Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
So theoretically $8.99 for ads and $1 more for no ads? Doesn't make much sense. They'd be smart to start at $6.99, but it doesn't seem like Netflix execs are that.
They will likely increase the prices for other plans.

So think of it this way: they are not offering a cheaper options with ads, but they are increasing the prices for all plans and adding an ad-sponsored option at the original price of the lowest plan.

Or think of it this way: the small, medium, and large drinks at your coffee place all get price increases, but they add another option so that if you want small at the original price, they will spit in it.

Last edited:

IamTimCook

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2016
Imagine the bonus the exec that original came up with this scam got.
"...hey guys we can get corporations to pay us ad revenue and have our customers pay too."
"Tom you're a genius!!!"

Apple$

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
Netflix is the #1 premium streamer in the world. They'll charge $7 and you'll like it. Like how you pay excessive amounts for your iPhone.
Lol, I love how you assumed I have an iPhone.... 😉

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Fine with me. Only issue is there's no shows we want to watch. Its the cable dilemma with Netflix they have thousands of shows but you don't know which one to watch. Don't get me wrong you find gems, like Sunday Mass or All of us are dead, aside from their big shows. But after that hard to justify $15 or more monthly.

We have Hulu for $2 and ads are fine. Helps you take a short break and take out the laundry.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Netflix is a great thing for many people I’m sure, but for me I only pay for it when things like Stranger Things come out with new episodes and then I stop paying for it. I find myself watching old movies and TV shows that I’ve already seen so many times. There’s almost no new appealing content for me. I don’t see much value in it, especially if I use the most expensive 4K tier. I bet that lots of other people feel the same way about those streaming services.

Reactions: KeithBN

Rychiar

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Netflix is a great thing for many people I’m sure, but for me I only pay for it when things like Stranger Things come out with new episodes and then I stop paying for it. I find myself watching old movies and TV shows that I’ve already seen so many times. There’s almost no new appealing content for me. I don’t see much value in it, especially if I use the most expensive 4K tier. I bet that lots of other people feel the same way about those streaming services.
I don’t watch old tv or movies but Netflix pretty consistently offers new original shows i find interesting.

andrewsyd

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Reminds me of the early days of cable/pay TV here in Australia in the 90s. Part of the incentive of the concept of pay tv was that there were no ads (apart from promos for the channel's other content to fill the rest of that half hour block) and, for a few years, they actually couldn't run commercials by law (sounds amazing, right?) Then on 1st July 1997 it all changed when that law was lifted. The providers were promising that viewers wouldn't really notice much difference and that there would only be about 1 or 2 actual "commercials" during an ad break. Of course over time that changed dramatically and although I personally haven't had traditional pay tv in over 15 years now, last time I checked the amount of commercials and commercial breaks were staggeringly worse than free/normal tv.

My point is: It was always inevitable that streamers would become more and more like the thing they were originally supposed to "replace". They were always going to end up having ads--and once that becomes accepted and expected, they will only increase and eventually they will all do this (except for maybe Apple? 🤔)

And of course, like cable tv and having to supposedly pay for so many channels you never wanted in the first place just to get the 3 you actually wanted (which is a whole other discussion), you supposedly "need" a hundred different streamers to be able to access all the shows you really want.

Welcome to the beginnings of a new age in streaming. Let's face it, society rarely learns 😅

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Overall, Netflix makes no sense. I hate ads. Netflix will continue to lose subscribers because of this.

The fact it’s 2022, and Netflix is offering 480p streaming is beyond embarrassing. No shame!
I actually prefer this model. Rather have the cheapest plan at 480 with no ads than how Hulu makes me watch the same exact ad every 10 minutes. When you put 4k beside 480, are the difference extreme? Yeah, pretty much. But now take away the 4K and leave me with 480 - is my experience or immersion affected in the least? Not at all. I like 4K for gaming and it’s nice for when people are over since so many care about it, but I’m just fine watching 480 Netflix on my 65 inch 4K TV (again, for gaming). And most people would consider me a tech guru. I’ve just never felt the need to pay extra for video quality despite drooling over the latest and greatest screens at Best Buy.

Reactions: cyanite

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Reminds me of the early days of cable/pay TV here in Australia in the 90s. Part of the incentive of the concept of pay tv was that there were no ads (apart from promos for the channel's other content to fill the rest of that half hour block) and, for a few years, they actually couldn't run commercials by law (sounds amazing, right?) Then on 1st July 1997 it all changed when that law was lifted. The providers were promising that viewers wouldn't really notice much difference and that there would only be about 1 or 2 actual "commercials" during an ad break. Of course over time that changed dramatically and although I personally haven't had traditional pay tv in over 15 years now, last time I checked the amount of commercials and commercial breaks were staggeringly worse than free/normal tv.

My point is: It was always inevitable that streamers would become more and more like the thing they were originally supposed to "replace". They were always going to end up having ads--and once that becomes accepted and expected, they will only increase and eventually they will all do this (except for maybe Apple? 🤔)

And of course, like cable tv and having to supposedly pay for so many channels you never wanted in the first place just to get the 3 you actually wanted (which is a whole other discussion), you supposedly "need" a hundred different streamers to be able to access all the shows you really want.

Welcome to the beginnings of a new age in streaming. Let's face it, society rarely learns 😅
It’s not that they don’t learn (even though they don’t) but at the end of the day the only thing that matters to these comanies are profit margin, period. They don’t care about our bills or budget until it affects enough people to hurt, kind of like this.

Reactions: benji888

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It does seem rather odd to offer a plan only $1-2 cheaper a month that has the same 480p resolution and does not allow offline viewing as I don't see the incentive even if you're trying to save a buck (literally, in this case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.