Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

232353-590051_large.jpg

Netflix's blog reveals that they are indeed working on an iPhone version of their app that allows subscribers to stream video to their mobile device:
Steve Swasey, VP of Corporate Communications, here. Terrific response to our news today about Netflix on the iPad. For those of you asking whether Netflix will be on the iPhone and iPod Touch: We wouldn't invite you to dinner without planning to serve dessert. In other words, we're working on it so stay tuned.
Netflix generated a lot of headlines when news of their iPad app was revealed on April 1st. No word on when the iPhone version will become available.

Article Link: Netflix Streaming App Coming to iPhone Too

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Cool. But will AT&T's network handle the load? I would say yes, at least in the part of Houston I live.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This is awesome news.

I am a huge consumer of netflix streaming and have mutliple iphones so this will be nice.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Super ultra sweet.
I'm getting overdosed on all this good Apple news!

Too bad they will soon go out of business since they don't support flash and keep us locked up in an oh so icky "walled garden"!
Not

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Apple and Netflix--two of my favorite things. Putting them together feels amazing.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
This is awesome news.

I am a huge consumer of netflix streaming and have mutliple iphones so this will be nice.

agree - this news is quite awesome!

netflix has already saved me money and introduced me to tons of media i might not otherwise had experienced. on my iPad and soon to be on the iPhone as well - delicious...

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
agree - this news is quite awesome!

netflix has already saved me money and introduced me to tons of media i might not otherwise had experienced. on my iPad and soon to be on the iPhone as well - delicious...

Same here, and the playback quality keeps improving by the month.

Looking forward to Netflix on the iPad, and what a bonus, for the iPhone as well.

Seems AT&T will have their networks challenged even further, which hopefully gives an incentive to continue building them at an accelerated pace.

Wouldn't even mind Wi-Fi only, at the outset. :cool:

lcm123

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
netflix

I'm very interested in subscribing to Netflix because of this news. I know it's a little off the topic but I was wondering if anyone knows how Netflix works, for example, how many movies can one download a day. THanks.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I'm very interested in subscribing to Netflix because of this news. I know it's a little off the topic but I was wondering if anyone knows how Netflix works, for example, how many movies can one download a day. THanks.
The movies are streamed, and are unlimited in quantity - you can watch them 24/7. :)

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
That much more incentive for my to buy an airport card for our 1.25 ghtz G4 mac mini... and an airport express base station. We have no wireless.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
How long will they be able to hold prices the same on their rental service and offer free streaming to more and more devices as part of the same package?

I'm getting a great deal, paying my small monthly rental bill and watching all the streamed movies I want, and now I'll have new ways to view 'em. I'm starting to feel guilty for getting such a good deal!

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
How long will they be able to hold prices the same on their rental service and offer free streaming to more and more devices as part of the same package?

I'm getting a great deal, paying my small monthly rental bill and watching all the streamed movies I want, and now I'll have new ways to view 'em. I'm starting to feel guilty for getting such a good deal!

So true, especially considering the Blu-Ray discs they send four times a week on top of that. The subscription model seems to be working well for them. :)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The movies are streamed, and are unlimited in quantity - you can watch them 24/7. :)

But let's not forget the unfortunate fact that very, very few first run movies are offered on the streaming site, and that even a lot of older movies that you will look for will be unavailable for download. Not Netflix's fault, mind you. It's a byproduct of the greedy studios' continued fear of the reality of the future. PLEASE BOYCOTT PURCHASING ANY DVDs or BLU-RAY DISCS.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Some of the coolest things netflix has done with streaming is having shows in season be up there a day or two after the episode aired.

Last year they had NCIS, for example, but then it became the top rated show and did not do it again this year. Some stars shows have done, and a couple of other CBS shows have also done it, where you could find new episodes there within a day or two of their launch.

I would love to see more of that kind of stuff.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
...but will it be snappier™?

Anyways, I can't imagine streaming a whole movie over 3G on the iPhone... maybe via WiFi. But over 3G, the battery would be dead within about 2 hours, tops.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
But let's not forget the unfortunate fact that very, very few first run movies are offered on the streaming site, and that even a lot of older movies that you will look for will be unavailable for download. Not Netflix's fault, mind you. It's a byproduct of the greedy studios' continued fear of the reality of the future. PLEASE BOYCOTT PURCHASING ANY DVDs or BLU-RAY DISCS.
This is true, however, their selection seems to be improving incrementally.

Also, recent releases such as "The Proposal," "Whatever Works," etc. are made available for instant play, on a rotational basis.

I'll continue to boycott purchases as well - the Netflix solution makes this fairly easy to do.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
When netflix launched in the UK later this year, I'll definitely check it out.

If they can get shows like House up on the UK version as quickly as they are on the US version, It'll be a keeper for sure.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
ill take just wifi but id be supper happy for 3G as well i can watch any episode of the office 1-5 any time i want :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.