Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Netflix Surveying Users Regarding Interest in iPhone Streaming via Wi-Fi

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

HackingNetflix reports (via TechCrunch) that DVD rental and streaming service Netflix has issued a survey to some of its users including a question asking about their interest in using a Netflix iPhone application to watch streamed video offerings via Wi-Fi. The survey question reads:
Imagine that Netflix offers its subscribers the ability to instantly watch movies & TV episodes on their iPhone. The selection availability to instantly watch includes some new releases, lots of classics and TV episodes. There are no advertisements or trailers, and movies start in as little as 30 seconds. You can fast-forward, rewind, and pause or watch again. The movies & TV episodes you instantly watch are included in your Netflix membership for no additional fee.

Whenever you want to instantly watch content on your iPhone, your iPhone must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (such as one you might have at home or at work, or in public places like coffee shops, book stores, hotels, airports, etc.)

If this functionality were available, how likely would you or someone in your household be to instantly watch movies & TV episodes on your iPhone via a Wi-Fi network?
Despite a report last August that Netflix would soon be adding access for the iPhone, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings noted the following month that such a service was likely but would not be deployed in the "short term". Today's report notes, however, that earlier surveys asking users about interest in streaming to gaming systems such as the PlayStation 3 and Wii did precede introduction of those services, suggesting that the company may be moving forward with plans for the iPhone.

Article Link: Netflix Surveying Users Regarding Interest in iPhone Streaming via Wi-Fi

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

HackingNetflix reports (via TechCrunch) that DVD rental and streaming service Netflix has issued a survey to some of its users including a question asking about their interest in using a Netflix iPhone application to watch streamed video offerings via Wi-Fi.

I think this would be great on the ipad. I would really like it if they had a way to download the movie for some period of time like Apple TV. This would let me take the iPad on the road with a few movies and watch them as needed.

Comment

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
I think this would be great on the ipad. I would really like it if they had a way to download the movie for some period of time like Apple TV. This would let me take the iPad on the road with a few movies and watch them as needed.

Honestly I think this is where their interest lies. They just don't want to announce it yet so they asked about the iPhone.

Comment

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I have been hoping for this for a long time. I would watch it on my iPhone or my iPad when I get it.

I tend to load movies right now on my iPhone and just prop my phone up in my office to have something playing. But I can only fit 3 or 4 movies along with my music and apps. I stream a lot of NetFlix at home currently on my XBOX 360.

Comment

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I'm curious as to how this might impact AppleTV's place in the HOME theater market. Could a Subscription deal between NetFlix and Apple be far behind.

Comment

Techtistic

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
I hope this become a reality.

I would love the ability to watch on my iPhone or my wife's iPod touch. I've been wanting this for some time. Even if it's WiFi only, that's fine with me. I would use it to watch TV in bed (Dexter & SVU!) and it would be great for lunch at work.

Comment

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
If they released an iPad app where I could manage my queue and stream movies I'd never go on netflix.com on my laptop anymore.

Comment

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I love Netflix, I would cancel pretty much every service besides internet before canceling it.

So yeah I really want a Netflix app on iPhone/iPad.

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I have the iPhone to TV cable. Makes movie night at a friend's house quite nifty.
I know that aud/vid out is limited to iPod, but it would be cool if Netflix streaming to iPhone or iPad would play on a TV.

Comment

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I love the idea and hope it comes to the ipad as well. My only issue is why only wifi?? Apple and ATT have lifted the restrictions of streaming video over 3G, so don't see why netflix wouldn't want to take advantage of that.

Comment

bassplayer13

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
I love Netflix as well. I wish they did have newer titles available for streaming. I know they are growing it all the time, but it seems when I am looking for a movie they are not available to stream and it ends up being a little bit of a bummer. :confused:

Comment

msbsound

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I agree that this is in prep for the ipad, but I have to admit that it would be great sitting in an airport or even on a lunch break at work and being able to pull up a flick on my iphone.

I recently returned to netflix, and I have to say it's been great. This would make it even better though.

Comment

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
that might be cool. It would have to be easy to stop and start movies - like watch part of a movie during the commute each morning and see a film over 2-3 days. Can't remember right now if current netflix streaming 'remembers' where you stopped if you pause a movie and leave netflix and come back another day.

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
If they released an iPad app where I could manage my queue and stream movies I'd never go on netflix.com on my laptop anymore.

Exactly...I love iPhone apps like that...love my ATT Wireless app as well (to pay bill, check mins, etc). Now if only my credit card companies and other service providers would mimick the ATT Wireless app...

-Eric

Comment

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I love Netflix as well. I wish they did have newer titles available for streaming. I know they are growing it all the time, but it seems when I am looking for a movie they are not available to stream and it ends up being a little bit of a bummer. :confused:

I only use streaming when I don't know what I want to watch. I almost never find anything I am looking for in their DVD catalogue that's streamable.

Comment

JayMan8081

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Dayton, OH
I think this would be a great thing to have and it doesn't bother me that it's only over wi-fi since I have an iPod Touch. I would also agree that I utilize Netflix a lot currently streaming to my Xbox 360 and would cancel other things before ditching my Internet+Netflix combo.

Comment

alexk82

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
East Coast
+1

+1 for this, but this really isn't news, if it was over 3G I'd be more interested.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The only problem is that at home, you're not going to watch movies on your portable device but rather on your computer. Anywhere else you most often have to pay for every minute of WiFi, so watching a 2 hour long movie would cost a lot.

If this worked over 3G, that would be awesome.

Comment

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
+1 for this, but this really isn't news, if it was over 3G I'd be more interested.

The only problem is that at home, you're not going to watch movies on your portable device but rather on your computer. Anywhere else you most often have to pay for every minute of WiFi, so watching a 2 hour long movie would cost a lot.

If this worked over 3G, that would be awesome.

Jailbreak + 3G Unrestrictor = a solution to your dilemma

Comment

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Another yes to Netflix, please. These are fun times.

I sound like a broken record, I'd cancel my cable in a minute.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.