Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Did they remove it and replace it with hd ?
I've stopped seeing Super HD on my Apple TVs recently. It may have started with the 6.1 update but I'm not sure.
Running one of the test files from Netflix, I'm getting the full Super Hd feed so I'm not sure what's going on.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I haven't noticed a change. But can't say I have paid attention to if it still says it

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Yeah, same as others, never paid attention or notice a change. Well, I would notice sometimes when it says "Super HD" but as far as difference b/w "regular" HD and "super", both looked the same. And yes, I do have a 3rd gen ATV with a 1080p TV connected via HDMI and ethernet to FiOS (75/35).

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
LOL. When I saw "Super HD" I thought I was somehow getting the 4k version of a movie since I consider 1080p regular HD and Netflix is testing 4k streaming. Go figure.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
According to Netflix:

"Although some Super HD eligible devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices."

I see the "super hd" logo when searching on my computer, but I don't recall ever seeing it on my ATV3.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
According to Netflix:

"Although some Super HD eligible devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices."

I see the "super hd" logo when searching on my computer, but I don't recall ever seeing it on my ATV3.

The first time I saw it was on the ATV 3 I just bought a couple weeks ago to replace the ATV 2 I sold on eBay, so, yes, it was there. I just looked and I don't see it now. Maybe other people thought the same thing as I did and were confused.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
The first time I saw it was on the ATV 3 I just bought a couple weeks ago to replace the ATV 2 I sold on eBay, so, yes, it was there. I just looked and I don't see it now. Maybe other people thought the same thing as I did and were confused.

Ok. It must have something to do with the latest OS upgrade. A lot of people, myself included, are not getting Dolby Digital on ATV Netflix either now since latest upgrade.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Just checked and your right. Mine no longer says "Super HD" either. Bummer

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Just checked and your right. Mine no longer says "Super HD" either. Bummer

No bummer, according to the Netflix response in the post above. They just stopped calling 1080 "super" hd. They'll send whatever the device supports. Kind of silly to distinguish HDs since we can't choose one over the other at Netflix.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
No bummer, according to the Netflix response in the post above. They just stopped calling 1080 "super" hd. They'll send whatever the device supports. Kind of silly to distinguish HDs since we can't choose one over the other at Netflix.

Thats one way to look at it... I am more of a skeptic. Companies don't typically dilute their "Premium" products by making them indistinguishable from lesser quality products unless their is a financial benefit. Now, we the consumer do not know what content they are actually sending us, and knowing that Netflix has been battling with the ISP about their "Super HD" content and the fees to charged to them to transmit said content. Is this a way to reduce our services?? Some ISP's will get 1080 and some 720, but the customer won't know which??

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Thats one way to look at it... I am more of a skeptic. Companies don't typically dilute their "Premium" products by making them indistinguishable from lesser quality products unless their is a financial benefit. Now, we the consumer do not know what content they are actually sending us, and knowing that Netflix has been battling with the ISP about their "Super HD" content and the fees to charged to them to transmit said content. Is this a way to reduce our services?? Some ISP's will get 1080 and some 720, but the customer won't know which??

Since the data flow is already adjusted to the viewer's network strength, we've NEVER known exactly what resolution we are getting (except when it's obviously sd vs hd). The movie preview with the (Super)HD/SD designation only shows the best case scenario. HD vs Super HD isn't a "Premium" product difference to Netflix. It's just a capability of the end device.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It's gone on mine too

But no worries for me. I can't tell the difference between my Tivo or ATV3 now. My Tivo has offered "HD" for weeks on shows that have "SHD" on my ATV, but I can't tell the difference visually. My Tivo's streams sound better with 5.1 coming out of the unit - there's so much more feedback in the "Example Short 23.976" video that I can hear that doesn't come through on my ATV3 or iPad Air apps, but the video is identical.

My ISP is Comcast Business 50/10 FWIW, and I had the same issues as everyone else with Comcast since October...

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
The logo is indeed gone in 6.1 update. However you can verify the superhd feed by playing "example short" video in netflix which is a demo clip that displays the real time bitrate. I still get the 5800mb feed as before.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
So no more Dolby Surround 5.1 and Super HD on Netflix? So less and ****** quality with a high price of $8? Netflix is becoming a rip off I got Apple TV to get Surround Sound not stereo junk.:mad:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The only reason they put the Super HD tag before was to try to sell their "Super HD" service to ISPs. Now that Super HD works on all ISPs, there is really no reason to show the "Super HD" tag anymore. I'm sure it was done on purpose and I would assume they will be removing the tag on all devices eventually.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
The only reason they put the Super HD tag before was to try to sell their "Super HD" service to ISPs. Now that Super HD works on all ISPs, there is really no reason to show the "Super HD" tag anymore. I'm sure it was done on purpose and I would assume they will be removing the tag on all devices eventually.
Exactly this.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009

Okay that make sense how about the issue where Netflix no longer is streaming in Dolby 5.1 Surround when it shows the icon for Dolby now all it is playing is in stereo.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Okay that make sense how about the issue where Netflix no longer is streaming in Dolby 5.1 Surround when it shows the icon for Dolby now all it is playing is in stereo.

ScreenShot2014-03-23at72656AM_zps8804aa06.jpg

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
So no more Dolby Surround 5.1 and Super HD on Netflix? So less and ****** quality with a high price of $8? Netflix is becoming a rip off I got Apple TV to get Surround Sound not stereo junk.:mad:

Netflix Super HD and DD 5.1 still work on Roku - why have they been removed from ATV?

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Super HD has not been removed, there is still super HD

I can't speak to the video side, but I can't get 5.1 surround from Netflix on Apple TV. Here's what I tried a few days ago.

Mad Men on Netflix from Roku: 5.1 audio
Mad Men on Netflix from Apple TV: stereo only
HBO GO on Apple TV: 5.1 audio (so I know the input is set up correctly)

Netflix on Apple TV used to support 5.1, right? Has something changed, or is it just me?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
It is just the ATV Netflix since last software update. I can airplay Netflix from my iPad or iPhone to my ATV and get DD 5.1, but not on the ATV Netflix app itself. HBOGo and everything else works fine. I hope they fix this in the next update soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.