Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix plans to increase the price of its ad-free subscription plans a few months after the end of the Hollywood actors strike, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Netflix-Smaller-2.jpg

Prices will go up in the United States and Canada first, and it is not yet clear how much more Netflix will charge. Netflix last raised prices at the beginning of 2022, charging $9.99 per month for the Basic plan, $15.49 per month for the Standard plan, and $19.99 per month for the Premium plan.

Netflix has since eliminated the Basic plan and added a Standard with ads plan that is priced at $6.99 per month. The company has also ended all multi-household sharing, so Netflix users must reside in the same location to share a Netflix plan, otherwise there is an additional cost for another member slot.

Multiple streaming services have been raising their prices this year. Ad-free Disney+ streaming will soon be $13.99 per month, and ad-free Hulu is going to be $17.99 per month following price hikes set to go live this month. There is no specific word yet on when Netflix will raise prices.

Article Link: Netflix to Raise Ad-Free Subscription Prices Soon

• Angry
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Well the drones all kept Netflix and went out of their way to make sure that Netflix knew cost didn’t matter as long as they had their babysitters.

Sky is the limit. Rake in that cash.

I’ll continue to be one of the few that said enough is enough after being a 4K member since 2011.

Reasonably priced single 4K stream no ads for people that don’t have families is the only carrot that would make me consider coming back.

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I still have the $9.99 plan that Netflix used to offer for one user (without ads) so I’m curious to see if my price will stay the same once Netflix makes this change - I’m going to try to stay on that plan as long as I can so that I don’t have to get the $15.49 plan instead

The only difference is that my plan is for one user versus the $15.49/month plan is for two simultaneous users

Andain

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
I remember when we used to talk on music forums back in late 2000s when Spotify was announced. How the hell can an all-you-can-eat business plan for $8-10 (back then) be financially viable for the arts in general (regardless music, movies etc). It will never work. They are already approaching 90s cable tv prices, we have gone full circle lol.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
After cancelling Max in August, I now only have Amazon Prime for streaming. Amazon is going to get the can soon too. I don't order enough anymore (kids are in college) or even use it for streaming.
I have prime as well... and think there should be an award for the number of movies or shows started and turned off within 10 minutes. That is to say it is hard to find something worth watching amungst all the library building filler they have.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I canceled last year after signing up at launch in 2008. $20/mo for 4K streaming to one TV in our home, and occasionally one iPad or Mac was just not worth it for their sorry lineup. Hope they keep bleeding users. I'm over Netflix, and really much of TV. Even Disney+ is seeming like not such a great deal, it's mostly rehashed Star Wars and Marvel stuff that I'm also over. But the kids enjoy it. It's on the edge right now.

I just don't really care for a lot of TV right now, except for, funnily enough, Apple TV+ which has been making some really great shows. It's just bundled in with my Apple One which I think is a pretty good deal for everything I get for my entire family.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I don’t see how the streaming services can make money long term. The business model doesn’t make sense to me — it encourages consumption, but you have to keep offering new content, which will continue to cost more, leading to lower profit, leading to higher consumer prices to make up for the lost profit. At what point does the consumer wake up and step out of this doom loop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.