Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today announced the addition of several new parental control options, including a feature that lets parents and others add a PIN to their profile to prevent the profile from being accessed by others.

netflixpin.jpg

Setting a PIN can be done by opening up the account settings and scrolling down to the Profile and Parental Controls section.

From here, users can choose to enable the "Profile Lock" feature, which will ask for the account's password and then will allow a four-digit PIN to be created. PINs can be set up either on the Netflix website or within the mobile app on an iPhone or iPad.

Along with PINs for protecting profiles, Netflix has added filters for children's accounts that are based on country ratings, options to remove individual series or films by title, and a feature for reviewing each profile's setting using the Profile and Parental Controls hub in the settings menu.

Article Link: Netflix Now Lets You Add a PIN to Your Profile

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
A PIN seems like an obvious need. In general, Netflix has been terrible lately. I know they said they'd reduce the quality, but Ozark looked absolutely horrendous.

I could watch Avengers: End Game in full 4K from Disney+ and it looked great.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrixxa

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
That's great, a four-digit PIN... If someone try 50 combinations/day, how many days will it take to find out the correct PIN?

SurferPup

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
Sunshine Coast, 🇦🇺 Australia
I liked Netflix back in 2011 when their content was better plus it wasn't available in Australia so they were not detecting geographical blocking. What a treat when I discovered new shows like The Walking Dead which was unavailable here. TWD was the first show I watched on 🇺🇸 Netflix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regbial

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
I hope that was sarcasm, but in case you don't know, a four-digit PIN has a 10,000 combinations. At 50/day, you are still looking at 200 days to crack the code.
200 days is in the worst case.
[automerge]1586302620[/automerge]
Just tried 0000 to 0050 on grandma's profile and wasn't any of them - 199 days to go! 😝😝😝😝
I suspect grandma is binge watching, 'Hannah Montana' - closest fangurl!!
No, you have 195.078431 days to go!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: J.J. Sefton

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Great news! Travelling in the past (not that it's happening much now) I've seen all sorts of netflix accounts left logged into TVs. Good that I can use my netflix on the road and not worry about others leaching it.

sjalfr

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Thin air
Just tried 0000 to 0050 on grandma's profile and wasn't any of them - 199 days to go! 😝😝😝😝
I suspect grandma is binge watching, 'Hannah Montana' - closest fangurl!!

Let me narrow it down for you :
her year of birth
your year of birth
your sister's year of birth
same three but birth day and month
her current door number
her first house door number
last digits from her phone number.

You'll be yelling "I'm in" in no time and messing up her binge habits.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
That's great, a four-digit PIN... If someone try 50 combinations/day, how many days will it take to find out the correct PIN?

dont really think that this kind of thing necessitates a complex alphanumeric password; i feel like its more of a deterrent. granted, they could certainly allow the option for a six digit passcode or an alphanumeric password, but the lack of these options is not a problematic security risk at all. if the person im sharing an account with is that desperate to break into my profile then i guess id just kick them out and have them pay for their own damn account

Reactions: DoctorTech

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

The character in the graphic looks a little bit like they’re wearing Disney Mouse ears... :D

Which does make me think, it may not be causal, but it feels to me like since Disney+ has launched, Netflix has perhaps woken up to the fact they can’t just ignore users’ requests for completely reasonable features/options.

So this is a positive thing, just like finally being able to turn autoplay previews off is great. It would be nice if they abandon their tiered pricing model next and gave everyone the best resolution their connection/equipment could handle (at least after the current virus crisis measures), like some of their rivals.

Reactions: fbr$
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.