is it just for Americains ?

bwshockley

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Gilbert, AZ
So, the announcement seems quite vague, only a few lucky Netflix subscribers are able to do this until the end of the year when it becomes available? How do you get chosen to participate? I have been looking forward to this feature since I became a Netflix subscriber one month ago!

+1 on that! I want to be chosen. I don't like the fact they are doing it for new subscribers...I've been a Netflix subscriber for more than 5 years now...and I've been very patiently waiting for streaming on my Mac to occur. It's my turn dang it!

bwshockley

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Gilbert, AZ
by shervieux
glad to know that i'm not the only one on rabbit ears...:)

jm

I've been on rabbit ears for over a year now. I went from a nice HD DVR service to nothing but rabbit ears (no DVR). I've saved alot of money and more importantly...time. hehe. Sure, I miss being able to watch TV shows on demand, but I found myself watching less TV now. I know I could get a eyeTV hybrid and record shows, but I don't want to deal with my laptop doing that...now if I had money for a mini with eyetv...maybe.

mac-savant

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Silverlight and PPC

I have no problem with Netflix choosing Silverlight. It works and the Microsoft marketing people sell it very well.

I am pissed at Microsoft, and you should be as well.

Why the ƒÚçX did they bother to make a version 1.0 for PPC if they weren't going to make a 2.0?

I believe this is a reversion back to the Microsoft that we all know and love. Promise cross-platform capabilities for their shiny new product, then slowly weed out the non-Windows support.

I would not be surprised at all if Silverlight 3.0 doesn't support the Mac at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.