Netshare banned.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cynicalone, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I guess it's official now.

http://www.nullriver.com/home/news

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

3. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

greed will be the downfall of modern man in my opinion. Why do they cut their nose off to spite their face? I mean if they do this people would take more notice if they are business users.

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I have it already just hope they dont remote wipe it.

5. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have it also and with each update I test it to see if it still works. I was hoping that AT&T would eventually give us the option to add it to our calling plans. I currently use a USB 881 laptop connect card when I travel and would have loved to have used my phone instead. I was hoping for an Apple supported tethering option soon not an outright ban. *sigh*

6. pintnight macrumors 6502

If they do, I will demand that they refund me the money.

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the carriers are responsible for this. It's a lot easier to push the limits of "unlimited data" while tethering. Not so unlimited after all.

8. aforty macrumors 65816

Glad I bought it before it got banned. Cheers suckers! :p

9. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I would say so. My Macbook Air gets some really good 3G speeds with the Netshare App. So I would say the phone is more than capable of doing it.

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Apple are just giving users more reasons to jailbreak their phones. I will also be requesting a refund if they mess with the application I paid for.

11. fa.ce macrumors 6502

It's a totally nonsense: non USA iPhone users ...

It's incredible but Apple seems to forget that sells iPhone non only in USA with AT&T limitations data plan but also in countries where users have illimited data plan ...

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Why not do that now, anyway?

13. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I thought that it was already confirmed that it had been removed. I guess it's nice to have someone who knows what they're talking about state the fact though, huh?

14. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

Here here. Even though I plan on keeping the app, I think Apple should pay international customers their money back because now essentially not upgradable and future upgrades of the firmware could break Netshare.

As a customer of Fido in Canada, I don't give a rat's ass about AT&T or what they want or don't want on their network. AT&T can take a flying leap off a short pier for interfering with customers of other carriers in other countries.

Should we start a petition? Should we start a letter writing campaign to get it reinstated in other stores?

I'm so livid right now that I'd not only like to get my money back but punitive damages as well and for Apple to foot the bill. I want 1000 dollars for my pain and suffering.

Based on my communications with Fido, I know that they do not care if I use Netshare.

15. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Class Action! :D Alan Shore and Denny Crane are back in the office next week. Maybe they'll be happy to take on your case for you?

16. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

This is a shame. I'm glad I was able to buy it while it was available, and I also hope that Apple doesn't disable it somehow.

I wonder if NullRiver will consider distributing it ad hoc with a "donation" like Podcaster is doing? I bet lots of people would do that.

17. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I can't believe Apple did this!

They allowed an App, stopped it, allowed it and then stopped it and banned it!

Where's the consitency there?!

Well anyway, if anything happens, I can say I got it from the App Store (Official) :) Lol.

18. samab macrumors 6502a

Have you seen other countries' iphone plans --- mostly 250 MB, 500 MB and 1 GB. Then there are carriers with iphone plans that reduced speed down to 2G after certain data allowance is reached.

19. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I'm glad I bought it and got a refund for it.

20. jmelrose macrumors regular

Actually...

I thought Macrumors had posted something a few weeks back saying Apple was considering offering an "official" method for tethering.

Which would be kinda the biggest kick in the teeth for those who bought Netshare: provide an official method but still allow use of Netshare, so then there's no recourse for the purchasers to seek out a refund. Yet the folks using Netshare know they have a piece of software they have little use for anymore.

All a moot discussion anyway until Apple/ATT decide to announce such an option. Maybe i'll be back soon but is pulled to fix bugs brought about by 2.1 or something.

21. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Not really - the Netshare people get free internet on the laptops (as they already pay for internet), the tethering option will most certainly have a monthly fee attached.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

While Apple is the one removing it from the app store, the Telco's are behind it.

For those out there with Netshare:

• How well does it work?
    • Will it work with the 2.1 software update?
    • Can you receive Netshare updates?

23. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Yes, it works with the 2.1 upgrade and no you can't get any upgrades.

24. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

• Very fast, excellent 3G speeds.
    • Yes
    • No

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.